Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Hi I'm new here. (also to eq at all)

very excited to give this a shot, is there any class that's particularly good for a nub to start with?

looking forward to playing soon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Shaun.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Kobold

If you want to avoid classes that are somewhat gear dependent and beyond your means, avoid tank classes and, to some extent, melee classes. My first was a monk. The lacking of funds for high-end gear frustrated me at times, but it wasn't too much of a hindrance. This would probably be the same for rogues and rangers. You can get by with minimal gear, but they really shine if you can dump some money into them.

I would also avoid shaman as a first toon because their level 50+ spells can be extremely expensive.

That would leave druid, cleric, intelligence casters (enchanter, magician, necromancer and wizard) and bard.

Now you also have to consider ease of play, play style and whether you plan to use the character 50+ and for raiding.

In terms of ease to play, you can't go wrong with druid, cleric, magician, wizard and necromancer. Bard and enchanters definitely require the most learning.

In terms of play style, all of the intelligence casters can solo to some extent while druids and bards can easily solo. Clerics are definitely group dependent for the most part.

In terms of 50+ and raiding, enchanters and bards are in massive demand because of their buffs and crowd control. This is also the case for clerics since they are the best healers. Then there is a gradual decline in demand for the others with druids probably at the bottom. My 55+ groups almost never take druids and are often hesitant to take necros, wizards and mages (although, personally, I think they are fine in groups).

TLDR: can't go wrong with a cleric (best heals, easy to play) or bard or enchanter. These are always in high demand even if there are a lot on the server. However, if there is a specific class that has peaked your interest, just go with that one!
Tooround Tofit - 60 Ogre Warrior
Flyhalf - 58 Halfling Cleric
Eamonn - 55 Half Elf Bard
Blood Guard
Old 05-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Fire Giant

I would say " no " to your question.
Read the class descriptions, pick one that sounds fun or interesting and then explore the world and learn the game and see the places and talk to the people - this is, I believe, the only way to get a real feel for the game, and at that point I think you might begin to understand which class you like the most, if you end up having a preference at all.

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 PM
Sarnak

I recommend mage or cleric for a new and untwinked player. Both are easy classes that don't require a lot of gear. They're both powerful and better in a group. For the true EQ experience you have to group and meet players along the way to 60.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would say " no " to your question.
Read the class descriptions, pick one that sounds fun or interesting and then explore the world and learn the game and see the places and talk to the people - this is, I believe, the only way to get a real feel for the game, and at that point I think you might begin to understand which class you like the most, if you end up having a preference at all.
I just want to expand on this in agreement. If you are truly indecisive, maybe go with what I suggested. However, if there is a class you seem to be drawn towards, go with it. Don't make, for example, a cleric just because me or someone else said it was a good choice. You don't want to invest the time to level only to realise you hate the class.
Tooround Tofit - 60 Ogre Warrior
Flyhalf - 58 Halfling Cleric
Eamonn - 55 Half Elf Bard
Blood Guard
Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumtick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to avoid classes that are somewhat gear dependent and beyond your means, avoid tank classes and, to some extent, melee classes.
I agree with this.

Bards, enchanters, and wizards are typically hard for first time players, so you may also want to avoid those.

Some people find clerics boring, but you will come across groups much more easily than other classes.

Druids are the jack of all trades (and master of none) and typically are pretty easy for beginners to pick up, but will have a harder time find groups 50+.

Shaman are great at high end due to their slows and Torpor, and are also one of the best solo classes around. They are also sought after in groups.

Mages and necros can solo easier than druids, but aren't as good as shaman, and also have hard times finding groups at higher levels.

tl;dr: go ogre shaman. ogre's are immune to frontal stuns which will prevent interrupts while casting, and they also have regen, which is great when coupled with the canni line of spells.
Last edited by Torik; 05-29-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Old 05-29-2018, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

Check out the class list on the wiki to get a decent description of each class and what they do. If you want a little deeper dive on each class' effectiveness and roles check out Loraen's class selection guide on the wiki.

PM me here or send a tell in game to Argh if you need some starting gear/plat.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 PM
Fire Giant

Iksar warrior

Prove everyone your more manly than them
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 PM
Fire Giant

Everyone will say what class is so hard and what class is so easy, but at the end of the day thousands of people picked this game off the shelf and made what looked cool to then because there were titties on the box
Old 05-30-2018, 01:14 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bards, enchanters, and wizards are typically hard for first time players, so you may also want to avoid those.
[/B]
Why am i doing a Wizi again after playing one up on live many years ago. I must be a masochist. I remember what a pain in the ass it was sometimes, specially on PvP where people had resist gear and teared me apart.

But thats what other posters said: choose a class what fits most to your kind of playstyle. Thats why i am a Wizi again (and i was thinking a lot to take something else) i is just my kind of playing the game.
If you like the class, you will enjoy the game.

If your ingame, feel free to send me a tell. Maybe we find some more lowlevels to group.

Asmodina, 8th grade Wizard
Closed Thread