Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Planar Protector

Default SK ... ogre vs SK

Damn ... title should have read Ogre vs Troll.

Those of you who have made the hard choice, what choice and why?

Regen?
FSI?
Better stats?
Not being ogre?

Pros and cons, discuss. I have a level 1 ogre sk ... but part of me wants a troll.

I know that the best min/max is ogre, i just want personal opinions from others why they chose what they chose. Part of me wants a pretty dark elf, but the terrible starting stats and lack of slam is off-putting. At this point, however, not having an xp penalty at all is enticing.

Discuss!
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 10-17-2015 at 07:16 AM..
Old 10-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Sarnak

There are many good reasons why people choose their SK. Some like the regeneration, frontal stun immunity, higher intelligence, higher stamina, green skin, scales, Greenmist or whatever floats their fancy. I personally like the versatility of humans, and hell I even spec'd dex. Do what you like, if you prefer to view your SK as a dark elf, pick your drow.

If I ever re-rolled my shadow knight, I'd go dark elf just for aesthetics, regardless of pros or cons. Roll what you will be happy with.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaleth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I ever re-rolled my shadow knight, I'd go dark elf just for aesthetics, regardless of pros or cons. Roll what you will be happy with.
I appreciate the input [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Planar Protector

If I was picking between Ogre and Troll I'd pick Troll every time. That regeneration would be nice when I find myself feigned somewhere at low health, while in more than four years of playing my SK I can't recollect encountering a situation where being stunned from a bash made any significant difference (oh no, I re-cast a spell, big deal). Large races start out with better stats--a legitimate advantage--but in the long run gear can eventually make up for most of that as well. The experience penalties carried by the large races mean that a level 53 Dark Elf is still stronger as a tank than the level 51 Troll for the same number of hours invested in the character.

Of course I'm not a Troll, I'm a Human, so I don't get either of those benefits. In the end it doesn't matter overmuch. My SK (its named Andoric, I think you know him) still does everything I reasonably expect it to do. Dark elves would give fine service as well. Pick the race you like because if you don't you won't like the character anyway.

Danth
Old 10-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Kobold

As a 60 DE SK I have always regretted not rolling ogre. Frontal stun immunity trumps all while raiding. Mana + gear for high end SKS are easy to obtain STA+ HP is not.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a 60 DE SK I have always regretted not rolling ogre. Frontal stun immunity trumps all while raiding. Mana + gear for high end SKS are easy to obtain STA+ HP is not.
On live i play a dark elf sk strickly for the looks. I love dark elf. I love dark elf lore all that shit.

But min maxing, i love good ole fattyfatty, that stamina bonus is so nice, frontal stun. Slam when im using 1handers.

Even the facial features of ogres just crack me up. Now with velious there are a lot more stamina/hp options out there..

In the end this is a character you be looking at and shit, so it might as well come down to what you find more appealing.

Once you get your agro in that mob getting stunned once during a cast isnt going to fuck you over that bad.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Aviak

My advice, does the world really need about ogre or troll tank? Live a little a little. Boldly be something else. Skill matters more than anything. Play a dark elf or erudite. You might actually like casting several spells instead of being hampered by stupidity (lack of int).
Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Sarnak

Well considering you already have a troll alt shaman, why not ogre for variety?
Ssepticbank - Trader <Azure Guard>
Old 10-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Sarnak

ogre. stun resist plus fd/tap are really imperative. ogres have better stats. the troll regen is alright, but high lvls its not noticable. also trolls have -25 fire resist, which is a total killer. for this reason, and that iksar get ac bonus and a racial epic, the iksar is better than a troll, even.

ogre.