Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are unwell and very unhappy.
Doesn't make me wrong
Old 08-01-2023, 11:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those statutes should be torn down. Federal control of policing is not authorized.
That's a slippery slope. States don't have any business in the right to bear arms.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:25 AM
Fire Giant

Honestly, I don't really see anything wrong with someone being qualified and choosing to protect their communities. The shame is that our own citizenry is not filling the demand.

After all, we let unqualified politicians run the government.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblewitz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's a slippery slope. States don't have any business in the right to bear arms.
Other due process rights have gone by the wayside recently. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblewitz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, I don't really see anything wrong with someone being qualified and choosing to protect their communities. The shame is that our own citizenry is not filling the demand.

The order is to make federal work authorization status indiscriminable.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Is it surprising that no one wants to be a cop? It seems like a really challenging job. Similar to a prison guard. Entrenched in the dregs of society.

For a while I've thought Police and Fire should rotate, four years as a cop, four years as a firemen.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:47 AM
Banned

Why? What would rotating firefighters and cops solve?
Old 08-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why? What would rotating firefighters and cops solve?
I believe the issue you have with cops is the work environment is just not something 99% of people can do for thirty years and not become jaded. Rotating between police and fire would give these public servants a break from only being involved in drugs and crime for an entire career. I believe this brief reprieve would pay dividends. Fire would benefit from a wider breadth of training that could be of use on the fire department.

My idea hinges on the idea that almost no one is equipped to be a police officer for an entire career. I'm speaking about mostly urban environments, sure you can be a cop in a suburb where very few major issues occur. Cops should also have to live where they police.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:34 PM
Banned

I've read the "cops should live within their jurisdiction" thing in leftist circles. I wonder how your hypothetical program would pan out in rural counties, though.

I googled stats and about 600k of the one millionish firefighters nationwide in the USA are volunteers. I also wonder how many of them are hypothetically interested in cross-training as cops.

I assume you'd be ruling out prisoners volunteering as firefighters, too.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cops should also have to live where they police.
Sounds nice and lovely, but good luck with that

Most professions in life don’t have the possibility of:

You being randomly ambushed and killed with almost no way to see it coming or prevent it

You being verbally abused constantly by the people you serve, every insult imaginable thrown your way

You being randomly assaulted trying to do your job. Just saw a police body cam video of a cooperative drunk woman being arrested for DUI suddenly becoming uncooperative without warning and kneeing the male cop in the balls as hard as she could. How about for other professions, I get to show up at your work, and knee you in the balls as hard as I can, and you can go ahead and finish out your day after that. Oh and not quit either, maybe I’ll do it again tomorrow, and the next day

Having to walk a tight rope constantly to avoid getting in legal trouble doing your job

Having half the county hate you and call you a racist until they need your help, then you can’t come fast enough for them

This means cops can’t keep staffed, which means you get two options:

1. Less cops and long long response times or no response. Crimss like petty theft not investigated ever. Your home break in or car theft will never be solved or even looked at

2. Having to recruit from outside areas
Closed Thread