Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 01-15-2022, 07:10 PM
Sarnak

level caps are only good if your interest is to play the server for 3 weeks before it dies

best long term formula is slow exp and no level caps + incentives to keep progressing 1 character with something like pvp point vendors with decent gear on them (see devnoob/image pvp vendors but without the stupid shit they'd add after like 1 week)
Old 01-15-2022, 09:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s why it has to have level caps to slow roll the entire damn thing.

On pvp server massing level tens for raid emperor crush for first BIS dwarven ring mail tunic is going to be sweet.

And I agree with everyone. No one played EverQuest to beat it but a small percentage of people. Most people had no idea what the endgame was and had a blast figuring out what to do with zarchoomi’s head in butcherblock and other things as they came across them.

I think the only way to make these servers actually fun to start and participate in is to make it impossible to “break” the game by hitting level 50 in 4 days.

The more players clustered around the same non level 50 and non level 60 levels, the better.

Shac your rollout is okay but I’d rather have it much slower since when it hits 50 it’s game over for new sign ups i would like it like

10 for one month
20 for two months
30 for three months
40 for four months
50 for five months

Reset (or kunark)

And for the post 50 levels at least one month per level so there’s no level 60 rush either. Plenty of time for normal people to progress before the level 60 raid bickering commences.

The new dynamic of trying to complete content without being max
Level will be worth it alone.
I like it. One of the things I can't stand about these games anymore are the nerds that rush through every scrap of content and need their ego stroked by being max lvl in 3 days.

• Cap the levels.
  • Limit the amount of alts. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Let the people fight in rags for a little while.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 01-16-2022, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwall 146.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
level caps are only good if your interest is to play the server for 3 weeks before it dies

best long term formula is slow exp and no level caps + incentives to keep progressing 1 character with something like pvp point vendors with decent gear on them (see devnoob/image pvp vendors but without the stupid shit they'd add after like 1 week)
Keep in mind this is coming from someone that was in a guild that from day1 on red had people who were doing 8hour shifts on a single character to level faster than everyone else. They also had a cleric parked at the entrance of guk to kill anyone that tried to enter to level by training them with a bunch of mobs. That sort of thing.

Unless he wants to extrapolate more than this i dont see why anyone should take this seriously. I would even be careful if i was a dev not to get baited again by these types.

When red launched, on one side you had holocaust telling devs on forums everything was fine because their fun was to stomp casuals into the ground with xp loss so they quit the server as a form of entertainement. Other side had nihilum chokeholding the PVE stuff by numbers also telling devs everything was fine. Both were akin to chopping your own nuts in the end because it predictably led to a dead server.

Level cap time increments is a good mechanic to stop the no lifers from doing a repeat session of what happened to red during its first weeks. Especially if we are going full retard and doing a teams xp loss server.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 01-16-2022 at 01:33 AM..
Old 01-16-2022, 02:49 AM
Fire Giant

I think a level cap would be fantastic for teams. Varying advantages for various teams at different points of the timeline, prevents no lifers from overwhelming one side ...

But would it? There would need to be some kind of code that would prevent toons outside the level range from engaging in and kind of pvp without flagging them for it. 30~ish bard hit your target with a selos? Kill that fucker.
Red99: 60 Ranger / 60 Rogue / 60 Monk / 60 Necro / 55 Wiz / 54 Paladin / 54 Bard / 48 Druid
Old 01-16-2022, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a level cap would be fantastic for teams. Varying advantages for various teams at different points of the timeline, prevents no lifers from overwhelming one side ...

But would it? There would need to be some kind of code that would prevent toons outside the level range from engaging in and kind of pvp without flagging them for it. 30~ish bard hit your target with a selos? Kill that fucker.
EQ is just too much of an antiquated game that you can just accept any system it had and expect it to work. One thing i remember clearly from live is how i could blow my entire mana bar on a player that was high level buffed and barely dent his health. And this was against a player in the 4 level range on Rallos. Thats why i think a no level range is doomed to fail, once you get past a certain level difference you can just lul-one-shot people. On top of that, that practically illimited HP buff system.

