Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bruh at this point, Nilbog is not "recreating" classic eq. what we're playing is called, "EverQuest, as envisioned by Nilbog"

you obviously don't play the game, or read the forums much, and if you do, you're blind and deaf.
Rough life for you getting to play on a free emulated server that even if not 100% classic in every way is still as close as you can get.

Quit complaining. We're extremely lucky to even have P99 as it is.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:14 PM
Sarnak

your fault for not playing a busted class

now delete your character, try harder on the character creation screen, and stfu
Old 08-17-2021, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its not a main, i don't have mains, anyone who says they have a main is a shmuck.
Some people that aren't shmucks have mains or even only one character. Sorry your main was a mage. I agree about the frustration on selectively implemented nerfs.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

I like it, I actively play it, I have earned the right to bitch about it!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rough life for you getting to play on a free emulated server that even if not 100% classic in every way is still as close as you can get.

Quit complaining. We're extremely lucky to even have P99 as it is.
You set the bar extremely low. Just "existing" is good enough. They could have made the project open source and so lots of servers could have improved upon it.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You set the bar extremely low. Just "existing" is good enough. They could have made the project open source and so lots of servers could have improved upon it.
I mean the EQ code is there in the Titanium client isn't it? Just need to be able to modify it
Old 08-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Sarnak

I do miss my ludicrously overpowered 57 earth pet.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who played on live knows charming is unclassic here
The knowledge base for enchanters is just higher in 2021 than in 1999. Charming is still risky on p99. It takes hundreds of deaths before an enchanter player learns how to avoid death in a high-level dungeon. Of course, those players who have stuck around and still play here are more likely those capable of reaching that higher level of play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that's the reason why guilds couldn't cheeze Tunare with a bunch of Enchanters on live
That's just an example of one of the many metagaming strats p99 guilds have come up with since blue launched. It's high risk/high reward. I've seen on numerous occasions, guilds having to leave corpses up in PoG overnight because they died during the raid and couldn't be rescued. It used to happen all the time and it's frustrating. Your posts just read like cope, Loramin.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilirubin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The knowledge base for enchanters is just higher in 2021 than in 1999. Charming is still risky on p99. It takes hundreds of deaths before an enchanter player learns how to avoid death in a high-level dungeon. Of course, those players who have stuck around and still play here are more likely those capable of reaching that higher level of play.
Not trying to insult you, but this is just so very typical of the hubris of players here. We all like to imagine that we're geniuses who have unlocked incredible secrets that those idiots who played back in 1999-2001 had no clue about ... but the truth is EQ is fundamentally not a hard game, there was literally 20+ times as many players on live, and they were not all morons.

Yes, it is true we have playe knowledge that live players didn't have, but not about the fundamentals. Live Enchanters largely weren't carrying around Goblin Gazughi rings and tons of -MR gear, but ... they did know how to cast the spells on their spell list!

You'll get no argument from me that charming here is more efficient, but things like -MR gear and no Goblin ring don't explain the MASSIVE delta between us and live. Consider: Enchanters charming in groups was rare on live, but it's expected here. And judging by historical evidence (ie. the number of guides on web-archived Caster's Realm) Druids root/rotted or quadded 20x times more than they charmed on live ... but here few Druids at all root/rot, because charming is clearly and obviously a superior way of earning XP (even without the ring!) until quad levels.

We all want to imagine that we're all super smart, and it's true we do know more than everyone on live, but again fundamentally: if you make a Street Fighter II emulator where no one ever Dragon Punches with Ryu, it's not because "player knowledge of Street Fighter II changed" ... it's because the emulator isn't matching the original game.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Just ignore Loramin on this guys. His MO is to take his own server's experience and apply it to everybody.

He willfully ignores you when you point out that each server's experience could be highly variable. If it didn't happen on his server the way it does on P99, then it means it's not classic.
Closed Thread