Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default The Art of Bardage

First started as a ranger but found bard to be more enjoyable. I'm level 23 now with basically banded, I hear bards don't really need gear but I would like to get some pieces with stats here and there as I am able to afford them (for my own personal satisfaction).

Should I prioritize armor over weapons? I currently am using a Crystalline Spider Fang in mainhand and fine steel for offhand.. I've got about 700pp from doing rabid animal quests, bandits and willowisps in the Karanas. I have read a bunch of opinions but I prefer a forum dialogue to discuss... if anyone can spare a moment for suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

- Freebass the Bard
Old 02-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Planar Protector

Bards use tank stats mostly. Look for lots of AC, HP, Resists [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] easy. Its been determined that charisma and dex arent worth a sacrifice of equal tank stats.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

With 700 id get a magic weapon to replace the fine steel and buy HP rings/earrings. Id look into getting at least a mm drum and gypsy lute too.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 02-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Banned

Unless you have an epic you probably shouldn’t be using weapons, as a bard amplifying your songs with instrument mods will benefit your group more. Solo you can swarm or charm kite or drum dot without ever getting hit. I’d say save up for a walrus skin drum
Old 02-02-2019, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

HP/AC rings then instruments (if you at least have store bought).

You can get plat fire wedding rings x2 cfor 400-500 p and MM isntruments for like another 100p. Last bit of money can get you like a sionache's partisan or something.

While yes instrument use probably benefits group more, its boring as fuck and you'll want to melee some, and especially to keep skills up (defense is important too).
Old 02-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Fire Giant

Don't even buy the instruments - you're nearly Mistmoore CE-group level just XP there and you'll easily and quickly get the MM Drums and Lute (and the NODROP Gypsy Lute is actaully a bit better - same modifier and has +5MR on it). It's also much more rewarding to earn the items while XPing than it is to buy them!

Get some 4ac/45hp rings (don't spend the premium for the 6/65 rings right now). Get yourself some CHA jewlery (CHA necklace / DEX/CHA rings) and get yourself a pair of +7MR Bracers. All that stuff is relatively cheap.

You can pickup bronze platemail armor in either Unrest or Mistmoore as well! Look to get yourself an Unrest FP group and get a Bloodstained Mantle - another easy to acquire item!

Once your level 30+ look to group at "Mistmoore CE" camp and "Unrest ghost" camp to get your MM instruments and some jagged bands and/or Dwarven Workboots respectively!
Last edited by Vizax_Xaziv; 02-02-2019 at 08:22 PM..
Old 02-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Sarnak

I read this title as the art of bondage at first
Old 02-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlpstrtkng [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I read this title as the art of bondage at first
Would have been a better title tbh.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I actually already had hp/ac rings that a nice fella hooked me up with (also gave me the Crystalline Spider Fang) so I think I'll focus on getting the instruments and maybe just replace the cloth pieces I'm still wearing with some higher ac stuff so I don't get ass blasted.

Looking forward to seeing you all out in the world.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinCITY [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would have been a better title tbh.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I actually already had hp/ac rings that a nice fella hooked me up with (also gave me the Crystalline Spider Fang) so I think I'll focus on getting the instruments and maybe just replace the cloth pieces I'm still wearing with some higher ac stuff so I don't get ass blasted.

Looking forward to seeing you all out in the world.
Treat your bard like you would a rogue. Aim not to get hit or draw aggro. If you're the tank, do something about it so that there's an actual tank in the group. It will benefit the cleric and group efficiency hugely, particularly if there's no enchanter clarity about <3

Survivability is still important but I've encountered some bards who want to be the tank in the group, and as a former cleric... it's just not a good idea vs a warrior/pal/SK, even with very good items.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Good advice, Swish! I am not going to even try to tank... I much prefer a support role. I'm looking forward to pulling a bit and learning zone layouts, providing CC and general support.

I didn't get to experience much back in the day, I played a druid based on a recommendation from a friend, but later realized he just wanted free ports later on... and I didn't much enjoy the class. Bard seems great so far, quite a few tricks up their sleeve and seems they can accomplish much on their own if no groups are available.
Closed Thread