Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone meleeing mobs should time how long it takes them to kill a monster and med/regen up to full again, versus root-dotting the same monster (time it from the moment you engage to the moment you're back up to your starting hp/mana with the monster dead). Unless you have great melee gear, the second one will be faster. Slowing and healing up from the HP you lose tanking is just generally not worth whatever piddly DPS you can bonk the monster for unless you have a great weapon and solid AC.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone meleeing mobs should time how long it takes them to kill a monster and med/regen up to full again, versus root-dotting the same monster (time it from the moment you engage to the moment you're back up to your starting hp/mana with the monster dead). Unless you have great melee gear, the second one will be faster. Slowing and healing up from the HP you lose tanking is just generally not worth whatever piddly DPS you can bonk the monster for unless you have a great weapon and solid AC.
Yeah I will give this a shot, my guess is the root rot will be faster. Thats what I did with the.db mammoth and it went down quick. Was about 25% of its hp per dot and at 20% it ran and i meleed it down - which took forever!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Sarnak

You should not be meleeing at all. Root, dot, run away, med. Root breaks... repeat. You should never run out of mana no matter what your gear is. If you melee you are wasting med time and hp.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Sarnak

Making my way through the tunnels to actually get into the WW giant area. Pretty nerve wracking! I havent been here before but root/rotting is working really well! Just solo'd 2 dark blues that agrod me and feeling pretty good! I dunno if I could have done it as well without clarity but i'll get the hang of it i'm sure.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Sarnak

I'm at the giant fort? But they seem to be a bit too high level for me.. Is there another area I should be at 25?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos057 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should not be meleeing at all. Root, dot, run away, med. Root breaks... repeat. You should never run out of mana no matter what your gear is. If you melee you are wasting med time and hp.
I disagree, mostly because I don't hold in with this "you must only play one way attitude" but also, if you have a decent weapon, there is nothing wrong with smacking things in the face.

I just tried root/rotting some Evergreens. Taking into consideration that it takes 3 applications of my best DoT to get it to run, resists and root breaking early it didn't feel any better than me casting Quickness and whacking things. It works better on the Greenwoods of course but they are mostly light blue.

My advice is to find a way that suits you best depending on the situation you are in. For me at the moment tanking with slow + Quickness feels better (although I expect this to change as I get higher).
Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berendar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree, mostly because I don't hold in with this "you must only play one way attitude" but also, if you have a decent weapon, there is nothing wrong with smacking things in the face.

I just tried root/rotting some Evergreens. Taking into consideration that it takes 3 applications of my best DoT to get it to run, resists and root breaking early it didn't feel any better than me casting Quickness and whacking things. It works better on the Greenwoods of course but they are mostly light blue.

My advice is to find a way that suits you best depending on the situation you are in. For me at the moment tanking with slow + Quickness feels better (although I expect this to change as I get higher).
Yeah I've heard that at 34 your dots are a lot more efficient. I was noticing last night that my dot only does 3% per tick to the higher level giants... I was grouped at the time but that would take like 4-5 applications of my dot to kill one.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I've heard that at 34 your dots are a lot more efficient. I was noticing last night that my dot only does 3% per tick to the higher level giants... I was grouped at the time but that would take like 4-5 applications of my dot to kill one.
DoT, singular? Are you not stacking poison and disease?
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The disease DoT available to him does 6 damage a tick for 2 minutes. I haven't bothered with it. Takes far too much time.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Well honestly I didn't know about stacking poison and disease! This is exciting! Haha. I am a shaman noob through and through so tips like this are awesome! True, it does only hit for 6 damage, but the giants are always left with 5-10% hp for me and I have to waste a nuke on them. One application of the disease dot should take care of that.

Also, should I be using the disease debuff spell? Does it make the dots tick Longer or anything? the description on wiki doesnt make any sense to me
Closed Thread