Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 10-23-2022, 02:33 AM
Fire Giant

Default Should I roll a custom PvP server and what kind should it be?

I'm thinking about making a custom PvP server of some kind. My initial thought is a "duels" type server where there is some kind of outfitting and leveling mechanic built in and a leaderboard.

Just fast one on one duels where you both agree to a certain level and choose a race/class. For example you choose level 40 duel, both people are leveled to 40 and can choose gear from a vendor with level range appropriate stuff, possibly puts players into an instanced zone for the fight.

If this is successful and popular I could see it expanding from there to group v group duels, raid mob recreations, etc. Goal of the server is to just rip out all of the tedium and let people fight. You should be able to fight again within 10 seconds of ending a duel. No waiting on hp/mana or running back to your corpse.

To provide a lasting result from winning duels beyond the score board I was thinking players could be forced to have certain appearances based on their score. So even if you're wearing full plate you look like a naked newb if your PvP score is low, on the other hand if your PvP score is high you can have full golden plate or whatever even as a caster. Purely an aesthetic thing where your score effects your appearance.

Aside from that idea I was also thinking of some kind of level capped PvP server. Up to maybe level 20 or so. Limited zones with custom interconnects something like blackburrow/gfay/crushbone as the total map size. Wipe characters weekly or something. Could do random level/zone assignment last man standing kind of PvP too. Every hour the server resets and everyone is assigned the same random level with a different random location. Ten players, they're all made level 30, and enter a random non-hostile spot in the world. Goal is to live as long as possible. Mobs drop random level appropriate loot and also get harder over time. Let's say they're level 25 initially, then after 10 minutes all the mobs change to level 30, another 10 minutes and they're 35, etc. This is done in a way to force players to a central zone, the old battle royale type forcefield wall where you have to stay in bounds but instead its done with increasingly harder mobs filling up zones. Death from a mob or player and you're out until the next game starts. Full item loot so there is strategy involved choosing between fighting mobs for loot, fighting players to take their loot, and just hiding to pass the time.

Open to ideas like this for sort of "mini/fast" PvP server concepts that would be viable with low populations. I kind of like the idea of combining both of these concepts. Having a duel function and general hang out zone and also being able to sign up for this kind of hourly battle royale game. The duel/hang out zone is the hub for various types of PvP mini games. Almost like a PvP server that is a framework for EQ PvP and your character exists ephemerally and persistently in some way and is then modified in terms of level, gear, etc to standardize across players allowing for short term variable PvP scenarios.

Your character is "Azxten" but it has no class. Your class is chosen in any given scenario/duel. Your appearance persists and improves over time. Gear doesn't exist outside scenarios/duels.
Last edited by azxten; 10-23-2022 at 02:49 AM..
Old 10-23-2022, 02:37 AM
Planar Protector

Can you try, I've always wanted to try this:

make it so DPS to mobs is like 1000% so you can just slaughter them.

make it so EXP is like 1000% so it takes like a day of slaughtering to get to 60

make death by PVP 100% exp loss back to level 1

full item loot nothing is no drop
Old 10-23-2022, 02:55 AM
Fire Giant

Whats the level range for PvP though? +/-.. 10?
Old 10-23-2022, 03:33 AM
Fire Giant

I wonder if people would be open to an attempt at scaling damage across levels so there is no PvP level range. A level 1 with their starter weapon hits for 5dmg scales to 50dmg to a level 60 player. A level 60 nuking a level 1 for 1500dmg scales to 150dmg. In this simplified scenario the level 1 is still going to get fucked in one spell cast but if they had a HP buff or if there were 10 level 1 characters there starts to be a potential upset.

We can narrow the power band for players while leaving PvE untouched. A guild of level 30s could cause a lot of problems for a group of level 60s kind of scenario.Trying to eliminate that hard level wall where people will find you and send you back to level 1 with a more risky and questionable power dynamic that is always there no matter what level people are. That level 20 you're talking shit to might sneak you when you're low on HP and fighting a mob whereas the current dynamic is they would have almost zero chance of even landing an attack.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:05 AM
Fire Giant

Every level difference between fighters is a 2% change in power. A level 20 nuking for 100dmg does 80% extra (180) against a level 60. A level 60 nuking for 1500dmg does 80% less (300) against a level 20. Something like this that allows players to engage in PvP across a wide level range and tries to find a medium between full PvP no level range masacre and the rigid "you're slightly out of level range so I have to stalk you waiting to send you back to level 1" gamesmanship. In this scenario the level 60 can still kill the level 20 with 1-2 nukes and the level 20 would need 10+ nukes. You're still maintaining this power disparity just not making it so absolute and as a result allowing more mixing together of players across level ranges in PvP instead of the traditional rigid ranged based combat or free for all masacres. At level 50-60 the bonus is still there. A level 50 Wizard gets +20% to ice comet for 1200dmg and the level 60 wizard gets -20% power to whatever 1500dmg spell for 1200dmg. They're roughly equivalent but the level 60 presumably has better gear, the innate stat differences, etc. But the intent is preserved. At level 50+ everyone is viable and your higher level opponents only have marginal benefits that continue to fade away as you catch up in level. Melee and spell damage modified and resistances due to level differences is eliminated.

