Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 01-08-2023, 03:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... in the Chinese Cultural Revolution. 1966-1976

Read about it. They persecuted all religions (among other groups) in favor of state atheism, millions died, far more than in the Thirty Years War in Europe, the Spanish Inquisition, or the Crusades. It continues today in a softer form with the Uyghurs.
Not the same thing. You're say politics is a religion. You're saying if they kill someone, they did it because of "atheism"? Not because they state wanted you to die then sent someone to kill you.

I dont believe they went around killing millions of people saying "non-divine punishment" or "im killing you in the name of atheism.".

If it has an ideology, like kill all believers, its not atheism. That is something entirely different and totally insane.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Banned

Human nature seems to have an inherent need for religious thinking, no matter how much a particular human might claim otherwise. When you remove religion, something religion-shaped will fill the void and there's no guarantee it will be something good much less something better.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Trust the science.

I mean Vatican.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

People get confused. They misunderstand the religion to be the absolute truth. Rather than the path. A path.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People get confused. They misunderstand the religion to be the absolute truth. Rather than the path. A path.

Quote:
13. Now We consider another abundant source of the evils with which the Church is afflicted at present: indifferentism. This perverse opinion is spread on all sides by the fraud of the wicked who claim that it is possible to obtain the eternal salvation of the soul by the profession of any kind of religion, as long as morality is maintained. Surely, in so clear a matter, you will drive this deadly error far from the people committed to your care. With the admonition of the apostle that “there is one God, one faith, one baptism”[16] may those fear who contrive the notion that the safe harbor of salvation is open to persons of any religion whatever. They should consider the testimony of Christ Himself that “those who are not with Christ are against Him,”[17] and that they disperse unhappily who do not gather with Him. Therefore “without a doubt, they will perish forever, unless they hold the Catholic faith whole and inviolate.”[18] Let them hear Jerome who, while the Church was torn into three parts by schism, tells us that whenever someone tried to persuade him to join his group he always exclaimed: “He who is for the See of Peter is for me.”[19] A schismatic flatters himself falsely if he asserts that he, too, has been washed in the waters of regeneration. Indeed Augustine would reply to such a man: “The branch has the same form when it has been cut off from the vine; but of what profit for it is the form, if it does not live from the root?”[20]
This perverse opinion is spread on all sides by the fraud of the wicked who claim that it is possible to obtain the eternal salvation of the soul by the profession of any kind of religion, as long as morality is maintained.

Quote:
14. This shameful font of indifferentism gives rise to that absurd and erroneous proposition which claims that liberty of conscience must be maintained for everyone. It spreads ruin in sacred and civil affairs, though some repeat over and over again with the greatest impudence that some advantage accrues to religion from it. “But the death of the soul is worse than freedom of error,” as Augustine was wont to say.[21] When all restraints are removed by which men are kept on the narrow path of truth, their nature, which is already inclined to evil, propels them to ruin. Then truly “the bottomless pit”[22] is open from which John saw smoke ascending which obscured the sun, and out of which locusts flew forth to devastate the earth. Thence comes transformation of minds, corruption of youths, contempt of sacred things and holy laws — in other words, a pestilence more deadly to the state than any other. Experience shows, even from earliest times, that cities renowned for wealth, dominion, and glory perished as a result of this single evil, namely immoderate freedom of opinion, license of free speech, and desire for novelty.
Thence comes transformation of minds, corruption of youths, contempt of sacred things and holy laws — in other words, a pestilence more deadly to the state than any other. Experience shows, even from earliest times, that cities renowned for wealth, dominion, and glory perished as a result of this single evil, namely immoderate freedom of opinion, license of free speech, and desire for novelty.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

Old 01-09-2023, 08:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRogers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not the same thing. You're say politics is a religion. You're saying if they kill someone, they did it because of "atheism"? Not because they state wanted you to die then sent someone to kill you.

I dont believe they went around killing millions of people saying "non-divine punishment" or "im killing you in the name of atheism.".

If it has an ideology, like kill all believers, its not atheism. That is something entirely different and totally insane.
I see what you're saying but it's just semantics at this point. You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRogers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never seen a jihad in the name of secularism.
The cultural revolution was a jihad in the name of a secular ideology, literally attacking all religions, the intelligentsia, capitalists, bourgeoisie, etc, to impose a non-religious (secular) ideology. They had a clearly defined position of state atheism, which they maintain to this day.

It was as close to an atheist jihad as the Catholic crusades were to actual crusades, rather than political adventurism by noble second sons for land, title, wealth, and glory.
Last edited by Lune; 01-09-2023 at 08:19 AM..
Old 01-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Human nature seems to have an inherent need for religious thinking, no matter how much a particular human might claim otherwise. When you remove religion, something religion-shaped will fill the void and there's no guarantee it will be something good much less something better.
Our prefrontal cortexes are hard-wired with abstract, symbolic constructions of laws, culture, behavior, philosophy, etc, by the time we reach adulthood. In some people, those are religious laws/behaviors (culture), and in others, it's a culture stemming from a more secular philosophy.

So I think the more accurate statement would be: Human nature seems to have an inherent need for lawful or systematic thinking in line with their learned culture.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This perverse opinion is spread on all sides by the fraud of the wicked who claim that it is possible to obtain the eternal salvation of the soul by the profession of any kind of religion, as long as morality is maintained.

Thence comes transformation of minds, corruption of youths, contempt of sacred things and holy laws — in other words, a pestilence more deadly to the state than any other. Experience shows, even from earliest times, that cities renowned for wealth, dominion, and glory perished as a result of this single evil, namely immoderate freedom of opinion, license of free speech, and desire for novelty.
I never said just any religion would do. Or that straying from religion would be good. Or that having no religion was ok. In fact bending the rules of a particular religion to suit yourself is blasphemous as well.

Yes I agree with your quotations. This is certainly the downfall of our times.

I don't know how to phrase my original assertion better.

It's very important to have a strong practice. And religion is the key to salvation. Particularly for the masses. There are very few exceptions.

Imho. The purpose of religion is to aid and bring those who are low and devoid of spirit up and into G-ds path. Without religion the vast majority are without hope of salvation in this lifetime.

Judaism is the best place to start. Try the Mormons if you need something a bit less esoteric and something more grounded and structured. And try Catholicism if you need something pragmatic, straight forward, and mercantile. They'll all eventually get you going down the right road.

Do not recommend the vast majority of protestant or Baptist faiths. My experience is they are the most easily infiltrated by devils. Not to say they are entirely invalid. Just buyer beware. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm quite serious.

Also yes. Your quotes are a strong argument for Catholicism in mine eyes. I will reconsider.

However exhibit A

The guy says a lot in the first few minutes. Reincarnation is a tangent for another thread.

---

in my case my power levels are way to high

i should def not start a new religion

i do not want to be the antichrist or go to heaven

even tho I wish to follow G-d
Last edited by magnetaress; 01-09-2023 at 10:08 AM..
Old 01-09-2023, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

(I also don't want to be reincarnated either)