Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 08:41 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like people pushing for teams are either trolling to get another depopulation fest with red 2.0 or they havent thought out the ramifications of the server ruleset well enough. Like ive repeated this for years and not once, someone replied and told me how the high levels camping low level zones thing would not happen.
Well let me be the first to dispel these false notions. There are many ways to curb this behavior. The most obvious are level caps for PVP. (adopting more of a Tallon / Vallon level range of PVP) I believe it was +/- 8 level range?

But... if we want that whole TOTAL WAR, scorched earth feel, which is awesome, then unrestricted PVP is the best. It is also the best way to deal with pesky OOR healers. So Sullon Zek style no level range would be best.

I saw many high level killings on Sullon Zek back in the day. Some fool would come into a lowbie zone, and shortly be forced to flee or die after getting swarmed by groups of noobs. Also, your own team's high levels would occasionally patrol low level areas, clearing out griefers.

However, if neither one of these things occur, then there are custom changes that could be implemented to put an end to that type of griefing:
  • Incentivize home defense style PVP. -custom titles, 1 item loot etc... would only apply to PVP by high lvls in lowbie areas, and only eligible to the defending team. (this also allows item loot to make an appearance, in a limited form.)
  • Yellow text "territory defense" broadcasts, alerting your team to the griefer.
  • Negative "res effects" or something similar to the griefer after repeated killings of the same person.
  • Sullon Zek token system or a custom point system - disincentivize lowbie killing by removing a token / points upon repeated killings.
  • Custom faction hits - the griefer will soon be hated by all the guards & npcs.

Obviously the server would need clearly defined team territory to make some of these custom changes plausible. This pic encapsulates it pretty well.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Elendil's Giveaway
Last edited by Old_PVP; 07-10-2021 at 08:52 AM..
Old 07-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Banned

First thanks for the detailed response, we might get somewhere with this if devs read the feedback (I dont think they will lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw many high level killings on Sullon Zek back in the day. Some fool would come into a lowbie zone, and shortly be forced to flee or die after getting swarmed by groups of noobs. Also, your own team's high levels would occasionally patrol low level areas, clearing out griefers.
I dont think this will ever happen on red, the high levels giving a shit about their team. I could be wrong though. What im not wrong on, is the level range. On Rallos you could basically burn all your mana as a wiz on a 4 level range and barely dent his health. When you con'd a player and he came out red, that was the cue to go hide or gate. This will be worse with an 8 level range and basically invincibility for high level players with no level range. Thats what hit me immediately with WoW and why i said its a better pvp game. You could contribute to taking down a 52 hunter with your 27 priest if the hunter got cocky and got himself into a 3vs1 fight (real thing that happened to me). I remember on sullon you could nuke a red all day and nothing would happen, the guy can just stand there and take it. Perma resists, if i remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
However, if neither one of these things occur, then there are custom changes that could be implemented to put an end to that type of griefing:
  • Incentivize home defense style PVP. -custom titles, 1 item loot etc... would only apply to PVP by high lvls in lowbie areas, and only eligible to the defending team. (this also allows item loot to make an appearance, in a limited form.)
  • Yellow text "territory defense" broadcasts, alerting your team to the griefer.
  • Negative "res effects" or something similar to the griefer after repeated killings of the same person.
  • Sullon Zek token system or a custom point system - disincentivize lowbie killing by removing a token / points upon repeated killings.
  • Custom faction hits - the griefer will soon be hated by all the guards & npcs.
These are all good suggestions and i couldnt see the server working with at least something similar patched in. I would add that you cant camp in a hostile zone and if you disconnect, you have to wait 2-3h before being able to log back in again. Or something. Maybe some additional custom guards to secure the zones a bit more, too. But since P99 prides itself on no custom, fat chance any of this will happen.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 07-10-2021 at 09:47 AM..
Old 07-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Orc