Thats why when i played wow i found it immediately superior as a pvp game because if a level 53 gets cocky and takes on 3 lower level players he might not make it. This will never, ever happen in EQ. Thats something i also remember clearly from wow, taking down a level 53 hunter with 2 other people on my 27 priest.

I'll play that no level range teams server if it ever gets launched. Im pretty confident an FFA server is much better, a limited level (4-8 levels or something) teams pvp server second, but ill play it.

What i wont play because EQ X1 xp is such a sizeable time investment is an xp loss server. I said especially if we go full retard and go with that but i wouldnt play it. I was talking theorethically, if we go that way, level cap will help. But itll be dead in 3-5 months and ill have wasted all this time for what? For not even being able to enjoy the journey of what little pvp there is in a no xp loss server and arriving at the end game finish line to find that the population is already dead. I went with it the first time around for the ok lets eat that PVE cake with a sprinkle of pvp on top but not a second time lol.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 01-16-2022 at 07:53 AM..
Old 01-16-2022, 08:11 AM
Banned

Theres also the limited pop, you cant act like this is live EQ. The pop is fragile and has to be nurtured. Theres alot of things i remember clearly from live. Another one of them is the number of players that came up in Eastern Karana when i /who'd it during the halloween event: 205 players.

Thats not what we are working with here. That was the big mistake from the red launch, we had a 600 pop and as soon as it was clear that xp loss was gonna kill the pop (barely a week into it) it should have been taken care of. Instead it was left to rot and when it was fixed (mid-kunark or something) it was already too late, the pop had dried up to single digit at night.

You either do a little brainstorm work before launch to make sure the mechanics are good and check on it after launch, or watch feedback closely during the next weeks after launch. If youre just gonna go with an obviously bad setup, turn a switch on and forget about the server like what seemed to be what went down in 2011 why even bother. I wont.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:43 PM
Sarnak

• Cap the levels.
  • Limit the amount of alts. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Let the people fight in rags for a little while.
  • Fine tune the resist system.
  • Fix Line of Sight for spells... wtf, wall casting was totally classic.
  • Disable Legacy.
  • Disable Velious.
  • Classic world for at least 1 year.
  • Turn on Item loot once Kunark launches.

Can you even imagine? Every dungeon would feel like a raid event. Every "magic" item would seem powerful & useful.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 01-16-2022, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

I think its better to remove the advantages of the speed levelers.

1. Remove legacy items or make them always drop.
2. Punish people using high levels to train people out of zones/block content.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Secrets has also created several discord accounts and pretended to be females. Dude is a fucking weirdo.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:06 PM
Aviak

Talking

Below is the thought progression of a newbie that got farmed and ragequit/blamed everyone else for being bad.

Better luck on your next alt account dork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Guy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Total waste of time, 100 sexless methheads will rush the content and kill the box in under a month.

It is like watching people clean a gun spotless everyday for 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 4 weeks, only to shoot themselves in the dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Guy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The box was a failed experiment, proving time locked progression is the only way to run a pvp server unless you want the pop to be 20 methheads after a month.

PvP Vendors were cool tho, but instead of custom items should have been the best pve items to discourage the blue zerger's who's only motivation is to horde gear and kill the box.

Watching 40 year old dudes stay logged in for 7 days straight makes me realize how bad the mental health crisis in America really is.
Quote:
Honestly they did a great job on coding.

GM's are proactive, innovative ideas like PvP Vendor gear.

I would score it higher than Red99 which Rogean never seemed to give a single fuck about or if he did his best, it was the same result of a mentally handicapped person not giving a fuck.

They seem to care about red which is nice.

Only downside, 100 sexless methheads rushing progression to kill the server pop.

If it was time locked it would have been better than red99.
Quote:
There is about 70 grown men who haven't logged off since server launch, that's not an exaggeration they were doing Fear, Hate and Naggy on day 4.

If people are gonna sink to that lvl of loser you have to treat them like children and put in a WoW rested and exhausted effect on exp to save them from themselves.

Force them to log off by making their exp penalty so great they are just grinding a broken wheel and remove all group exp bonus when they reach a certain point.

This is meant to be a video game, not a cyber support group for the clinically insane.