Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first 4 hours of EQ are the best! Trying to find that rusty 2 handed sword for those 1 hit kills; scrabbling together a full set of cloth armor; getting started tailoring your own set of armour, working towards that first pet for mages. Finding your first friends to go wreck some gnolls, goblins or orcs!

After that, the content you do struggles to actually provided upgrades you can use, and instead many find the game starts to drag, becoming an xp farm so you can plat farm to buy the pixels you couldn't earn yourself.
There is no experience like the first character you made here. As a Druid I remember looting every corpse I killed and looting other corpses that were abandoned just so I could afford all my lvl 5 spells even though I was still using the starter club and wearing a cloth shirt LOL.

But then I noticed something. By the time I was 60 and decided to play a Cleric my bank account for the Druid had 10K PP (which is nothing on this server). But even with that modest amount I was able to buy cheap wis gear for the cleric, a decent weapon and all his spells were in bags waiting for him to hit each new spell level.

It wasn't the same. I don't think my Cleric even bothered to loot a corpse till he was in his 40's when the mobs were finally dropping PP coin and items.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Last edited by kaluppo; 01-16-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So most of us are here because we used to play on live years ago. The game is amazing but part of the allure is nostalgia.

I am wondering if anyone has had success convincing friends or family to play who have not played EQ before. I have several MMO fans in my life, but they are apprehensive to try such an old game. I am fairly confident that if they actually gave the game a try they would be into it. But that initial few hours of play is where I struggle to get them excited.

Any tips or tricks? great videos? huge selling points I am missing?

Thanks in advance!
The biggest selling point is you. You can look up youtube videos on waking the sleeper or some guild killing a big raid mob to try to get them excited about an ultimate end game. But at the end of the day you have to convince them that playing this game along side you will be fun and exciting.

Problem is those first 6-7 levels can be a boring XP grind as people don't normally start grouping till after that. What might be a good start is look for a newbie quest that the two of you can do. Walk them through the quest and let them receive the item or XP that is rewarded. Then take them out and XP grind with them. Tell them after a few levels you can do a better quest with a better reward. Gives them something to look forward to.

You can also take them to see something cool like the wood elf city in the trees or go fishing in a lake to show them the game has other things besides just killing mobs. Buy them an ale or stout at the bar in east freeport.

Get creative.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Last edited by kaluppo; 01-16-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Banned

I'm a high school AP Literature and Psych teacher. I've considered starting up an extra-curricular MMORPG club next year as an anti-club, as my school is nationally ranked in just about every competitive academic club out there.

My goal, of course, is to establish a love for communal gaming, as so many of the online games my students play are, well, you know, the reason why I play p99 exclusively...

I'd love to have all of my students in the same guild, doing ridiculous 14-person newbie raids on Crushbone, the Warrens, etc. and twitching the experience the whole time - or whatever that 'live streaming gamer cam' thing is. I doubt any of my students would have the wherewithal to actually commit to 60, but it'd be super fun to have a two-group raid of toons in the 30s to go hit some of the goofy content. Holding down Royals in Sol B, or breaking into BR in LGuk, would probably be harder for them than anything they're currently doing in gaming... haha.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

Get to level 2, take them on a journey to kaladim to turn in cb belts to level 4. Get them a sword of skyfire or something. Hit crushbone a bit, have them help you find a port to WC but tell them to be careful. Say you guys need to stop at EC to buy something real quick. Take boat back to kaladim.

Just dungeon master that shit.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Kobold

Why would you do something as depraved as addicting family and friends to classic everquest? what kind of monster are you?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get to level 2, take them on a journey to kaladim to turn in cb belts to level 4. Get them a sword of skyfire or something. Hit crushbone a bit, have them help you find a port to WC but tell them to be careful. Say you guys need to stop at EC to buy something real quick. Take boat back to kaladim.

Just dungeon master that shit.
I've found that you need to schedule time with friends and family and they will play. Don't expect then to do it all alone. This is a social game, soloing is a lonely boring life. Also severely restrict handouts. The game doesn't start are 60. It's the journey and upgrades they get along the way with the RL groupthat will keep then coming back.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 AM
Planar Protector

To incentivize them, provide a list of non-op items and let each person choose one. Nothing that will trivialize the early content, just enough to differentiate themselves with style and have a fighting chance should they venture out on their own later. (Ex.: Robe of the Oracle, Ebony Bladed Sword, Brown Chitin Protector, Skull of Jhen'tra, Fighting Baton.)

Arrange schedules so everyone plays together once or twice a week.

Agree on a location and commit to it, accommodating those who want to play a specific race. Kunark or the Qeynos/Erudin side of Norrath would be ideal imo, as there will be more than enough mobs/camps to choose from regardless of your play time.

Assign a specific target for the group to kill, like a named. Once that target is killed, the group receives a new list of slight upgrades to choose from. Upon reaching a certain level, they get that item.

Something to that effect. Get creative with it though. Act as a quest-giver and send them out into the world.

From there they should have a handle on how the game works and can take the training wheels off by creating alts and testing out new zones on their own time.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:50 AM
Large Rat

either way... it's hard to get people to try the game when the login servers keeps messing up.! kk thx bye
Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 AM
Aviak

The only way to get someone into EQ who's never played it before is to twink them out from level 1. If they're starting the game fresh with no gear, they won't get attached to it. Level 1-20 sucks ass when you're naked.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the struggle...but that is 100% nostalgia. A modern gamer who's used to hand-holding MMO's won't enjoy it.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Orc

I find my general crew of gamer-pals just can't get past the box graphics. Even the DnD circle won't give it a shot.

Best way to get them into the game? Honestly? Threaten the life of their orphan puppy or closest relative. Infect their computer with viruses. Make an auto running BATCH file that deletes all their other games, leaving Project 1999 as the only remaining game available.

Even then most people will just switch to their console to be spoon fed huge firework explosions of "ZOMGGG" after a level with a new 'roller coaster' of quests to turn all that level 7 green gear into level 9 green gear, with that juicy additional +2 <primary stat> that flexes depending on which spec you're playing.

As noted in many posts above: if you didn't play before and don't have the nostalgia, you probably aren't playin' now. And if you're into this sort of game and didn't play before, you're probably already around or you're playing something similar so you don't need to convince them.
Closed Thread