Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnoway Jose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
permissions and anti virus
windows 7 and windows 10 neither allow permissions
Windows 10 does. I just did it like an hour ago. I'll walk you through it:

1.) Click on start button, start typing "virus" and click on Virus & threat protection
2.) Under the "Current Threats" heading, you'll see a link that says "protection history." Click it.
3.) One of the recent threats blocked should be the "dsetup.dll" file. Find it and click restore.
4.) You'll get a new message in the protection history that says "Threat Removed or Restored." Click on that, find the drop down, and click "allow."

All set.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Orc

I get the virus threat also. Why is this program not probing the accounts on the server. Instead you want to look at my pc. A little to much for me. There are ways to detect cheating on the server it self, and not peoples pc. I don;t want you probing my pc info. Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock is what I get in file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\dsetup.dll. With this This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Won't play until this is gone, and put on the server. NOT MY PC
Last edited by Flowe; 09-10-2019 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Add more
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why don't you pay for someone to make you one. Or help you with your free experience. How did you even get on the server in the first place if you had so much trouble extracting files?
Gnoway Jose, extracting files are a very basic task to managing your computer. The biggest problem i have when first learning to extract files were that it often creates a folder for those files but, if this was the case for you EQ wont be able to read the files so all you have to do is open that folder and copy and paste (or move them) to the EQ folder then delete that useless folder.

Ive been playing for idk getting close to 7 months maybe and had to patch just once, however a few days after this recent patch windows security did start flagging a file as a virus but it was an easy fix on windows 10 to just allow the file and restore it, though i still posted an inquery on this - i found the steps on how to do this in the forums very easy. Its not a bad thing to be ignorant in some areas of computer management, learning always helps though

For an old FREE game it sounds like your just a bit too upset and have your expectations set a bit too high, ask specific questions and leave all that other junk out, you will still likely get your answer without everyone thinking your being too intense and needy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowe
I get the virus threat also. Why is this program not probing the accounts on the server. Instead you want to look at my pc. A little to much for me. There are ways to detect cheating on the server it self, and not peoples pc. I don;t want you probing my pc info. Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock is what I get in file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\dsetup.dll. With this This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

I dont think all cheating software is easily detectable via server-side. I believe most games use anti-cheat software most notably counter-strike and WoW, why shouldn't EQ?

We humans are naturally suspicious and paranoid, it has been a very needed survival trait which will likely stick around with us for a long time into the future, but unfortunately in the advanced society we are evolving into it has some negative side effects such as causing us to distrust when its really ok to trust. I really dont know thats the case here, if we can trust all the files from the P99 team, only time will tell; but all of us have trusted the files so far up till now and our PC's haven't blown up yet, ive trusted and allowed that recent file and so far no smoke or sizzling happening over here - Im pretty sure we can continue to trust the files from them.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yo Flowe, relax, im over here in Gilbert. Been on p99 for 7 years, its just anticheat software. get your ass in here
Old 09-11-2019, 02:13 AM
Orc

Default Trust

I played eq and eq2 for years and never had a virus threat with patches. I want to know what they are looking at. I have private files I don't want people probing. If other games use software to find out your cheating that does not make my virus protection go off on it. I don't trust something I don't know what they are probing. And what about people who can't use the keyboard with their hands. Because of a illness. They use bots to use their voice to do keyboard input. Is that going to flag them as cheaters? They put it there and don't explain what it looks for and why it was put there. Maybe SOE should get involved. Because this seems not right to put a virus on people computer. I am all for catching cheaters. But to put a virus on my computer is not the way to go.

Just saying. Gilbert person.

FYI Blizzard shut them down. So no more WOW. So Blizzard is making a classic server.
Last edited by Flowe; 09-11-2019 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Add P.S.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

People this ignorant also vote. . .

Le sigh
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 AM
Orc

Default Hmm

Boy that was harsh. About my concerns of a virus on my PC. The dumbest question is the one not asked. I know as a programmer nothing is not hack-able. If cheaters are cheating don;t you think they can hack the anti-cheat software?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Boy that was harsh. About my concerns of a virus on my PC. The dumbest question is the one not asked. I know as a programmer nothing is not hack-able. If cheaters are cheating don;t you think they can hack the anti-cheat software?
There’s no virus in the p99 files and this server has a reputation for cheaters getting quickly caught and banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I also want to address the recent issues with false positive anti-virus flags on our files. As I've explained in the past, we run our Custom DLL through a layer of obfuscation using a program called Themida. This program alters several aspects of the code to make it significantly harder for someone to reverse engineer and disassemble it. The reason we do this is that it contains anti-cheat mechanisms. Our files alone do not flag any anti-virus, and have a complete 0 detection on VirusTotal. Therefore it is entirely the Themida protection that triggers these flags. There are two reasons for this. First, the anti virus programs can't read our files and determine what they are doing, so they are flagging it out of an abundance of caution. Secondly, there are many viruses out there that DO use Themida to mask what their virus is doing, and many Anti Viruses have opted to completely blacklist any file protected by it. I want to reiterate something I've said in the past that remains true: Our Anti-Cheat system does not send any information to our servers about the files and programs on your computer unless they are Everquest files, or have interacted with the Everquest client.

With all of that said, with this latest file pack, I've reverted back to an older version of Themida that should hopefully result in less false positives. I will continue to investigate alternatives to prevent this, such as Certificate Code Signing.

Thanks all, and keep an eye out for some Green news coming soon! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There are new required files. Download and extract the Project 1999 Files (V49b) to your EQ Titanium Directory.
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Last edited by aaezil; 09-11-2019 at 02:42 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 AM
Orc

Default Info

Thank you, That piece of info explains a lot. Now instead of calling me ignorant why did you not just direct me to this?

PS Going to reinstall eq and play. On an pc I don't have anything on of importance on it.
Last edited by Flowe; 09-11-2019 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: ps
Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Orc

Default Camp Crash

Almost every time I camp my toon out Game crashes. Help plz.

Never did that until the patch