Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Default Staff of Forbidden Rites merchant buy-back price

For the record, I'm against recharging, but with it being implemented I have found some evidence on the Staff of Forbidden Rites that should have a much cheaper recharge price.

For starters, as some may know, the insanely high price which we see on P99 was an out-of-era fix in the 10/16/2002 patch:
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20021016.html
Quote:
Merchants now highly value the Staff of Forbidden Rites and will only sell them at an extremely high price.
There is surprisingly little info on what the accurate in-era price should be, but we know it was being recharged and thus the nerf. I believe we're using 256k or so (per staff?) on P99, which I cannot see anyone doing in era.

This is the only real piece evidence I have found, but would welcome more:
http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthr...ic-eq-question
Quote:
6/20/2002:
"Do you know how much it costs to buy back most of the charged items you sell to vendors? "

Yes:
Staff of Forbiden Rites: to recharge ONE : 22k
Locket of escape: to recharge ONE locket: 43k pp

not cheep.

7/14/2002:
Unfortunately this trick has become far too common knowledge for Verant to ignore, hence the high prices on items. The rez stick used to be around 4500pp per stick to recharge, and the locket was less than 1k I believe.

Bastages
I am unsure of the recharge language about recharging ONE. Does that mean since you started with a fully charged item, you spent the 22k to buy both the original staff back and the recharged staff, thus getting ONE recharged staff? Or are they saying 22k per buyback?

Judging by the cost of the locket of escape (43k) I found this post on the locket of escape:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1163
Quote:
Sep 04 2002
the price used to be much lower but it was nerfed and it now sells it back for 22k with the recharge trick.
So basically each Bind costs 44k
Quote:
May 21 2002
locket of escape for 40k is the nerfed one that has unlimited charges i beleive, they changed to one charge that cannot be recharged,but i can be wrong /shrug
So, I gather the 43k recharge post from the ShowEQ net forum was for TWO lockets as that info was corroborated in other posts (this also gives me confidence in the Staff of Forbidden Rites figure). That leads me to believe merchant buyback on Staff of Forbidden Rites should be 11k.

Interesting to also see these prices on staff / locket were potentially raised during Luclin, so potentially should be using the 4500p per rez stick and <1k on locket. I'm guessing more research would be needed into that field, perhaps some recharge junkies can contribute to that.

Finally, I'm not sure if Staff of Forbidden Rites is even dropping anymore after reading this post:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...orbidden+rites
Quote:
Thinking Velious release for their removal, unless a better date is found.
I have seen lots of mentions of late velious / early Luclin drops, so think it should be dropping on P99 for it's entirety.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tuna...tes-t1071.html
Quote:
December 21st, 2001, 9:53 pm #2
1) Now a days its usualy random, usualy they went to clerics way back.
2) I've never actually heard them dropping off Gorenaire, BUT they originally dropped off Lady Vox (and still do).
Quote:
December 28th, 2001, 11:58 am #10
Rag,

I just recently had a SFR drop at Vox. I randomed it between all healing classes. As far as I am concerned it should always be randomed between clerics, shamans, and druids. A cleric won it on that raid.
Quote:
December 28th, 2001, 6:56 pm #11
revised questions:

1) What is the drop rate of this item off of lady vox (common, umcommon, rare, ratio?)
Quote:
January 2nd, 2002, 4:34 pm #13
1: uncommon, maybe one in three or four voxes
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5466&page=4
7/25/2001
Quote:
Well, just completed my first ever Vox raid. Needless to say, I lost my virginity to Vox raids tonight. Took about 4 hours of prep time, but we killed her on our first attempt. It was the leaders first dragon raid, a paladin by the name of Foleen. No scales or books droped, but a Tobrin's Eyepatch did, along with a Dragon Bone Bracelet, Runed Bolster Belt, and a Staff of Forbidden Rites. Unfortunately, I lost the roll on the eyepatch, but all in all I had a fun time meeting new people and actually seeing Vox.
I think I also linked an October drop in my Comprehensive Drop History of Norrathian Raid Mobs thread.

In any event, thanks for your consideration.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Kobold

Of course it was cheaper :P One of the few items back then that people actually *did* recharge. My GL (monk) would routinely rez mages at PoM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

bump

if we have 7 hour Lucan respawns then I see no reason for this to be using Luclin era buyback prices.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Planar Protector

bump using Mac server buybacks prices just doesn't jive with a server emulating a period awhile before that ones. Yes it is very powerful but it's extremely classic. See that furor post from a year or two back about him CRing a whole raid force in plane of hate it was a common tactic for uber guilds at the time. While I have no idea the actual buyback price in era it must have been affordable especially considering how little plat was in circulation vs p99 today.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:59 PM
Orc

I was always curious how this worked on live. Our guild used it a lot in Luclin era. There was a rogue exploit that you could pull players through a certain wall in VT and basically skip about 5 hours worth of clearing. I don't see quite as many extreme cases to be made during Velius, but I imagine with the extreme plat wealth, the item is still pretty much priceless.