Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 02:30 PM
Aviak

Default Seeking resource for running p99 on Catalina

I promise I'm doing my own research but might as well post here too and see if anyone can help. iMac 13,2 running Catalina and I'm not very Mac literate thus far. Any tips / resources recommended? tia <3
Old 01-28-2021, 10:00 PM
Kobold

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=56238
Old 01-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Orc

Unfortunately - running P99 on OSX post Catalina isn't possible via wineskin any longer (this includes the unofficial branch which is supposed to support legacy 32b binaries). You can run the vanilla EQ install via wineskin on Catalina, but it'll crash once you overlay the p99 files - I think this is due to some low level code signing changes that went live with Catalina.

You really have 2 options for running on OSX Catalina+

1.) Run in a virtual machine - Parallels is generally the best in class product here, but there are other options (Including free ones like Virtualbox) - but I've had the most success with Parallels.

2.) Install Windows 7 or 10 via bootcamp. This is generally the most stable, reliable and performant way to play p99 - but requires you to reboot your machine any time you want to swap between OSX and Windows.

I actually use both of these depending on which machine I'm working on - and generally have had no issues
Old 01-30-2021, 01:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguirk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2.) Install Windows 7 or 10 via bootcamp. This is generally the most stable, reliable and performant way to play p99 - but requires you to reboot your machine any time you want to swap between OSX and Windows.
Second this. I’ve been running Win 8.1 Pro on a 2015 MBP 2nd gen through bootcamp for several years now and it has been rock solid. If the M1 sticks around we’ll likely be forced into virtualization, which is fine. For now though, I recommend taking advantage of Bootcamp.