on deity (sullon), when I played, like I said, I was a newt.
We held Rivervale, I was an erud wiz solro.
day's play entailed:
loggin into RV, finding out where the Call to Arms was (where the fight was..HighPass or Kithicor/Commons, or East Karana/Beholder). Always hoped for HighPass, most chaos guaranteed.
ran to action. if encountered enemies, /shout /loc and frenz came to rez and fight back enemies. was not in a guild btw, most werent, cept the madlad wreckin crews. We had a 6 boxing (in that day it was a feat 3 desktop, 3 laptop) ranger with 5 wiz trailin him always patrolling the karanas.
we had families of crazed trolls who lived to kill players who wandered near the water's edge in NK/WK zoneline (something bout trolls and a bridge, but they werent hi enuff to kill the qeynos guards to actually live under it yet).
the place was always poppin full of action, and toxicity wasnt a thing then, but you could call for help and people came.. fast.
cause if you killed someone they dropped medals to buy gear (that we never saw, they never implemented the vendors before the server ended).

you could not /hidecorpse thus monks hid in piles of bodies, very clever of them actually. so you aoe'd corpse piles!

so no, tradesonred. I been askin for deity to come back on EQ servers since the day they took it away. No change in my stance since then, no EQ has been even close to playable since playin on deity for me. No conspiracy here, straight been askin the same thing for almost 2 decades (while I play other games since they wont re-release the best version of eq).
and I know there a quite a few others who played deity server that feel the same way.

also as far as WoW.. Tigole and Furor can rot in hell for helpin a company who is owned by the CCP. i avoid talking of WoW, but i agree, the pvp was good, i was a warlord for horde on my server in the day. but i feel the dev team is traitorous to the country and honestly fueled and bred the current form of toxicity in gaming today and since they owned by the CCP(tencent) it was prolly planned.
Last edited by torr071; 07-10-2021 at 01:36 PM..
Old 07-10-2021, 01:58 PM
Banned

Have you played here? This isnt live. You have to pre-empt what the griefers are going to do and nip it in the bud or its a pretty much guaranteed fail.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:10 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you played here? This isnt live. You have to pre-empt what the griefers are going to do and nip it in the bud or its a pretty much guaranteed fail.
i only spoke of my exp on deity server. past tense.

but the exp is validity insofar as what can occur on a teams eq server, based on classic code.
ive also played on all but the 2 team server of eq (i was was swg/daoc/warhammer/wow by that time). and did dabble a bit on the single zek reformed. that is also past exp I have established in this thread, basically the meme of the newbie log grief camping. yeah that wasnt a meme, that was gameplay on an ffa eq servers. fun but not.
i agree, griefing is horrible to a community for pvp to thrive.

i dont pre-empt or fortell anything, just talk about what I have seen and exp and try to apply it to future decisions, yes.
imho of all the mmo pvp games i have played (since tanarus) the best community was the diety eq based one.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torr071 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont pre-empt or fortell anything, just talk about what I have seen and exp and try to apply it to future decisions, yes.
imho of all the mmo pvp games i have played (since tanarus) the best community was the diety eq based one.
I dont think you realise how bad the toxicity is here, was the point. Since weve seen it, it would be stupid to start a new server and not act on that experience.

They were consciously deceiving the devs, to be able to depopulate the server they were playing on, even though it was plainly obvious and inevitable that the outcome was going to be a dead server. Thats the kind of stupidity and toxicity coming from players you have to deal with here. If they fail to put brakes on those people, the server will fail. Simple as that.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by torr071 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
also as far as WoW.. Tigole and Furor can rot in hell for helpin a company who is owned by the CCP. i avoid talking of WoW, but i agree, the pvp was good, i was a warlord for horde on my server in the day. but i feel the dev team is traitorous to the country and honestly fueled and bred the current form of toxicity in gaming today and since they owned by the CCP(tencent) it was prolly planned.
Put the pipe down sir.
Closed Thread