Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Kobold

Default Some other noob questions

Hi all!

I'm new to Everquest and have never played it before. I keep hearing good things about the classic game so I decided to try it out. I've been reading up on the game and the server but still have a few questions:

*I don't know anyone personally who plays EQ. What is the easiest way to find groups in the game?
*Is it a good idea to just jump into playing a hard class without any money or items or is it better to make a solo/farming character first?
*If a new player like me plays around 3-4 hours a day, around how long would it take to get to level 60, generally speaking?
*Besides being an Enchanter, is there any way to gain the appearance of another race?
*Is it possible to petition to get a name freed up if its no longer in use?
*Around when is Velious coming out? Is it something I should plan for or will it not be until much later?
*What is going to happen to the server after Velious comes out? Any MMO eventually becomes boring without new content. I'm wondering if playing may ultimately be a waste of time if everything withers away in a year or whenever. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*A lot of the screenshots of endgame Monks I see are holding goofy weapons like batons. Is it possible to play a Monk without being obligated at endgame to hold those goofy-looking weapons?
*What class is in the most demand for groups at the moment?

Oh, and one other question: I'm a gay person and reserved the name "Lesbian". Is this an okay name to have, or is it going to get me banned? Just curious. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

1.5/10
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi all!

I'm new to Everquest and have never played it before. I keep hearing good things about the classic game so I decided to try it out. I've been reading up on the game and the server but still have a few questions:

*I don't know anyone personally who plays EQ. What is the easiest way to find groups in the game?

/who all class bottomlevelrange toplevelrange
Examples
/who all druid 11 23 (searches for druids 11-23)
Other than that, join a starter guild and stick to populous zones.

*Is it a good idea to just jump into playing a hard class without any money or items or is it better to make a solo/farming character first?

Depends what you mean by hard class, item dependent, or challenging. Either can be done but you might catch flak from group members early on, ask them what you should be doing instead or /who all yourclass and ask a higher level.

*If a new player like me plays around 3-4 hours a day, around how long would it take to get to level 60, generally speaking?

Depends on your playstyle, a hardcore grinder could get to 60 on that schedule in maybe a month, less? Chances are you'll play more as you get into it, but some people never reach 60 because there is so much else to do.

*Besides being an Enchanter, is there any way to gain the appearance of another race?

Rogue illusion masks, cleric quest masks (not a reliable method), GMs sometimes show up and morph you into all kindsa things for fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Drawing a blank but there are other ways...

Doubtful.

*Around when is Velious coming out? Is it something I should plan for or will it not be until much later?

If you find the answer to that, you are the prophet we have dreamed of.

*What is going to happen to the server after Velious comes out? Any MMO eventually becomes boring without new content. I'm wondering if playing may ultimately be a waste of time if everything withers away in a year or whenever. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Its the journey, not the destination, you will not regret the time played here regardless of the outcome.

*A lot of the screenshots of endgame Monks I see are holding goofy weapons like batons. Is it possible to play a Monk without being obligated at endgame to hold those goofy-looking weapons?

Depends on your goals, those could be high end uber raid items in which case very difficult to obtain, but iirc most velious content was pretty vanilla, staffs and sceptres.

Rogues, chanters, clerics, warriors, shamans, monks will always be in high demand at all levels. Once again I may have forgotten something.

Oh, and one other question: I'm a gay person and reserved the name "Lesbian". Is this an okay name to have, or is it going to get me banned? Just curious. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It could be deemed offensive, or not, there are some pretty questionable names at high level so its really up to the staff. If you can convince them the name has a reasonable subtext you can probably keep it. Diplomacy.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaidh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1.5/10
Don't critique my Jazz Hands.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Fire Giant

Meh I'm sure it'll help someone =)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi all!

/who all LFG or use a level range.

Doesn't matter on this server, groups can be easy to find and soloing is just as easy. Whatever you want really.

A lot longer then the last response of a month (LOL @ that) at the given amount of time, I'd say about 6months for a new player, at the very least.

Items, there's no other class that does that outside of enchanter.

No.

Nobody knows.

playing any game is a waste of time... not sure what you're asking.

Yes.

There's none. Play what you want. Tanks/Healers are need as a core, anything else goes. Also the server is saturated with monks right now.

*Oh, and one other question: I'm a gay person and reserved the name "Lesbian". Is this an okay name to have, or is it going to get me banned? Just curious. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Doubt it, unless someone complains to a GM, you're probably safe. not sure we need to know your sexual preference though !

My replies in Bold

Game isn't hard strategy wise. deaths sucks, traveling takes time. people cheat, sell RMT and end game raiding is sketchy as fuck. Outside of the few faults, the server is pretty good.
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaidh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1.5/10
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

Never played EQ

Knows EQ lingo
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never played EQ

Knows EQ lingo

LOL or maybe, just maybe, someone did their homework before they joined the server. I know it's probably over your head, but some people are intelligent.
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Closed Thread