Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 07-12-2023, 03:12 PM
Banned

Well electricians *do* make good money, certainly a "living wage", but a youtube channel about being an electrician with 500k subs makes more.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The conversion of valuable trades into youtube channels *about* those trades is legit concerning to me.

Like, eventually you won't be able to hire an electrician because they're all busy filming their next video about being an electrician, cause they make more money that way.
If there was really Ferengi, almost all of them would be insufferable streamers.

The same force creates opportunities for other people later. Think of how many bad electricians there were out there before youtube took a bite out of everyone's IQ
Old 07-12-2023, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

if you hired a bad electrician, thats your own fault for failing to do research on who you will trust your home investment with.

you want a job done right? you gotta hire a company that doesn't need your business, will charge more than the next 3 companies, and get the job done in half the time of any other company.

if any contractor has example: two crews, each working 2 other jobs, and he wants to take your down payment to start your job (you are third) this means he is a fly-by-night irresponsible and lazy piece of shit who requires your money in order to finish the other 2 jobs.

it's a ponzi scheme, and its extremely common in the remodeling industry.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:54 PM
Banned

But you said a real man fixes everything in his house, Trexller

Why you hiring electricians?
Old 07-12-2023, 10:16 PM
Fire Giant

Home inspections are a bitch
Old 07-12-2023, 10:47 PM
Banned

I just had to take out a home equity loan for the minimum ($45k) at a shit interest rate to cover $23k of home repairs. I luckily got a good deal on the repairs from a contractor who is friend of the family, which included:

- New roof
- Entire outside house repainted, all trim boards replaced
- New wall and door put in garage
- new insulation in attic
- gravel in front and back yards

If you can do any of this stuff yourself, could save some serious money. I don’t trust the kind of job I would do though. I have to make $350/mo payments for the next 20 years, but I now have one of the nicest looking houses on the block. Not bad for it being 30+ yrs old

The first bill (of multiple):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2312.jpg (12.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2023, 12:06 PM
Banned

The roofing job is fairly easy, with the biggest challenge being doing it by yourself. You just tear off the old shingling with a flat head shovel going up the incline till you get the apex, check for rotting plies and replace as necessary, then start at the cotton and stagger the shingles on each layer above it. It just takes a long time for one person (and the tear down is exhausting), so the contractor beats the clock by having a small team; typically with a drunk hack filling the role of the tear-down guy
Old 07-13-2023, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But you said a real man fixes everything in his house, Trexller

Why you hiring electricians?
I don't.

That was advice for lesser men.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:52 PM
Banned

WHO’S BEEN CALLING IT?

WHO’S BEEN RIGHT?

Ya’ll have NO IDEA how many requests my agency gets from parents regarding their kid not wanting to go to school. Kids have figured out that the schools don’t give two shits and push all of it back on the parent. If the parent can’t physically and safely force their kid in the car, the kid has just temporarily outsmarted the entire system

We get so many requests like this during the school year it’s a guarantee to get multiple ones every. Single. Morning. And I’m not talking about repeats

“Quiet quitting” ain’t just happening with adults and it’s not quiet either. Some of these kids will raise hell to not go

And you can’t hospitalize a kid for not wanting to go to school. And if the kid doesn’t want to participate in behavioral health services like counseling either, guess what? Clinics won’t even bother to waste time signing them up

Just refuse everything until your parents can legally kick you out at 18 and be fucked. That’s too many naive kid’s plans these days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2321.jpg (17.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2023, 10:55 PM
Banned

^
I remember a 12ish yr old girl who had lost all privileges due to complete refusal to go to school. She had nothing but a bed in her room, no tv, no phone, no nothing. What did she do? Stared at the wall for 8 straight hours every day

I didn’t even think a kid had the mental capability to do that