Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Kobold

Default SK vs Pally

I am really struggling to find a main toon on p99, firstly I have tried the classes I played back on live, necro and bard got them to the high teens and decided to reroll, I am currently leveling a sk (about to ding 9) but in the back of my mind I am wondering if I should have rolled a pally instead.

I want to tank thats what I have done since I left eqlive many many moons ago but really do not know which way to go. pally or sk ?

Can a pally join a group as a healer(just trying to put their heals in to perspective) ? Are pallies in high demand at 60 and end game raiding ? The main draw for the SK was FD and the fact I could roll a iksar, pally races kinda suck arse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

any input would be great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

SKs get a lot more tools and utility spells than a Paladin. It's important to know that the Paladins spell line is extremely bland, especially at the mid-level range. Be prepared to go 30+ levels and get nothing besides slightly better heals and buffs.

With that said, Paladins get what's coming to them. You're the best of both worlds, a tank AND a pretty competent healer. I mean, from levels 39 to 52, a Paladin can heal equal to a Druid or Shaman. Not to mention at 45, you get a ~6-second-cast, 100-point free heal with Deepwater Helm. Harm Touch doesn't hold a candle to Lay on Hands. At 57, you get Superior Healing (a 600-point heal), and at 59, you get a 90% rez . You get some amazing Cleric buffs along the way, a shitloads of stuns, root, lulls, and a very easy epic compared to SKs.

At the end of the day, though.. It's always better to play whatever you think looks the coolest.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Kobold

yeah true but I just added luclin skins and the pallies races look nice, hate what they did to the eruides forehead tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Paladin does not heal equal to Druid or Shaman. Best heal spell does the same amount of healing with the same cast time, yes, but in all other ways hybrid is inferior to real caster:

1) no specialization, cheaper spells give the same net effect as deeper mana pool PLUS faster mana regen
2) lower meditate skillcap give slower mana regen
3) gearing as a deep mana pool caster like a druid will make you a shit paladin, and your effective mana pool + regen will still be quite noticeably inferior
4) druid and shaman both get regen buffs that paladin cannot duplicate (another 100hp/minute at very low mana cost does indeed matter in a long xp group grind)
5) shaman slows and canni allow them to laugh with infinite merriment at the notion of hybrid healing matching them

Deepwater Helm used to heal limits you to the weak ac/hp buff it casts. Standing still doing nothing for 10 seconds is not free, you give up 1-2/3 ticks of meditation mana regen. Cheap != free.

Paladin is a lot of fun to play, and makes a damned good group tank, but it cannot match the priest classes as a healer.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bunch of stuff that I didn't have to type.
Thanks, as soon as I read that line I thought "I hope somebody else pointed out how very wrong that statement is."
Old 10-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

All that stuff is pretty "duh."

All that you did was cherry-pick a sentence out of a post, take the most literal possible interpretation of it, remove the context, and knock down the straw man.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All that stuff is pretty "duh."

All that you did was cherry-pick a sentence out of a post, take the most literal possible interpretation of it, remove the context, and knock down the straw man.
Quote:
You're the best of both worlds, a tank AND a pretty competent healer. I mean, from levels 39 to 52, a Paladin can heal equal to a Druid or Shaman.
Yeah, sorry, but there is no context in which that statement is true.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

I was just saying that Paladins have the same best healing spell as Druids and Shamans. I see how I worded it in a confusing way though.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Kobold

Paladin is enchanters best friend
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

I always preferred paladins for the loh, so nice to have in every single situation
Closed Thread