Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 04:36 AM
Sarnak

Water pets are the best DPS, but Earth pets can be invaluable with the huge HP's and rooting. Having a tanking earth pet can save you if you over nuke or someone over pulls. If your not worried about agro Water pets all the way to 60. All i ever used was earth, the 49th level earth pet is best soloing, even at 60th level I still use that soloing. Why? It only costs 200 mana, with foci can have up to 3500 hps. At 50th level you med back 200 mana a minute. The higher level pets cost twice as much mana to cast have fewer, almost half the hps in some cases. Plus Tash and earth pet root can be quite powerful in some zones. Water pets are lower end of hps, but they will out dps all the other pets, so best in groups.
Also, I still use 49th level earth pet because the Quest Foci do not work on pets above that level. So the 49th level pet w/ foci is better than the higher level earth pets without Foci. If you get any epic foci, then go with that of course. Till you do, 49th level earth pet is best. FYI- I do not believe monster summon can use foci, so they are garbage. If you dont know what mage foci is, Wiki it up son.
Last edited by NPC; 01-01-2022 at 04:45 AM..
Old 01-11-2022, 09:59 PM
Aviak

I have always used Earth solo, except for a brief period of time in the early 40s when I used fire in Overthere. My suggestion is water for groups, earth for solo, and the rest are situational. After 50 Fire just doesn't have the health to compete with Earth and Water. Arguably neither does Air.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Water pets are the best DPS, but Earth pets can be invaluable with the huge HP's and rooting. Having a tanking earth pet can save you if you over nuke or someone over pulls. If your not worried about agro Water pets all the way to 60. All i ever used was earth, the 49th level earth pet is best soloing, even at 60th level I still use that soloing. Why? It only costs 200 mana, with foci can have up to 3500 hps. At 50th level you med back 200 mana a minute. The higher level pets cost twice as much mana to cast have fewer, almost half the hps in some cases. Plus Tash and earth pet root can be quite powerful in some zones. Water pets are lower end of hps, but they will out dps all the other pets, so best in groups.
Also, I still use 49th level earth pet because the Quest Foci do not work on pets above that level. So the 49th level pet w/ foci is better than the higher level earth pets without Foci. If you get any epic foci, then go with that of course. Till you do, 49th level earth pet is best. FYI- I do not believe monster summon can use foci, so they are garbage. If you dont know what mage foci is, Wiki it up son.
This is terrible information please ignore.
There's an argument for continuing to use the 49 pet instead of the 51, but the 57 pet is a huge upgrade.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:35 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is terrible information please ignore.
There's an argument for continuing to use the 49 pet instead of the 51, but the 57 pet is a huge upgrade.
From my understanding almost universally it's agreed that the Water Pet at 60 does the most damage of any pet, including the epic, due to backstab. After 54 there is little reason to use anything else, except when you are paranoid and plan on chain summoning and nuking, in that situation you may want earth to root, but only if the situation prevents you from kiting.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:23 AM
Kobold

It's the Pet HP to Mana cost ratio. The 49 pet has the best HP to Mana ratio for all Magician pets. Also the Lesser Focus does not work on the 50+ pets and is far easier to obtain than the greater focuses. 49 Pet is the best when chain summoning.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's the Pet HP to Mana cost ratio. The 49 pet has the best HP to Mana ratio for all Magician pets. Also the Lesser Focus does not work on the 50+ pets and is far easier to obtain than the greater focuses. 49 Pet is the best when chain summoning.
Wouldn't the extra health not matter when it takes MORE damage due to it being lower level?
Old 01-17-2022, 12:55 AM
Kobold

Would be Marginal Differences in Mitigation. Not worth the extra mana cost.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wouldn't the extra health not matter when it takes MORE damage due to it being lower level?
Yes very much, the 49 pet vs any decent xp mob at 57+ gets absolutely shredded, whereas the 57 pet holds it's own fine. I even found the 51 pet better on my own long haul on seafury island, I timed the fights and the 51 pet usually killed them about 45seconds - minute faster, and little downtime with either pet chaining 1 per mob there.
Last edited by PatChapp; 01-17-2022 at 07:21 AM..
Old 01-17-2022, 07:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From my understanding almost universally it's agreed that the Water Pet at 60 does the most damage of any pet, including the epic, due to backstab. After 54 there is little reason to use anything else, except when you are paranoid and plan on chain summoning and nuking, in that situation you may want earth to root, but only if the situation prevents you from kiting.
The 57 earth pet is your solo pet from the time you get it. The water pet is much less tanky
Old 01-17-2022, 09:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The 57 earth pet is your solo pet from the time you get it. The water pet is much less tanky
This is correct.

Also the focused 59 air is about the same tank wise, if a little better, if you don't need root.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Closed Thread