Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 02:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are the glory days of enchanters over?
It seems so. There are p99-era web captures of devs explaining explicitly that charisma does in fact affect charm duration. Alas, some EQdev has inferred from PoP-era data that CHA does not. Of course, this may be true about PoP-era charm but that doesn't necessarily apply to the era p99 devs are interested in emulating. I don't buy the idea that the original devs misunderstood how charm worked. There's a recent interview on YT with Geoffrey Zatkin, EQ's original spell designer, where he goes into detail how Brad, himself, and the other devs would frequently meet and discuss the minutia of EQ's mechanics for hours and hours. You don't get the sense that Zatkin would misconstrue how this essential spell worked.
Last edited by bilirubin; 11-11-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Old 11-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Logged into HS and my level 57 enchanter got Rekd by entrance mobs. All charms and roots broke very quick. I continued to work the entrance mobs and root and charm broke very quickly.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeeter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im curious to see if this is a small nerf or small buff or maybe not change much at all. Thanks for the feed back. I really wish I had a link on where or who this info came from.
The exact impact this has is documented in another thread.

It is going to be extremely bad for enchanters charming mobs around their level, for a lvl 60 enchanter charming a lvl 52ish mob it means around +35 MR for the mob.

Anyone that wants to test the impact this has can just take of their CHA gear, or if level 60, try charming a 52ish mob without tash.

The impact for a level 60 chanter charming a lvl 45ish or lower mob is close to zero, since the level difference and tash already bring those level mobs to the lowest MR possible they can have for the purpose of the charm break check.

This will mostly impact level 40-55 enchanters, since those typically charm mobs closer to their own level, level 60s charming higher level mobs, and of course every group with either of those.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The exact impact this has is documented in another thread.

It is going to be extremely bad for enchanters charming mobs around their level, for a lvl 60 enchanter charming a lvl 52ish mob it means around +35 MR for the mob.

Anyone that wants to test the impact this has can just take of their CHA gear, or if level 60, try charming a 52ish mob without tash.

The impact for a level 60 chanter charming a lvl 45ish or lower mob is close to zero, since the level difference and tash already bring those level mobs to the lowest MR possible they can have for the purpose of the charm break check.

This will mostly impact level 40-55 enchanters, since those typically charm mobs closer to their own level, level 60s charming higher level mobs, and of course every group with either of those.
Sounds a whole lot more like classic to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds a whole lot more like classic to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You aren't here for classic, you are just trying to ruin other classes with your incessant moaning and lies.

It isn't subtle, it isn't smart.

You being happy about other classes being nerfed says a lot about you as a person.

I'll make sure to post a compilation of quotes from you on the topic, so every enchanter knows how this came to be and who to thank.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You aren't here for classic, you are just trying to ruin other classes with your incessant moaning and lies.

You being happy about other classes being nerfed says a lot about you as a person.

I'll make sure to post a compilation of quotes from you on the topic, so every enchanter knows how this came to be and who to thank.
Dang that some high quality salt
Old 11-17-2021, 04:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Yowza!

While I super appreciate Loramin on the positive contribution he has made to the wiki I disagree with his perspective on this issue. Chanter charm works as it did in classic, we’re just magnitudes better informed than we were at that time.

There were zero enchanters who knew to tash, max their charisma, choose low MR mobs, and give their pets -mr items all at the same time. Sure we knew some pieces at various points, but couldn’t see the full picture. We didn’t even know about all of the +cha items we do today much less religiously keep up self buffs for charisma.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:31 PM
Fire Giant

This server isn't any closer to classic than other EMUs. Not sure why that's still the goal when they've deviated so far from it.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yowza!

While I super appreciate Loramin on the positive contribution he has made to the wiki I disagree with his perspective on this issue. Chanter charm works as it did in classic, we’re just magnitudes better informed than we were at that time.

There were zero enchanters who knew to tash, max their charisma, choose low MR mobs, and give their pets -mr items all at the same time. Sure we knew some pieces at various points, but couldn’t see the full picture. We didn’t even know about all of the +cha items we do today much less religiously keep up self buffs for charisma.
There is no certainty about how it worked back then.

Why would they put in precious dev time to change something while not certain?

See Loramins dozens if not hundreds of "subtle" posts asking for it.

pro tip: it isn't because someone adds a smiley to their posts, or writes lies in a positive tone, that they are a trustworthy person
Old 11-17-2021, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

I’m amazed by all these people apparently with access to the trilogy, eqemu and p1999 source codes who are as such able to make definitive statements on how hidden classic mechanics worked and whether p1999 is moving closer or further from that.
Closed Thread