Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

@Izmael

I didn't have an in-depth grasp of gaming mechanics or how to manipulate them back then like I learned from playing on P99.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

"there is some way to recharge items with merchants some guy told me but I didn't understand" - my friend at the cafeteria

"when you get to 50 there is a quest to turn into a dark elf" - my guild mates

"after I finished the quest some guy asked me what webpage I learned it from, can you believe that? you can just look up quests online..." -my cafateria friend again with a sad face

this was all about when kunark launched lol
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-07-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*shrug*, being "good" at EQ / P99 is simply a matter of time you spend playing. There are no problems to solve in this game and no skill really involved (unless you factor in PvP).

The less time you spend IRL with your friends, family, or studying / working / traveling, the better you can be at EQ.

Don't know if there ever was any humble pie to be had.
This stigma about admitting that a video game requires skill to be good at is silly. The ability to perform given actions within a video game is patently a skill:

skill
/skil/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the ability to do something well; expertise.

You even spell out how to improve at eq, which is the same way you improve at literally anything, but claim eq takes no skill.

Why are some long time players awful if all it takes is time investment? Why are some new players very effective if they haven't put the time in? Your claim is clearly false.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-07-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

p99: everquest is easy
*reads and watches videos on how to do everything and still has multiple near heart attacks and loses job raiding a 20 year old game*
Old 07-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This stigma about admitting that a video game requires skill to be good at is silly. The ability to perform given actions within a video game is patently a skill:

skill
/skil/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the ability to do something well; expertise.

You even spell out how to improve at eq, which is the same way you improve at literally anything, but claim eq takes no skill.

Why are some long time players awful if all it takes is time investment? Why are some new players very effective if they haven't put the time in? Your claim is clearly false.

I don't know what you mean by being good or bad at EQ. How do you decide if someone is good? By the gear they have? Getting great gear is simply a matter of joining one of the top guilds and attending as many raids as possible, while performing some very basic tasks such as pressing autoattack, complete healing, or maybe a couple buff buttons for 97% of the people.

Chess takes skill. Boxing takes skill. Painting takes skill. EQ takes knowledge of the basic mechanics and inordinate amounts of time invested.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Sarnak

On P99, all BiS for Classic/Kunark was surely obtainable... but like many have said for Velious it's highly unlikely due to the amount of items on Vulak's loot table.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Fire Giant

Near/the beginning of Luclin was probably the most likely to have as close to 'Total BiS' as possible due to the number of bottlenecks and blocking that took place. Also, Ssra temple wasn't itemized for a few weeks/couple months, so depending on your server's top-end scene, it was very easy to hog NToV and other desirable targets, then do VT at their leisure.

Total BiS? Probably not, like everyone keeps saying Vulak has too much loot and the timeline wouldn't allow for it. If you ignore Vulak, then yes, many people out there had ridiculous gear compared to the average 60 on a server. Nothing like on here, though.
Last edited by Crawdad; 07-07-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know what you mean by being good or bad at EQ. How do you decide if someone is good?
People who got their characters from Ebay were typically bad, didn't know how to play their class, didn't know about their spells, where to be, what to do or how to do it. I suppose that could be filed under your comment about knowing game mechanics.

We also have 20 years of gaming knowledge and games being even more mainstream than back then. Top entertainment currently iirc. Social media and things like youtube to making understanding things easier beforehand rather than jumping in and being a total idiot.

Which computer games (if any) require skill?

If EQ is the McDonalds of computer gaming then which games are to be considered equal to a Law degree or something like that?

<---- played with arrow keys and would use mouse hand to spacebar jump.

Eq may very well be a game that requires no skill, it would be different if applied knowledge of the Katana were required or some form of Ninjitsu.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by being good or bad at EQ. How do you decide if someone is good? By the gear they have? Getting great gear is simply a matter of joining one of the top guilds and attending as many raids as possible, while performing some very basic tasks such as pressing autoattack, complete healing, or maybe a couple buff buttons for 97% of the people.

Chess takes skill. Boxing takes skill. Painting takes skill. EQ takes knowledge of the basic mechanics and inordinate amounts of time invested.
Your own reasoning works again you, you just don't see it. Being good at chess takes skill. Owning a chess trophy does not. Winning boxing matches against skilled opponents takes skill. Owning a belt does not. Painting a masterpiece takes skill. Owning a masterpiece does not.

Playing EQ well takes skill. Owning gear does not.

And, of course, how much skill you demonstrate can vary. Nobody claims throwing out a few raid buffs or autoattacking while facing the right direction is especially skillful. But you're disingenuous or an idiot if you don't see there's skill to many eq activities.

Being a puller who balances his rate to provide fun and exp and loot chances for his group without overwhelming them or boring them. Extra credit if you can do that without stepping on the toes of the people next door or losing nameds to a lame solo chanter sniper.

Breaking fear solo as a druid. Soloing protector as a shaman. Crawling through named velks dogs as a chanter. Generally tackling content with small numbers. Leveling with a few pals in the bottom of najena or dalnir instead of in Oasis or FM. Being a good bard. Etc.

You also ignore that there is a "puzzle solving" going on in the game still. Just because someone else has figured something out doesn't mean everyone instantly has. Over time, p99 has slowly and steadily been tweaked. Someone using a 50 necro to charm in vanilla had it all figured out, but that isnt how it works anymore. People didn't change their methods because "it's all been solved, there's nothing new, we all know everything" or whatever. Etc.

I am anxiously awaiting more non sequiturs and straw men from you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-07-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Being good at EQ is like being good at driving. You can be good at it, but then you can also suck at it at the same time.

Not cutting people off left and right driving recklessly, but totally getting in everyone's way who is driving slightly above the speed limit.

Its only fairly obvious who is clearly bad at it and usually people agree, but usually that person is like rU KiDdInG Im ThE bEsT!

Also there is more than enough information online to give you all the direction you'd need to be great at it and even still you could totally end up dead trying any of it.

And the confidence of the best race car drivers of all time is only equal to the confidence of the best raid leaders

It's like 1:1 with driving.
Closed Thread