Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-12-2022, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All of what you guys have said is predicated on the fact that you can even get into a good guild. Something I haven't had a lot of luck with. Been rejected from the "top" guilds and the guilds below them are do-nothings that refuse to play with anyone outside their established inner cliques, and who get stomped when it comes to anything serious by aforementioned top guilds anyway.

Never did end up getting that Concussion spell.

The best guild I've managed to find on this server that actually accepted me was Dial a Port, and well, we all know they're not the type of guild that can muster any kind of epic help.

Just have a hard time seeing this server as being accepting or casual friendly. Years of trying to find a place and a community here have ended in failure. Don't know what else I can do. It took playing on Live, many extra levels, agents of change, mercenaries, and an NPC wizard for me to finally be able to see Plane of Hate. How sad is that?
Not sure if you're on Blue at all but if you are then you could try Kittens. They are pretty welcoming and occasionally compete for top content depending on the day (i.e., how many people they can field on that specific day).

Like any of the other top raiding guilds though, it is going to take awhile to build up DKP to get the good stuff (unless you're a class where drops rot frequently).
Old 09-12-2022, 05:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if you're on Blue at all but if you are then you could try Kittens. They are pretty welcoming and occasionally compete for top content depending on the day (i.e., how many people they can field on that specific day).

Like any of the other top raiding guilds though, it is going to take awhile to build up DKP to get the good stuff (unless you're a class where drops rot frequently).
I thought about trying Blue, but Green is where all of my wealth is, and it's hard to let go of a tink bag, box of abu-kar among many other things.

It doesn't help either that my favorite class (wizard) isn't considered very good and is ostracized to hell and back on this server.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought about trying Blue, but Green is where all of my wealth is, and it's hard to let go of a tink bag, box of abu-kar among many other things.

It doesn't help either that my favorite class (wizard) isn't considered very good and is ostracized to hell and back on this server.
I mean for a top raiding guild a Wizard is going to be valuable. The leveling path kind of sucks because you're right it's harder to find groups but you do have value for a top guild (certainly more than some of the other classes).

Wealth is pretty easy to come by in classic EQ with a bit of time. If you're willing to be a little evil in terms of the NPCs you kill you can make good plat just XPing. I mean damn the other day I made a couple thousand platinum in a level just killing some random dwarf guards in BB. Decent gear on Blue is relatively cheap, the guilds are a bit more relaxed in terms of requirements than they are on Green (or than they used to be on Green), and if you're set on playing a caster class you don't really need much gear anyway.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

I'm a wizard, I was in DAP, I had a great time with them and I look forward to getting a druid alt in with them some day, and I recently left them to pursue my own raiding goals. I hope I left them on amiable terms, I think I did. Being rejected and ostracized for being a wizard has not been my experience at all.

I've heard some guilds have recently removed their raid attendance requirements, maybe you could look into them? Most of the raiding guilds have recruitment threads on this forum.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean for a top raiding guild a Wizard is going to be valuable. The leveling path kind of sucks because you're right it's harder to find groups but you do have value for a top guild (certainly more than some of the other classes).
It's definitely boring, but wizard quadding is _pretty_ dope. I guess not being in a guild though can make it pretty unfun. At least if you've got g-chat you can talk to people between pulls.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Wizards are in demand for raiding just FYI. Train-outs, TL's, and DPS are all important and welcomed for raiding. I don't think they are really ostracized except by a fraction of people that think all wizards are lazy in groups because they just med, nuke, and afk while refusing to provide any other utility for the group. If you fall into that category of wizard, then I can understand thinking they are ostracized. My friend just got his to 51 in short order through a mix of grouping, duo's, and quading and is having a blast.

I don't know the guild dynamic on Green or how Kingdom does their recruiting, but I'm also not surprised that a level 20 character with no reputation or higher characters wasn't greated very enthusiastically by a top raid guild. The road to 60, especially on a first toon, is usually long and arduous and more people never make it 60 here than do. I'm in the camp that the best thing you can do for any toon to increase your utility and usefulness is to get 60 and then really start worrying about raiding and gear (more hp at 60, mana, more spells, more likely to resist AE's, etc..). A better path to go would be to get into a leveling/social guild and make some friends and memories on the ride to 56+, and then worry about a raid guild. With this path you'll most likely meet some people that will help you choose which raiding guild you want to join. There's groups of people/friends from guilds like TSS and Kittens or Ex Astra that apply 'together' to raid guilds all of the time.

Just my 2 cp.

And as far as casual raiding? I was able to go to my son's baseball game, come home, and hit 4 raid targets in the 2-3 hours before dinner. That's pretty casual to me. Sometimes my monthly raid attendence is 25%, and sometimes it's 1% and no one has ever said a word to me. Life happens and even the top raid guilds now are just happy that you show up when you can and play your classes well.
Last edited by -TK-; 09-12-2022 at 06:06 PM..
Old 09-12-2022, 06:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's definitely boring, but wizard quadding is _pretty_ dope. I guess not being in a guild though can make it pretty unfun. At least if you've got g-chat you can talk to people between pulls.
I actually enjoyed quadding, even if I sucked at it. Died more often than I care to admit during the TD portion, those backstabbing birds got me quite a bit. But that was mostly when the place was infested with druids and I had to dig deep high into the tree to grab a pull.