Anyway I'm serious about putting something together that attempts to get rid of all the bullshit and griefing. Just good times PvP. I'll check back for others ideas don't let me down bros.
Last edited by azxten; 10-23-2022 at 04:08 AM..
Old 10-23-2022, 04:15 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah do the duels server I will play

Prefer one where I can jump on and freevendor everything I need to go mess with people in pvp. Just to mess around
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 10-23-2022 at 04:17 AM..
Old 10-23-2022, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

U can totally normalize stats/dmg in pvp butt hp is hard.

Anyway. The issue is mudflation. Velious gear and high end kunark gear ruines pvp.

The other issue is loosing exp/corpse --

in pvp death u keep ur items and respawn and u don't lose any exp for dying on a pvp server no matter how u die. Normal exp rates. Makes the server more enjoyable to level on.

Also make everyone bind at cities only. Or pvp deaths you go to your city bind and normal deaths from pvp to ur normal bind, everyone can bind at both city and outside city, u cant bind in dungeons. Or 1 zone away from all cities.. Slightly not classic butt much better for pvp. Or add specific graveyards for non-pvp deaths and pvp deaths all go to home temple. (Innoruuk DE to 3rd gate, human errollissi to NFP etc) for pvp. re-itemize good city dungeons and levels for 40-50 item loot. Kunark is open but level cap is 50. Kunark is itemized 1-50 --- if you die in a zone u where pvpd in ur locked out of that zone for 30 minutes unless it's a home city zone and newbie zone. (pvp deaths only, if u run into mobs and the mobs get u u dont suffer this penalty).

And also. Nerf newbie guards back to pre2000 levels so they can be killed by all classes. And nerf guild masters so that it's risky to chase players into city/mobs but u can fight them and its not totally safe.

Also cap faction for evil/good against opposing faction... at best threatening for good players vs evil and vice versa. I would keep FFA butt give ppl bonus for grouping with their fellow team mates. So that ppl still grouped up along RP lines. Butt they could kill their own team if neccissary.

I would also give warriors, rogues, and monks scaling hit point regen based on (WORN stamina only, not base). and give smoll warrior, paladin, SK slam/bash. Warriors would get the most scaling, rogues, next, and monks least bonus hit point regen. Remove fungi tunic and give only rubi bp. TRL and IKS would still have their base racial HP regen on top of this bonus regen.

In pvp instead of coin/items ppl drop pvp tokens so that the victors can buy smol regen/clarity 1 pots, minor thorns, minor haste, a minor low lvl dd etc, (not the highest skills tho). cap pot spells at like lvl 30 version, stack to 20 a piece. Pots are instant click.

Remove gate pots, but keep in stuff like nullify wands.

There is absolutely no PnP. Training is allowed. (training wouldnt be a big deal with PvE graveyard solution) because the penalty for pvE death wouldnt be that big.

magical and loot Items are 1000x more rare and randomized like bristelbane on a per-dungeon basis). So guk items are randomized throughought guk, but u wont see guk items in solba/a etc.

sorry this insn't super concice i dont feel super well enough to write gud

max resists would be extremly hard and impossible u would have to chose between having high MR or high CR etc...

I would limit pvp root/mez/stun duration totally to like 5 seconds / 1 second stuns but not in pvE, i would up the resist on pvp stuns to like 50/50 so u would need like 12 ppl to keep someone rooted/stun locked, butt if ur fighting 12 ppl u are either bad or got in trouble. Fear charm would follow the above rules in pvp.

I would make charm not dispellable. Mage pets, animations, would bash real good and have player resists. But take a lot more dmg from players. Charm would nerf mob dmg output by 50%

necro pets wouldn't bash good but they would lifetap good and be much more annoying/tanky low dps tho

pve/pvp corpses wouldnt poof if mobs kill eachother.

warrior shiled bash dmg would make shileds competative in pvE and do gooder dmg based on skill/shield ac i would try to adjust them like 2-5% behind 2h and 2hs -- and also generate a lot more agro

a succesful taunt on a player would make the player spin to face and target the warrior but only for an instant.

more see invis items/potions/ or worn see invis items and potions, rogue invis isn't seen by see invis. no insta click invis, but more invis items./potions with like a 2 sec cast

all items with invis/see invis are 1 charge only
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-23-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Old 10-23-2022, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whats the level range for PvP though? +/-.. 10?
Thats fine with me, Im used to the usual 5 but w/e Im sure it'd be so broken to just have no level limits but I wonder what it'd be like after all too on a discord server.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

honestly pppl being OOR isn't that big a deal

another solution would be everyone starts naked lvl 60 and it's just a pvp/rp server
Old 10-23-2022, 05:12 PM
Banned

The best content on rallos was duking it out with other players for camps or special event mobs although during the halloween event of 2001 players were uncharacteristically helpful and non-hostile. It was best because no one (staff) had to lift a finger to make it happen and it was just the funnest part of the whole thing, what we now call emerging content. I would literally play 12h straight in crushbone, smoke weed and mix pve and pvp. Go to sleep and when i logged back in the next day, at any hour of the day, the "event" was still going on, everyone was still fighting and making groups for protection, getting to know people.

Crushbone, the entrance of paw, Highpass, Guk, all these places were "counterstrike maps" to chuckle a bit at rogean and how he let the ball drop on that one. Basically if i had the technical know-how to run a server, thats the way i would go. Just make the halloween event permanent (special mobs spawning in different zones dropping no-drop loot) or recurring, and use that as blueprint to make other special kinds of mobs spawn in zones that the players organically fight over.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 10-23-2022 at 05:30 PM..