Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Sarnak

We may be talking about similar things here. Consider an example.

Adam is a 26 year-old unmarried, investment banker. He makes $140,000 per year and drives a Porsche (leased of course), has a $10,000 Rolex, pays $2500 in rent, and allots $3000 a month to clothing and frivolous expenses. He buys material goods on a whim and doesn't put much into savings because his philosophy is live now. Because he works so much, he parties hard on the weekends and like to "live life to the fullest."

Bob is a 30 year-old married teacher with 1 kid. He makes $60,000 per year and drives a used Camry that he purchase with money down he saved for a year. He wears a $30 Timex and hasn't purchased new clothes in months. He and his wife have a $1500 mortgage and own a small starter home. Bob was careful to chose location over anything else, and now his house has 80% equity in it. Before any purchase, he careful does his research, a quick cost-analysis, weighing the pros and cons. Every month he puts away 10% of his earnings (over and above the 10% taken for his retirement) into an index mutual fund and has been doing this since he graduated college. He now has a nice little "emergency fund" of $50,000 build up after 8 years.

I know many people like Adam and Bob. Adam is a smart guy, but chooses to be ignorant. Bob is well-informed, again by choice. It takes effort to be either, but it's the choices they make that determine who they are.

Which person is better for society?

As a caveat, it really doesn't matter overall to YOU or ME. Each individual example is illusory, or simply a projection of our thoughts and ideals. What you do doesn't affect me unless I allow it to, and vice versa. We should all do exact what we want to do.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Aviak

I'd go with Bob. Adam is a dick.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Decaying Skeleton

thank you guys
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

i dont really care for adam or bob.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Kobold

Who wears a watch?

I think neither has chosen a profession worth anything to society. I mean teaching might be a more noble calling if it weren't for the corrupt racket that is modern education.

The US gov't would pick Bob simply because he has chosen to produce a replacement tax payer.

I'd probably pick Adam because his frivolous spending habits help create a luxury market where quality in goods actually matters, an area of manufacturing sorely missed in today's world.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Shotgun toutin elmer fudd *****
the day i met money i fell in love *****

just fucked you all up

disclaimer i copied that shit from Lil Wayne
Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Sarnak

U rhymed with the same word.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

u would say that
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Orc

ITT rantings from an "idealist" psychotic misanthrope and pointless sermons from self-righteous, self-proclaimed genius
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We may be talking about similar things here. Consider an example.

Adam is a 26 year-old unmarried, investment banker. He makes $140,000 per year and drives a Porsche (leased of course), has a $10,000 Rolex, pays $2500 in rent, and allots $3000 a month to clothing and frivolous expenses. He buys material goods on a whim and doesn't put much into savings because his philosophy is live now. Because he works so much, he parties hard on the weekends and like to "live life to the fullest."

Bob is a 30 year-old married teacher with 1 kid. He makes $60,000 per year and drives a used Camry that he purchase with money down he saved for a year. He wears a $30 Timex and hasn't purchased new clothes in months. He and his wife have a $1500 mortgage and own a small starter home. Bob was careful to chose location over anything else, and now his house has 80% equity in it. Before any purchase, he careful does his research, a quick cost-analysis, weighing the pros and cons. Every month he puts away 10% of his earnings (over and above the 10% taken for his retirement) into an index mutual fund and has been doing this since he graduated college. He now has a nice little "emergency fund" of $50,000 build up after 8 years.

I know many people like Adam and Bob. Adam is a smart guy, but chooses to be ignorant. Bob is well-informed, again by choice. It takes effort to be either, but it's the choices they make that determine who they are.

Which person is better for society?

As a caveat, it really doesn't matter overall to YOU or ME. Each individual example is illusory, or simply a projection of our thoughts and ideals. What you do doesn't affect me unless I allow it to, and vice versa. We should all do exact what we want to do.
If you're such an uber mindlord, why is it that you write like a fucking moron?

As a caveat you're a fucking quad.
Closed Thread