Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 04-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Kobold

One of our saddest bugs. Sneak pulling is suppose to be a thing in classic EQ.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

^
Old 05-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Fire Giant

Bump.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Fire Giant

just adding more info to this discussion.

my finds:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...-t534-s30.html

September 27th, 2001, 7:51 pm #32

Last time i tried this, it worked perfectly, but I have only tried a few times, and have only had it work well twice, but I think there is room for improvement.

I've been yo-yoing Giants in kael for a month or so. My guild dosent have the lvls to do the arena, so we've been hunting other spots in Kael that drop armor. I have started using my sneak button and have had some odd results.

Hypothisis 1
Agroed lazy mobs are not affected by agroed unlazy mobs near them.

Hypothisis 2
Sneak affects lazy agro radius.

Im not 100% on this, but i think there is something there. Regardless, using my sneak button I have gotten some beautiful single pulls out of clumps of giants.

Im going to go to Kael tonight and do some tests on this. I will post more when i have something more concrete.

Disciple Takhim
Tallon Zek

March 4th, 2002, 5:39 pm #35

Here is a tehnique for pulling static spawns that I'm not going to claim ownership of(read it here somewhere, wish I could attribute it), but I think is damn cool.

Find a group of static spawns that always face the same direction. Tons of examples of these, Guards are probably the most common example. Run behind them while they're still at their spawn points and feign. So now you're behind them and they're facing away from you. Hit sneak and stand up behind one. Target one and Instill Doubt over and over until it sticks. ID is nonaggro until it succeeds(if it's resisted this won't work, so maybe not best for uber mobs with high resists) and when it succeeds one of them will run away from the others while the others will turn and beat on you. This other one will go to the max distance from you along it's path. Have a tagger out there and you can feign once the mob runs far enough away from the others to be out of assist range.

The other static spawns forget you almost immediately, they're still at their spawn points, the one that was feared can be tagged.

Rinse and repeat for all the static spawns

Good pushing!

Steven

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...eath-t681.html

December 16th, 2001, 10:38 pm #7

From the "What do do when you are tired of laying there" department

beside my FD button i made one titled FSnek that is simply

/loc
/sit off
/doability (sneak)

This does double duty. It gives me my normal sneak button, AND it allows me to get up from a feign and immediately start sneaking. Unless a mob just sticks there for a bit, they will all be out of 'line-of-site' when you are ready to get up, so this can and will save yer butt. The /loc part is a matter of discipline for me. I add it to everything I do, and almost always I have a reference point to find my corpse.

Today I was using Froon to practice my 2hb (28... arrrgh) with my new swoobie Adamantite Bo. here's my tactic, to make the above clear.

1) sneak and approach Froon (who i now refer to as Homer Simpson) from behind.
2) WHILE SNEAKING instill doubt. I never got a sucessful one against him, but hey, i can dream... it always seemed to fizzle on the third try and he would aggro.
3) whack away for several blows, i.e. til i got down to a couple of red bubbles.
4) back up to my original spot behind him at the edge of his aggro radius, FD, wait for him to go back.

5) press the said button above, bind my wounds, mend if it was ready, and back at him.

I also chased a Corrupted Mammoth halfway across Everfrost like this today solo. whack, whack, FD, bind, bind, chase, whack, whack...

Just my 2cp.

HaoChi Tsu
30th level Monk on Tarew-Marr

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Fire Giant

more information
----------------------------------------------------------------

MalcolmSm1th
Registered Member
MalcolmSm1th
Returning to Norrath and Sneak Pull
09-22-04, 05:24 PM
After over a year away from the game I have decided to return with my level 37 Rogue. No doubt there will be massive changes to Norrath and Luclin (and to places where I can't get to yet) and I will in time find my way about.

Now, one of the things that I had tried and never mastered (or even got working just the once!) is the Sneak-Pull.

Is there a good place for me to practise this? I have read a few Guides on this topic and I am still not sure which is the best way to face or the mobs to face? So, where would a good place be for me to go and practise?
Tags: None
Derrict
Veteran
Derrict
09-23-04, 04:12 AM
re: Returning to Norrath and Sneak Pull

You need to find mobs that don't social assist but have large aggro radius (or very small social assist range). Most mobs social assist so using sneak pulling won't have any effect.

Animals generally don't social assist other mob types (ie undead, humanoid, dragon) but you won't find many animal-type mobs at upper levels.
Derrict Thealcholic - Retired Spring '04

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Years out of era. Information doesn't apply to the timeline p1999 adheres to.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

I breezed through the earlier postings and didn't see this one... While not completely relevant from the back, seems to describe sneak being used to prevent assisting, even when used in the front. Lays out some specific rooms, I know the Tae room has some bad add potential in era (lots of wonky agro / train potential), and the posters on this site routinely leveled in CT and other such noob places (i.e. I believe puller was level appropriate, not a level 60 going at it). I'm not familiar with how the Burynai Mines are setup though to understand if single pulling would have been easy enough without sneak.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5865
12/11/2000:
Quote:
Now I've given you all the information necessary for the single pull. Let me describe the rogue implementation of this, the sneak pull.

This works best with a SoW, but I've had it work without. First, sneak up to bow range to the monster. Hide is not necessary. Because sneak reduces aggro range, even from the front, you should still not have aggroed anything. Shoot an arrow at the one you want, and immediately back off. The one you shot will come running, and if you can get far enough away before it comes and hits you and removes sneak, its friends will not. The bow works better than throwing because it lets you stay further back, but I've heard you can get this to work with throwing as well.

I have successfully used the sneak pull in Cazic-Thule at the lower Tae room and at the Burynai Mines in Frontier Mountains. I'm sure it would work in other places as well; I just never had the need.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Planar Protector

bump
Old 09-06-2018, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

bump for giggles.

faction was irrelevant in classic in regards to sneak agro.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...neak-t507.html

Interesting stuff in here far too long to quote. OP does mention that it does not work on social mobs but later in the thread when the change to throwing weapons no longer breaking sneak she walks back that opinion. Like I've been saying all along the game was constantly evolving and updating.

If we look at this safehouse guide again it mentions social not working yet he had gotten it to work on most mobs that should social. I believe that sneak pulling would not work on mobs that were leashed together such as Lucan and Jentry. They simply either didn't known of leashed mobs or were using incorrect terminology.

https://thesafehouse.org/forums/foru...-sneak-pulling