Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 10-23-2022, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wonder if people would be open to an attempt at scaling damage across levels so there is no PvP level range. A level 1 with their starter weapon hits for 5dmg scales to 50dmg to a level 60 player. A level 60 nuking a level 1 for 1500dmg scales to 150dmg. In this simplified scenario the level 1 is still going to get fucked in one spell cast but if they had a HP buff or if there were 10 level 1 characters there starts to be a potential upset.

We can narrow the power band for players while leaving PvE untouched. A guild of level 30s could cause a lot of problems for a group of level 60s kind of scenario.Trying to eliminate that hard level wall where people will find you and send you back to level 1 with a more risky and questionable power dynamic that is always there no matter what level people are. That level 20 you're talking shit to might sneak you when you're low on HP and fighting a mob whereas the current dynamic is they would have almost zero chance of even landing an attack.
Thats the most archaic part of EQ IMO. WoW when i first played it made EQ pvp feel immediately dated because you could take down a level 50 with my 27 priest and 2 other lower level players, something that would never happen in EQ.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:32 PM
Fire Giant

Put in a bit of work. I have a Rallos NPC in Arena now that you can talk to and he sends you to an instance of Arena. I think he needs the ability to create a duel challenge and for someone else to accept it.

So you would say, "I want a level 20 duel" and he responds "Your duel is ready, it is called 001" and another play says "I accept duel 001" and it levels both players to 20, gears them, and sends them to Arena with PvP flag on. As soon as one player dies or leaves the other player is ejected back to Arena (non-instance) and PvP stats are updated.

That will be the basic initial functionality. I'll also need a way to allow modifying gear instead of just a standard set of gear. Possibly a separate duel type like, "I want a level 20 duel using vendors" and then it just keeps the gear you have on your character. The vendor is in the non-instanced zone so you prep ahead of time.

It should also be trivial to allow other zones, mobs or no mobs, etc. So you could say "I want a level 60 duel in Sebilis with mobs using vendors" and it puts two players in Sebilis in a random location and kills any mobs within X units of them so you're not immediately dropped into combat. Stuff like that.

It doesn't seem like that much more to work out a command system to create a group duel, people say "I accept duel 001 on team A" and you can see the teams, etc.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by azxten; 10-23-2022 at 07:35 PM..
Old 10-23-2022, 08:34 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Something like this.. and now we have our duel creator as a qglobal variable and the accepter as a qglobal variable grouped under a unique battle ID. Next both PCs are ported to an instance with the same unique identifier to fight. I'll add some collision logic now and prevent other people from accepting a duel after it has already started. Then the tricky part of changing levels, gear, PvP flags, and reverting it all outside the instance. Recording win/loss stats should be easy. Also a forcing mechanism so people only zone to Arena (non-instanced) no matter what they do. Create a character, die, teleport, zone, etc it all leads back to Arena. Only instances could be zones that aren't Arena, I also like the idea of allowing leaving the Arena and playing a persistent character with a modified PvP ruleset but that would be later.

I also thought it would be hilarious to create an invisble observer character in instances that makes a video recording of the fight and posts it up on YouTube or something so all fights can be shared.
Last edited by azxten; 10-23-2022 at 08:40 PM..
Old 10-23-2022, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

I like this duel idea damn i hope one day we can replace /gems with it, while you med.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

10/10 full support you have my axe
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:08 PM
Fire Giant

Registered new domain and bought a dedicated server.

Instanced dueling is fully functional now. PvP kill broadcast is in. Have to set player skills to the appropriate level, populate their spellbook, and implement a gear system. Version 1 is almost live, hopefully next weekend.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you try, I've always wanted to try this:

make it so DPS to mobs is like 1000% so you can just slaughter them.

make it so EXP is like 1000% so it takes like a day of slaughtering to get to 60

make death by PVP 100% exp loss back to level 1

full item loot nothing is no drop
Played on a wow server like this and can attest to the satisfaction that comes from sending someone back to the starting line being supreme to the highest degree.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

duels are trash, the fun part about everquest is the open world pvp, not signing up for a duel ... the more dirty the pvp gets the better it is, the more angry people become the more fun the game is, you cannot simulate this in a quick way but people need to have a massive amount of time invested into the server for it to happen organically, that is the elfsimulator we love.

where is rogean, has he left us? nilberg wru? we have been abandoned bros, bless brad for he would not abandon us, may he snort the finest colombian white in heaven
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:37 PM
Banned

star wars time remix
Old 10-26-2022, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Praying 4u and ur new box while I'm disabled in bed