Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Orc

Post Extensive EQ guide for new players (heavily edited, now on p99wiki)

I recently started playing EQ on project 1999, I had absolutley no experiance when I came here. I posted many pointless questions and pestered many people to learn a few basics about the game. The most frutrating and difficult aspect to communicate was the unimportance of quests and gear at the beginning. I would like to present some of the newbies like me with a few questions that are difficult to find details on.

the guide can be found here: http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...Buy_a_Torch.21

1.Before you do anything!
When you are born you have a few basic items: food, water, a sword, a book, maybe a couple spells and a note. The first thing you want to do is equip your sword. After that, learn your spells by dragging the scrolls from your inventory into your spellbook and putting the spells on your spell bar (called gemming). it takes a few seconds to memorize and learn spells(indicated by the bar at the bottom of your spellbook)save your list of spells by right clicking the spellbook button at the bottom of your spellbar hitting "save spell list" and naming the list, this will come in handy later.

1.2 Quests.
Yes, there are quests, with that said they are not like EQ2 or WoW. The Quests are very simple and are meant for faction experience and gear , for the most part, something you don't really need to worry about till maybe lvl 20. You will not see marked quests anywhere, EQclassic does NOT have a quest log. You can type notes to remember where quests are and what quests to do by typing "/note" or just writing it down on paper. If you really want to quest you probably want to look up the quests on p99 wiki, they are catagorized by zone. In the beginning There are several quests that will give far more XP than grinding will Crushbone belts/pads, bone chips, gnoll teeth, etc. Though it's advisable to hold on to bonechips for reasons explained later (on the "making money" section) in this guide. (information courtesy of Extunarian Thank you ) Also, there are epic quests, these are more important than regular quest but, I will not talk about them due to lack of experience, by the time you get one you should already know what you're doing anyways.

1.3 A Quick note on gear
There are no level restrictions restrictions for wearing gear, if you find it wear it if you find an upgrade wear that. Although there ARE class restrictions, the only thing close to a level ristriction are magic weapons that proc when they hit, on these weapons it will proc but,until you are high enough level to use the proc, the game will say "you are not high enough level to control this item".

1.4 Finding your GM
When you start a character you are born with a note in your inventory, when you give the note to the person specified in the note (your GM), she/he will give you your starter tunic/robe. Giving the note to the GM is up to you, I've heard contradicting information about turning in the note. Some say giving the note to the GM ussually has some negitive effects later in the game via factions and you shouldn't do it unless you know exactly what you are doing. Others say they've never had a problem and there's nothing to worry about, I will be doing some research to find out which is true and which is false. (they might both be right)

1.5 Making Money
There are several ways to make money, one of the best ways is to sell bonechips (necromancers of all levels need them) A single stack of 20 will earn you 10 plat easily, which is a lot for a low level character. Other then that just vendor all stuff you can't use.No matter what your is class it is advisable you grind to level 2-3 infront of your starting city before going anywhere. Spells cost money, and that's something you are not born with. Pick everything up from monsters and sell it to the vendor, there is ussually one right at the enterance to the city.

1.4.1 Buy a Torch!
on the subject of vendors, buy a torch, they are very cheap and it gets very dark at night, better safe than sorry.

1.5 Spells/getting spells
Depending on your class your trainer could be in a few different areas, it will tell you where to go on the note, if you have trouble finding it look up the NPC on project 1999 wiki. If you're a druid or a ranger your trainer will be at Surefall glade, this zone is next to North Qeynos hills and Northern Commonlands, through a tunnel at the opposite end of the zone, just follow the path stright.

If you have to walk to Surefall Glade there will be skeletons on the road sometimes and it is good to have to upperhand when you're alone. If you did grind to lvl 2 or 3 you should have enough money for a few spells as well, learnable spells appear as scrolls on the vendor interface, you can right click to see what the prerequisites are. the ussually appear as Druid(5) Ranger(19) that means that if you're a druid you can use the spell at level 5 and if you're a ranger you can use the spell at level 19.

2. How not to Die
Dying is an inevidible part of the world of Norrath, you will be dying a lot at first but this area of the guide is here to help you both die less and help you restore your character to normal after dying.

2.1 Grouping
You can likeley make it to level 5 on your own but after that you might consider grouping with other players. This is what makes or breaks the game, you WILL get bored fast if you don't have fun people to go on adventures with and it will be harder to recover your body when you die without a group. This is what makes or breaks the game for many people, if you don't group you are missing out.

2.2 always /con check before you fight.
Lots of monsters share the same model, right clicking your target will tell you if it's a fair fight. Sometimes high level creatures wander into low level zones. I had an incidident with a skeleton once, right click or die.

2.3 Always Remember to Buff
If you don't buff you will die, unlike more modern games where buffs are psedo-optional, you WILL notice an enormous differance when you are buffed with your own spells and others.