Like I don't mind soloing to level, it just seriously sucks when you need things that require a group like the staff of temp flux, the acumen mask, the concussion spell, etc, and not a single person out there is willing to help or invite you to anything. If I couldn't get help for those, what chance did I ever have of getting an epic? Those were the seriously depressing moments I faced on this server. There were moments where I did struggle to level on my own, after a string of bad kites and deaths, and I'd ask my guild "hey can I join your hole group or something for a bit?" and they'd respond with crickets.
Last edited by tadkins; 09-12-2022 at 06:11 PM..
Old 09-12-2022, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards are in demand for raiding just FYI. Train-outs, TL's, and DPS are all important and welcomed for raiding. I don't think they are really ostracized except by a fraction of people that think all wizards are lazy in groups because they just med, nuke, and afk while refusing to provide any other utility for the group. If you fall into that category of wizard, then I can understand thinking they are ostracized. My friend just got his to 51 in short order through a mix of grouping, duo's, and quading and is having a blast.

I don't know the guild dynamic on Green or how Kingdom does their recruiting, but I'm also not surprised that a level 20 character with no reputation or higher characters wasn't greated very enthusiastically by a top raid guild. The road to 60, especially on a first toon, is usually long and arduous and more people never make it 60 here than do. I'm in the camp that the best thing you can do for any toon to increase your utility and usefulness is to get 60 and then really start worrying about raiding and gear (more hp at 60, mana, more spells, more likely to resist AE's, etc..). A better path to go would be to get into a leveling/social guild and make some friends and memories on the ride to 56+, and then worry about a raid guild. With this path you'll most likely meet some people that will help you choose which raiding guild you want to join. There's groups of people/friends from guilds like TSS and Kittens or Ex Astra that apply 'together' to raid guilds all of the time.

Just my 2 cp.
What does a wizard do besides nuke, root for CC, have an evac loaded, and occasionally stun cleric mobs? Honest question, because that's what I always thought to do in a group (if I were ever invited to one).

But yeah, I was just trying to make some friends. I never had any luck in the lower end guilds like Castle, FoH and FoW, who basically didn't really care about anyone but their inner cliques. So I thought I'd try Kingdom. Wasn't looking for anything but people to talk to, and possibly make some friends by the time I got up there to raiding. So it did hurt a little when they flat out rejected me. Pretty sure Seal Team also straight up laughed at my attempts to join them too.

So you can understand why I feel a bit jaded when it comes to this community. What is even left after all that?

I could potentially join Blue and try my luck there, but I'm also afraid of the same things happening, just in a newbie robe, no gear and no money on top of that.
Last edited by tadkins; 09-12-2022 at 06:16 PM..
Old 09-12-2022, 06:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Honest question, but what does a wizard do besides nuke, root for CC, have an evac loaded, and occasionally stun cleric mobs? Honest question, because that's what I always thought to do in a group (if I were ever invited to one).
You're on the right track with that for groups, imo. Help CC, nuke, stun, and evac are all great. Wars in groups love it when you root mobs 99% of the time because they can use the proximity mechanic to keep aggro. If you get in a group just let them know you're available to help CC and will watch for when stuns are needed. You could also find a fun duo or trio to level with. It's great exp and will keep you a little busier than a full group might. I will defer to the wizard pros around here for good solo/duo tips.

When you raid you can learn to do train outs which are critical to raid success nowadays, you can TL monks and debuffers during pulls and engages to help make plays happen, and every non-caster in the raid is looking for a TL after the kill to move on to the next target.

It does take a while to make those friendships on a new server, especially if your playtime is limited, but don't be afraid to use your friend's list and hit up people you might have leveled or grouped with when you can play to see what they are up to. Reputation matters a lot here more than live, and people will always tend to gravitate towards the friendly and helpful players they meet. Sometimes I just log on and check my friends list to see how people are doing or what they are into if I don't have long.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're on the right track with that for groups, imo. Help CC, nuke, stun, and evac are all great. Wars in groups love it when you root mobs 99% of the time because they can use the proximity mechanic to keep aggro. If you get in a group just let them know you're available to help CC and will watch for when stuns are needed. You could also find a fun duo or trio to level with. It's great exp and will keep you a little busier than a full group might. I will defer to the wizard pros around here for good solo/duo tips.

When you raid you can learn to do train outs which are critical to raid success nowadays, you can TL monks and debuffers during pulls and engages to help make plays happen, and every non-caster in the raid is looking for a TL after the kill to move on to the next target.

It does take a while to make those friendships on a new server, especially if your playtime is limited, but don't be afraid to use your friend's list and hit up people you might have leveled or grouped with when you can play to see what they are up to. Reputation matters a lot here more than live, and people will always tend to gravitate towards the friendly and helpful players they meet. Sometimes I just log on and check my friends list to see how people are doing or what they are into if I don't have long.
This may incriminate me a bit by saying this, but I honestly hate duoing. It's all of the downsides to grouping with no real noticable upside. Exp feels like it slows to a trickle in a duo. I like soloing because I can alt-tab or AFK when I need to in between med breaks, but I feel like I can't really do that in a duo. I have to sit there and entertain my partner. There doesn't seem to be a lot I can accomplish with a duo that can't be done solo; if duoing meant I could go do a cool quest or an epic or something, that'd be different.

I just prefer to either solo, or be deep in a dungeon somewhere with a full group. Is that wrong?