Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO If you are scheduling your life around a video game you are no longer casual.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The neckiest of the beards do schedule, however 75-90% of anyone who has earned any dkp ever simply logs on when they see a batphone message on their phones from discord and they have the time to log in, kill the mob, and log off.

Quakes are a little different because so much DKP can be earned in a short time.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

If a video game guild has your contact info, or if you're dropping what you're doing to log in on-call, or if you're being paid (real or fake currency) for your time online, you are not casual. A casual could make some time for draft days once in awhile, probably, or budget some time for a weekly Plane of Air trip. P99 is some bizarro world where you're a filthy casual if you aren't putting in 60 hours a week online. Most of the actual casuals on P99 aren't hanging out on the forums, and few of them raid to any significant extent. Probably most the P99'ers in threads like these are someplace in the middle, moderate-hours gamers who don't get a fancy term.

Danth
Old 10-06-2022, 03:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO If you are scheduling your life around a video game you are no longer casual.
Nah, you're just shortsighted and see things in black and white while ignoring the greys. Not that my post even says I schedule to play very often as I usually just play when it's convenient for me, but don't most people schedule their hobbies?

Sports fans schedule hours to watch games, hikers schedule days for hiking trips, people plan drinks with friends sometimes at a moment's notice (batphoned!), FPS players schedule times to FPS with their boys, basketweavers schedule time to basketweave, etc... At the end of the day EQ is a hobby for most players so giving people shit for scheduling time for their hobby is just strange and out of touch.

The truest neckbeards on blue are maybe a total of 20-25 people between the top two guilds that seem to have an unusually high amount of time to play, but hey, to each their own if that's your bag. I'm physically fit/active and have a great RL while still managing to kill some dragons and hang out with my internet friends a couple times a week. If that's copium then I'm coping hard! It's honestly never been better to be a casual player on P99. I've never once been pressured by my guild to play more than I do, and they are always happy when I show up to help out.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably most the P99'ers in threads like these are someplace in the middle, moderate-hours gamers who don't get a fancy term.

Danth
Casual < enthusiast < neckbeard?

Everquest enthusiast has a nice ring to it.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, you're just shortsighted and see things in black and white while ignoring the greys. Not that my post even says I schedule to play very often as I usually just play when it's convenient for me, but don't most people schedule their hobbies?

Sports fans schedule hours to watch games, hikers schedule days for hiking trips, people plan drinks with friends sometimes at a moment's notice (batphoned!), FPS players schedule times to FPS with their boys, basketweavers schedule time to basketweave, etc... At the end of the day EQ is a hobby for most players so giving people shit for scheduling time for their hobby is just strange and out of touch.

The truest neckbeards on blue are maybe a total of 20-25 people between the top two guilds that seem to have an unusually high amount of time to play, but hey, to each their own if that's your bag. I'm physically fit/active and have a great RL while still managing to kill some dragons and hang out with my internet friends a couple times a week. If that's copium then I'm coping hard! It's honestly never been better to be a casual player on P99. I've never once been pressured by my guild to play more than I do, and they are always happy when I show up to help out.
I agree with you generally, but if you're cancelling other plans on a weekend for example because things are in window then I would say you're not a casual. Sometimes choosing to not make plans on like a Friday night because your guild raids X zone each week that night does not make you a neckbeard like the other guy claims though.