2.4 Death
You will die....a lot, when you die you lose all your gear and all your spells are deleted off the spell bar (remember when I told you to save your spell list?) right click your spell book, click load spell list and load the spell list you saved. Loot everything off your body and you are as good as new give or take a few xp. Don't leave stuff on your body, it will not dissapear if you leave anything on it.

3.That book in your inventory.
It's for PVP if your new I would not advise using it, just destroy it. If another player kills you you will lose money and sometimes gear. if you want to pvp give the book the the local preist of discord he is in front of you when you log in for the first time.

3.1 about dropping/destroying items
some items are no-drop, no-sell, no-trade *like your first weapon* once you outgrow an item like this go to your character screen ("I"), click the destroy button, click the item then confirm and ta-da! it's gone.

3.2 Giving Items to NPC's
You can give an item to an NPC by clicking the item and then dragging it over the desired NPC and clicking the NPC, an interface will pop up with the item you are going to give to them hit the "give" button.

4. The Wilderness/Open ended nature of the game.
You are now ready to make your own adventures, you can do whatever you want, you don't have quests to tell you what you do, you make your own adventures! find caves to explore and mysterious creatures to kill. it's all up to you. At about lvl 5-15 you can explore the Qeynos Aquaducts or maybe Blackborrow, but be careful and take plenty of friends.

4.1 Conclusion
That's about it, if I think of anything else I was confused about when I joined I will add it. If you see any improvements I can make tell me, I tried to make this guide as universal as possible and in the simpilist most discriptive language I can, because most awnsers seemed so vauge to me. I hope you guys enjoy it and it helps you. I didn't mean to make this a guide but I guess that's what it turned out to be, hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting it in this section, I just want to help some people pampered by newer mmo's out.
Last edited by jval2529; 05-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Correcting misinformation, Grammar, Adding content
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Orc

Reserved for future use.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Kobold

you may want to fix the restriction part, there are class restrictions on some items but no level restrictions.

the only thing close to level restrictions is weapons that proc (have a spell that is cast on attack) won't proc till you reach a proper level
I'm trying to create something that will be optionally fun for the server, something for level 50's to do when your not busy shitting in your socks.
Greeting Starfighter, you have been recruited by the Starleague to defend the frontier against Zurr and the Codan armada.

Baas rutten, Monk

Realena peacecraft, monk of cazic thule server.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyaku [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you may want to fix the restriction part, there are class restrictions on some items but no level restrictions.

the only thing close to level restrictions is weapons that proc (have a spell that is cast on attack) won't proc till you reach a proper level
thank you, I fixed it along with some other grammer errors.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Nice guide. One thing I would change is that this line:

Quote:
If you REALLY want to quest you probably want to look up the quests on p99 wiki, they are catagorized by zone, but you are better off grinding
There are several quests that will give far more XP than grinding will. Crushbone belts/pads, bone chips, gnoll teeth, etc. The low levels are awful and these quests help get you out of them in short order.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Giving your note to your GM can have very little positive consequence and very bad negative faction hits, depending on your race/class combo. I would say never hand in your note unless you know exactly what you're doing.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Giving your note to your GM can have very little positive consequence and very bad negative faction hits, depending on your race/class combo. I would say never hand in your note unless you know exactly what you're doing.
I didn't know that, like I said I'm new to the game and I'm only posting what I know. I will be sure to change that.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
7)Making Money
There are several ways to make money, one of the best ways is to sell bonechips (necromancers of all levels need them) A single stack will earn you 3 plat, which is a lot for a low level character. Other then that just vendor all stuff you can't use.

you can get 10p per stack easy
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Hey jval -

Your best bet for keeping this accessible is to maintain it on the wiki. I have created the page for you and linked it in the guides section.
Jval2529's Guide for People Coming from Modern MMOs

Also, you should probably review the information in the other guides found here just to be sure you aren't giving conflicting information or re-posting info that's already been added to the wiki. You'll see the link to your guide at the bottom of the list under the hunting/leveling guide section.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Aviak

Nice newbie write up. Just a couple things:

1.5) A Quick note on gear
There are no level restrictions restrictions on gear, if you find it wear it if you find an upgrade wear that. Although there ARE class restrictions, the only thing close to a level ristriction are magic weapons that proc when they hit, these will not proc until that specific weapon skill is high enough

Actually this is "until your lvl is high enough" for instance on a Gnoll Hide Lariat the stun proc won't work untill lvl 25. It will still proc, but you get a message that says "you are not a high enough lvl to control this item" or some such.

7)Making Money
There are several ways to make money, one of the best ways is to sell bonechips (necromancers of all levels need them) A single stack will earn you 3 plat, which is a lot for a low level character. Other then that just vendor all stuff you can't use.

I guess this depends on where you are, but bone chips usually sell for about 10p for a stack of 20 around East Commons.

Heh...Vendar beat me to this as I was typing ).
Human Shadowknight
Oddkin
Darkelf Necromancer
Closed Thread