Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't work for Paladins. Erollisi Marr, Rodcet Nife, and Karana imbues work out decent for Cleric (wis primary). Rallos Zek imbue works for Warrior (str primary, sta secondary), but you can't be a Rallos Paladin. Mithaniel Marr appears to work for Paladin, until you notice that it requires imbued diamond, simply not worth the cost.
The secondary stats for EM and RN are CHA and STA respectively. Neither of which are useless for pallies.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Sarnak

Paladins need HP, AC, Mana - nothing else matters. Str does not matter at level 60, you will not be encumbered even as a high elf. You shouldn't face encumbrance issues beyond level 20 or 25 as you start getting gear and buying WR bags.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by williestargell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins need HP, AC, Mana - nothing else matters. Str does not matter at level 60, you will not be encumbered even as a high elf. You shouldn't face encumbrance issues beyond level 20 or 25 as you start getting gear and buying WR bags.
Half-Elves have better STA, AGI and DEX as well. An extra heal in your mana bar or an extra 3 stuns in your mana bar isn't worth going through 50-55 levels permanently encumbered, likely causing several deaths due to your inability to flee quickly.

Without having to try to get enough AGI or STA to hit soft caps is nice as a half elf as just standard gear gets you there. Plus a decent amount of paladin gear will give you wisdom anyways.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The secondary stats for EM and RN are CHA and STA respectively. Neither of which are useless for pallies.
WIS (primary on both) is actually very weak for a paladin. Mana regen (which you can't improve unless you get buffed or sit down) matters a lot but size of manapool doesn't matter much. Unlike a Cleric or an Enchanter the depth of a Paladin's manapool is not decisive for your group surviving a nasty overpull. CHA is even weaker, you don't paci pull often and its only value is reducing risk of critical fail on that. A little bit of STA isn't enough to make the armor worth the price for a Paladin.

You can do better cheaper, unless it's an RP thing there's no point in human cultural for a paladin. But if you really want to spend the pp, I'll be happy to sell you a suit.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Fire Giant

Mana pool is completely unnecessary on Blue for a Paladin. Stun and Holy Might only cost 35 and 60 mana, respectively. They are very low mana cost for how effective they are. Root is also very low mana. You are really only worried about healing yourself most of the time, unless you need to get someone else in a pinch. When its an "oh shit" pull, thats what Lay on Hands is for, and on the right party member it will completely change the tide of battle. STA, DEX, and STR are the chief stats for a Paladin.

CHA is nice but secondary, you can wear a ton of Star Ruby jewelry for DEX/CHA increases when you need it (also Fennin Ro gear if you can get it) If you're a good Paladin you will be using Calm pulls quite often.

Dwarf has low CHA, but is quickly made up when you throw on the proper gear for Calm pulls. Dwarf does have the highest starting point totals for the most important stats, and when I rolled I realized that a class that already has lower skill point caps than non-Hybrids would benefit greatly from high base stats. Nature's Defender is nice, but its not quite as good as the Epic.

It seems that theres a lot of hot air around about Paladin strengths and weaknesses, and lots of wrong opinions. Its funny because its by far the least played class on the server, and not because its "weak" and carries an XP penalty, but because you can't rely solely on expensive gear and auto-attack to be effective.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Banned

p sure you can't bash with nature's defender
Old 09-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
p sure you can't bash with nature's defender
This is basically the only reason to get the epic. Against non casters though, ND is boss. That 45 AC is hot.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're a good Paladin you will be using Calm pulls quite often.
Let me introduce you to Project 1999, where you can't take 3 steps in any dungeon without tripping over 16 iksar monks, 14 of whom are twinked with a fungi tunic, all of whom are expecting to pull.

Let me introduce you to Project 1999, where 9 out of 10 dungeon groups are so overgeared that they get angry if the next pull isn't started while there are still at least two mobs in camp.

Once in a while I'll paci-pull to make it easier to break a particularly ugly looking camp. "Quite often" has a far different meaning from "once in a while" in my lexicon.

On live I paci-pulled a ton, and hated it when I out-levelled the usefulness of Pacify and could no longer pull for my group. Here? People don't usually have the patience to wait for Harmony and that's multi-target so only one spell cast, waiting for pacify to refresh will drive the munchkins into an ADHD-fuelled raging revolt.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

I will confirm I don't have the patience for single pulls. Mainly because of the reasons you state. People are so overgeared, there isn't any reason for it.

Also for the reason that root and mez can easily be utilized to CC mobs. Being an enchanter in a group that only pulls singles or doubles is so damn boring. Even being a rooting class it is boring getting single pulls.

Come Velious when mobs hit a lot harder, less can be mezzed, etc... Pulling will be more important. But currently on this server, single pulling is such a time waster unless you're doing something like single pulling Overking or Queen in Chardok without clearing the room.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half-Elf. Tunare.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

/thread
Yeah that's a really good weapon, it's a shame Erudites get nothing similar when Odus gets revamped.
Closed Thread