Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 01-23-2023, 12:20 AM
Sarnak

Default How to time Charm for 18 seconds perfectly?

How are other bards doing this when soloing in dungeons?

What tools do you use and how do you time it perfect for charm to reland as it breaks in a dungeon?

Old 01-23-2023, 03:13 AM
Kobold

Best way to time it is play charm then 3 other songs then charm again.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:23 AM
Skeleton

I set up a gina trigger to have a 18 sec countdown, but unless I'm mistaken there is a randomness to bards charm duration, as I often had charm break before the end of said timer.
If someone has a reliable method, I'm interested as well.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I set up a gina trigger to have a 18 sec countdown
How annoying does that get?
Old 01-26-2023, 04:05 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I set up a gina trigger to have a 18 sec countdown, but unless I'm mistaken there is a randomness to bards charm duration, as I often had charm break before the end of said timer.
If someone has a reliable method, I'm interested as well.
It has a small chance of breaking early.

But most of what you are seeing is that it is a tick based duration. Each mob ticks about once every six seconds, and any time after landing charm until the mobs next tick is extra duration. So if you don't know when the mobs tick is, it looks like there is six seconds of randomness.

The tick times seem to be pretty stable, so if you figure out one tick you can calculate when it's next ticks will be. Unfortunately different mobs often tick at different times, so you'd have to figure it out for every mob you charm.

I guess you could record the tick time by hitting a macro when your charm breaks and have your parser go off that.

Like others here I mostly just cast my usual twist then partial cast charm until it breaks. I tried hide some when I was charm killing in droga; it's too bad our hide skill is so low, because that technique would be useful if hide worked more often.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya.dingus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How are other bards doing this when soloing in dungeons?

What tools do you use and how do you time it perfect for charm to reland as it breaks in a dungeon?
Try not sucking instead of posting about how bad blue is. Start playing charm when you feel its going to break...if your cast is early just cancel and start the cast again while moving away and it'll land right after it breaks.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try not sucking instead of posting about how bad blue is. Start playing charm when you feel its going to break...if your cast is early just cancel and start the cast again while moving away and it'll land right after it breaks.

Hope this helps.
Hmm I need a more precise way, but thanks for the tips.

But also nah, blue is a cesspool and this holy crusade wont end until that server is wiped cleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya.dingus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm I need a more precise way, but thanks for the tips.
A bit excessive on a bard but there's always Goblin Gazughi Ring.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:58 AM
Kobold

From experience, charm duration isn’t exact timing due to server ticks. Just practice outdoors for a bit and you’ll get an intuition/feel for the breaks.

If you have very limited space and it’s critical you don’t get hit I also recommend the cancel/recast of charm - you are then only playing with ~1 second at worst when the mob will run at you. If you don’t already have macros set up, it helps to have a /stopsong, /cast # so you can quickly cycle it and prep to land it right on time.

Once you get in the groove the mob will barely turn to face you by the time your charm lands.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From experience, charm duration isn’t exact timing due to server ticks. Just practice outdoors for a bit and you’ll get an intuition/feel for the breaks.

If you have very limited space and it’s critical you don’t get hit I also recommend the cancel/recast of charm - you are then only playing with ~1 second at worst when the mob will run at you. If you don’t already have macros set up, it helps to have a /stopsong, /cast # so you can quickly cycle it and prep to land it right on time.

Once you get in the groove the mob will barely turn to face you by the time your charm lands.
What are you breaking charm with in those situations? gaz or song or?