Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 11-07-2022, 03:47 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People will aggregate, its almost impossible to dodge. What you can do is limit the harm this does to a minimum. For example, on red early on the biggest problem by far was that Nihilum could sit in fear forever, farm for gear that will make them even harder to drive out because no one wanted to eat xp death. What should have happened is guerilla outfits going in and making them work for it, sneaking in kills for a while after wipes, etc... Im quite sure this is the main reason why the server failed. To use your expression, it did not respect players' time. Off the top of my head the solutions dont come up (besides not doing something bad like xp loss in pvp) but im sure there are some and its important to collectively think about them imo and have a post where the pitfalls can be laid out and solutions proposed.

Also, if the server is a huge time investment like red, you develop trust issues with bad management. Why would i waste my time putting in time on a character on a 1X xp server where devs watch the pop go from 600 to 9 at nite without reacting when the fix is easy to implement and clear, nerf xp on a fragile pop server? They clearly dont give a shit about their players, that was a recurring thought in my head from classic to kunark. They give a shit about putting a server up, thanks for that, but it feels like it doesnt go beyond that. It almost feels like something Rogean did for his portfolio, something to show off in RL for whatever IT job hes jonesing for and nothing beyond that. Im sure i wasnt the only player who left during Kunark who juggled and weighted these questions in their heads before deciding to quit for good. Its quite a road to 60 and when you see devs pull moves like the xp nerf or leave the server to rot through their inaction that predictably will lead to a dead server when you do get to 60, i got better things to do with my time.

Its the same exact situation 10 years later, instead of just saying "well never do red 2.0, this is all there will be" as a lifebuoy for the existing population (as it will lead people on the fence to decide to play as there will never be anything else, helping the population grow a little) or "its still coming we just dont know when" so that 1.0 players can make an informed decision if they want to invest time or wait for a new server, people are left to rot. Its a 5 minute thing to do, a respect-your-players-time gesture toward the population thats still playing, but they are not going to do it. They still dont give a shit about their playerbase beyond heres a server, take it or leave it.

With a casual-friendly, boosted xp server, this lack of communication, apprehension of terrible decisions down the line is less of an issue. Like you said, if its fun people will play it. The ruleset either works for you or doesnt and its not a big deal if the plug is pulled on the server out of the blue, which is basically the only advantage i can think of from p99 vs less stable servers. If its not a big time investment, then if something happens you dont like with the ruleset, you can just quit.
Any PvP server needs to have the experience boosted. Nobody wants to put 1,000+ hours into leveling a character on a pvp server
Old 11-08-2022, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

I disagree.

Any short term server needs to have exp boosted because no one wants to put the time in to level a toon that will stop existing in two months.

However a real classic eq pvp server can have the same exp setup as a normal server. Preferably with level caps progressing through content so people don’t just rush the levels to get the best loot fastest.

But ya this server seems like leveling up won’t be too onerous.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 11-08-2022 at 05:30 PM..
Old 11-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

yeah super fast EXP gains, with BIG losses for death might be enough to balance it out too.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:53 PM
Skeleton

COH PVP was the best PVP server
Old 12-28-2022, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
QvF worked because Vile actually knew what he was doing for balance and I was able to implement his ideas.

Vile was a goddamn chad and one of the best designers I've ever met in Emu outside of Ailia

You started at 35 (a great idea) and getting to max level quickly to PvP was a solid idea.
I'd be concerned there would be a lack of content if we were to do that idea again. Y'all are too content starved for QvF to work again.

A PvP server that respected peoples' time, did not have corpse runs, fundamentally followed era-appropriate rules with major custom changes, and limited the ability to zerg and bind rush folks would be immensely popular.
<3

I'd be down to collaborate again, anytime! Hit me up, seriously -- hope all is well.

RE: QvF -- content-wise, I had plans! You could easily make quest lines and epic fights within the "world" of the 4-6 zones... then you could release new "satellite areas" and rinse and repeat.

A big thing I pushed for even going back to OG VZTZ is that plugging needs to be nixed. If a character plugs, they should be popped on the other side LD and auto-fight back.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah super fast EXP gains, with BIG losses for death might be enough to balance it out too.
I think theres space for both types of servers if we had a population for them. Although at this point i simply do not give a fuck about a server here, even if they come up with one theyve sort of squeezed every ml of faith i have in them doing things right.

A 1x server, but with the right setup. The big variable is if people show up. Again, i doubt at this point many people would show up beyond people who dont have a grasp of the track record of things here.

Or a boosted xp server, probably more chances of being populated at this point.

But to me i think its time to give up on the dreams of recreating Rallos or any type of populated server, the pop just isnt there barring things like a popular streamer dropping hundreds of people here like a miracle (it happened on a DAOC server).

Basically at this point i think the only viable types of servers is the ones (forgot his name) is fucking with, reducing the size of the world to make smaller populations viable for EQ. This has the added advantage of devs trying things out, and have seasonal, fun content refined over time to a polished, low pop custom experience.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

#1 reason I don't log in is I don't have 8+ hours a day plus.

I have lake Rathe manmorized. I go there in my own head whenever I want.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

Vile + Secrets, hope you guys make some magic happen.

It's been a long time.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A big thing I pushed for even going back to OG VZTZ is that plugging needs to be nixed. If a character plugs, they should be popped on the other side LD and auto-fight back.
rise of zek managed to do this a majority of the time that people try to plug, and it has made pvp so much better
Old 01-08-2023, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

imo if u ld in a zone line u go to a city bind with a 30 min debuff