Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Large Bat

Default My Characters Keep Disappearing

I logged on 8/14 and all of my characters on Green were gone from the “Enter World” screen. The files still seem to exist on my PC for them (charactername_project1999.ini and UI_charactername_project1999.ini).

I've made sure I was logging into Green. My single character on Blue still exists and consistently is there and appears on the “Enter World” screen and will enter world (see more below).

Logged on 8/15 and my characters were all (4) back. Logged on later in day to play and they are all gone again.....? Petition through Forums confirms they exist on the server.

I’ve rebooted and restarted with no luck. Updated Nvidia and Windows (10). Disabled virus scanner.

I’ve launched the game with and without WinEQ. I logged in on my son's computer and all of my characters were present. I’ve searched the net pretty extensively and searched the forums for help.

I uninstalled and reinstalled P1999 in a completely different folder. I’ve removed all references in the registry. Still no luck on my PC. I have latest P1999v53 files and using the right launcher.

Most recently I got in again but I couldn’t move my character (WSAD wouldn’t work). I could jump, sit, camp, use mouse to pivot POV. The same is true with my character on Blue as far as the movement issue.

The game was working fine and now isn’t. Hard to remember what I may have installed around 8/14 when it was last working.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Skeleton

It sounds like you're logging on to the wrong server. Are you using the quick button to log on to the last-played server? I've seen that happen before. Click any other server, then click back to green and click the "play everquest" button (not the quick button that takes you to the last server).
Old 08-17-2020, 09:40 AM
Large Bat

Default Update

@dwmaze: Thanks for the response. I verified I am logging into the correct server and NOT using the quick button (i actually never use that for some reason).

I performed multiple installs verifying all files as correct version 53 P1999. I finally decided to create a new character in hopes that would force the server to repopulate the rest of my characters. That worked to an extent. I can now always see my characters, including the new one.

However, now the issue seems to be that actually launching the characters into the world is hit or miss. The loading bar fills up and then fails to continue to respond (freezes). This is particularly true of one of my characters in Dagnor's Cauldron/Unrest. Even if I do get the character to log in, zoning will almost always cause the same issue of locking up.

Going to try to get to another zone today and maybe drop all my stuff and see if that helps. Thinking that maybe I'm bugged in this zone or a piece of gear is bugged. I seems to be client side related on my machine.

Any additional help would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:26 AM
Sarnak

sounds like connection issues
Old 08-18-2020, 12:28 AM
Sarnak

use a WiFi analyzer app on your Android and change the wifi channel on your router to something other can 6 (which is the default for 2.4ghz). move about your house to find the channel with the best rating or least amount of competing wifi ssid's. possibly change to "N" based wifi or higher speed rating (b->g->n->ac->ax). after "N" you will start using 5ghz band more.
unless you have satellite or dsl, chances are you are having a local connectivity issue.
if you have internet faster than 150mbps, "N" wifi should be able to handle your network.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:05 AM
Large Bat

Default Update 2

Thanks for the comments!

I'm actually hard wired to my router and my speed is higher than 150mbps (cable).

Repeated installs don't seem to help. What has helped is to log into one of my old characters first which is "stable" meaning I can always login with that character.

Then I log into my main character which is the one that seems to be "bugged". This results in about a 60% success rate. I finally got logged on yesterday and was running out of Dagnor's Cauldron when I got killed. I successfully spawned at my bind location in Gfay. I zoned successfully multiple times and headed to Dagnor's Cauldron to collect my corpse. At this point I believed my gear to be bugged. I logged off and waited for friend to do corpse run.

When I went to log back in, same issue. Same solution, login with old character, then new one. Good news, my gear isn't bugged since I hadn't collected it yet. Bad news....it's not my gear.

I did flush my DNS, also deleted cookies and temp files sort of stuff. Going to try to change some of the router info today.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the comments!

When I went to log back in, same issue. Same solution, login with old character, then new one. Good news, my gear isn't bugged since I hadn't collected it yet. Bad news....it's not my gear.
What do you mean it isn't your gear? Are you saying that there was gear on your corpse, but you'd not ever seen it before?
Old 08-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Sarnak

the likelihood of your characters or gear being bugged is very low.
if you are having repeated issues with one or more zones, then your install in likely corrupted.
in order to fix this you will need to delete the files then do a fresh install.
installing over them will not help, if anything it will make it worse.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:28 PM
Large Bat

Thanks again for the continued responses.

When performing installs, ALL have been fresh. Note that the problem started after I've been playing a couple of months. Meaning my original install seemed stable. Although problems started after I first went to DC.

I delete Titanium through Windows Uninstall Manager. Then delete ALL remaining files in the folder. In one instance after the deletion, I actually performed the new install in a completely new folder to try to avoid any pointers I might have been missing somewhere. I've also deleted any references through Regedit.

I tried reloading the zone maps from a friend who sent me their maps.

Back to the zones I've been in mostly prior to the issue (Gfay/Crush) the login is more stable.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:51 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you mean it isn't your gear? Are you saying that there was gear on your corpse, but you'd not ever seen it before?
No sorry I was being too glib since I'm getting pretty frustrated.

I meant that since I'm still having issues while being naked running back for my corpse then it can't be my gear causing the issue.