Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Fire Giant

Default Dsetup.dll - could not find this item

Hey guys, my computer recently had a strain of bad luck and is out of commission. I decided to try installing EQ on my daughters laptop in the meantime but I'm having issues.

Mostly, it's a Dsetup.dll issue - I've had problems with my avast quarantining it before and having to go in and make an exception, but this time, as soon as I download the patch files and extract them, then try dragging them to my EQ folder it disappears, and then says "item not found - This is no longer located in C:\Users\Matthew\Downloads\P99Files36. Verify the items location and try again."

I tried disabling Avast completely and it's still happening so I have no clue what's causing my issue. Anyone familiar with what is happening? I've been away for about 4 months without Internet access and now that I'm home im dying to play, but can't get this sorted out.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:30 AM
Planar Protector

your antivirus still aggressively eating the file. it might only be flagged to exist in a certain location, but deleting it everywhere else. also probably still some real time scanning going on. certain features of the antivirus are probably disabled but not all
Old 06-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Try extracting the files right to your EQ folder.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

If the antivirus eats it, create an exception.. then re-extract the patch files.

That should do it.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the antivirus eats it, create an exception.. then re-extract the patch files.

That should do it.
He already said he made a exception but he probably only made it for the EQ folder so once it finds it unzipped in another folder it eats it.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I had same issue with my brothers pc with having DSETUP.DLL file be eaten by antivirus software. He had Mcafee antivirus software which I found was the culprit. Where he is running win8, I had him uninstall Mcafee due to win8 having Windows Defender.
After uninstalling Mcafee, we were able to successfully copy the DSETUP.DLL.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4RKC4RN1E [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had same issue with my brothers pc with having DSETUP.DLL file be eaten by antivirus software. He had Mcafee antivirus software which I found was the culprit. Where he is running win8, I had him uninstall Mcafee due to win8 having Windows Defender.
After uninstalling Mcafee, we were able to successfully copy the DSETUP.DLL.
windows defender really does nothing. At least have him put avast or AVG on it.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Ya we got AVG on his PC now. We just had to get rid of mcafee. Anyways good luck with your DSETUP.DLL problem
Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
windows defender really does nothing. At least have him put avast or AVG on it.
I use Windows Defender and never get viruses. Probably because I don't click on stupid shit though. In Windows 8, Defender is the same thing as Windows Security Essentials, its built into it now. Avast and AVG are good though, McAfee and Norton are awful unless you enjoy half of your ram being used for them to run.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Banned

Just run malware bytes once a month and call it a freakin day. Don't need active anti-virus unless you have downs.