Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Play a class you want to play regardless of timeline challenges. If people only played classes ideal for the early classic rush (ie race leveling to lock down guise and manastone) we’ll have a server full of nothing but mages, necros, and enchanters with an honorable mention to druids and.

Raw melee and hybrids will be unattractive at first but nevertheless necessary in later classic and beyond.

If I play green at all on launch I’ll likely (90%) play a class I haven’t leveled on blue. I may even do the crazy thing of going ranger first ��. 10% chance I’ll launch off with bard/mage/warrior
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Between those 4 (Druid, Cleric, Warrior, Mage) which would you choose and why?
Mage, because you already played Druid enough and need to experience this class at its most powerful.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 PM
Kobold

I would choose a:

- Warrior if I wanted to keep this character as my main through Velious. Make a name for yourself early while tanks and melee are at a premium. You'll struggle with agro until you get some good proc weapons, but you're the only tank without an exp penalty, so groups are going to pick you over all the other tanks anyways.

- Cleric for similar reasons as Warrior. You might have a harder time finding groups, because player congestion will be so high, and you only really need one healer. If you stick to undead dungeons, you could function decently as a dps as well. If you have any intention of raiding, you'll be able to choose any guild you want as a Cleric.

- Magician because you're a God in vanilla. Without any twinks running around, you get to be the top group dps in the game, outside of a charmed pet. Every group is going to want a Magician (or three!) in their group to melt things down. For the first few months you might legitimately have an easier time finding a group than any other class. It comes at a price though, because your raid role sucks, and you'll likely never see your epic, even if you keep this as your main through Velious.

- Druid if you want a guise. There's going to be a lot of Druids, so finding groups could be pretty hit and miss. Due to gear quality, evac is going to be a much bigger factor on Green than it is on Blue, so having a druid or wizard in the group to save the day might be pretty handy. Due to likely congestion issues, the ability to solo won't help you much, so I wouldn't factor that into your decision for any class in vanilla. Because of the popularity of the Druid class in general, I also wouldn't count on much money for porting until Kunark. A great choice if you just love the class, or plan to re-roll later on.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

- Druid if you want a guise. There's going to be a lot of Druids, so finding groups could be pretty hit and miss. Due to gear quality, evac is going to be a much bigger factor on Green than it is on Blue, so having a druid or wizard in the group to save the day might be pretty handy. Due to likely congestion issues, the ability to solo won't help you much, so I wouldn't factor that into your decision for any class in vanilla. Because of the popularity of the Druid class in general, I also wouldn't count on much money for porting until Kunark. A great choice if you just love the class, or plan to re-roll later on.
Yeah, that druid port money is gonna be small. People aren't gonna be ballin outta control like they are on Blue server. Porting for tips is gonna be a lot of 5-10p donations, probably even into Kunark. Best moneymaking will prob be like a mage or necro that can farm HGs or seafuries early on.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

The server will be absolutely overflowing with Mages for the first several months. Years' worth of cheap Kunark and Velious weapons have made people forget how bad melee DPS is in classic (i.e. Yaks are 8/24 and level 50 Monk fists are 14/30). But Mage pets absolutely shred from 1-50. And unlike Necros whose best spells are all Research only, Mages always have at least one vendor sold pet at every new spell level. Further, they need literally zero gear to level all the way to 50, and to top it off they are the premier class for early plat farming (guards, Giants, etc). So I'm literally anticipating fully a quarter of the server being Mages early on, with probably another 25% being Necros and Druids. That being said, I will probably roll a Monk, and I encourage others to roll a more challenging starting class as well, because EQ is best enjoyed when you're really struggling and forced to rely on your fellow players.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server will be absolutely overflowing with Mages for the first several months. Years' worth of cheap Kunark and Velious weapons have made people forget how bad melee DPS is in classic (i.e. Yaks are 8/24 and level 50 Monk fists are 14/30). But Mage pets absolutely shred from 1-50. And unlike Necros whose best spells are all Research only, Mages always have at least one vendor sold pet at every new spell level. Further, they need literally zero gear to level all the way to 50, and to top it off they are the premier class for early plat farming (guards, Giants, etc). So I'm literally anticipating fully a quarter of the server being Mages early on, with probably another 25% being Necros and Druids. That being said, I will probably roll a Monk, and I encourage others to roll a more challenging starting class as well, because EQ is best enjoyed when you're really struggling and forced to rely on your fellow players.
If I roll a character on green (probably won't) ima be a ranger. A melee with harmony and sow just sounds fun to play. I love my druids kit, and having a weaker druid functionality together with a melee class sounds like a good time to me.

Also, rangers with guise would look rad with epic later on.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Im leaning towards cleric at the moment, but I radically change my opinion often on this one.

But cleric human could be fun, or erudite, and you could get that mask that turns you into a skeleton (for a few months until its nerfed?) which could be fun, but its not that much of a selling point to me.

A cleric at level 50 can farm some of the camps in lguk which is fun to do while you wait for a group.

Idk could be fun. I bet the raiding on green is actually going to be totally fun so it might be fun to get deep into that aspect of green too.

If you word clouded this post it'd be fun>cleric

So maybe yeah, cleric?
Old 08-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

Will there be kedge crawls on green? I remember enjoying them in the past.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I roll a character on green (probably won't) ima be a ranger. A melee with harmony and sow just sounds fun to play. I love my druids kit, and having a weaker druid functionality together with a melee class sounds like a good time to me.

Also, rangers with guise would look rad with epic later on.
Theory questing a ranger is classic AF. In practice tho....
Old 08-31-2019, 04:31 PM
Sarnak

Lovely thread.

For OP's question: I guess I'd recommend a Cleric. But if you really like the Druid I'd go with that, since it's by far the most well-rounded class.

I see myself rolling a Gnome.

And he'll probably be a Warrior, aiming for double yaks.

And rubicite perhaps.

But when I think of the challenge of a warrior, and how much I like soloing and the ability to run if things go bad when solo...

I'm very likely to roll
Wizard or Necro or Mage.

In that order.

Barring those: a Human Druid or Cleric.

I'd go with Enchanter, but that's my main on Blue. But then again I feel so weak on any other character I can see myself going Ench again. My only other above 10 is a fairly twinked SK, and he feels so weak compared to my Chanter, and he leveled in the lowliest of gear.
Last edited by GnomeCaptain; 08-31-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Closed Thread