Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Aviak

Default Leveling

How long does it take to level to 60?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:28 AM
Planar Protector

A long time, enjoy the journey! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM
Sarnak

Very long
Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Aviak

It took me years on live.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Kobold

Depends on how hard-core you are, and how well you know/have studied for the path you are going to take. You can do it in months if you play a lot (no life), manage to get in groups where the exp flows. Problem is if you just do leveling, you will have no plat for gear, so you might need to rely on handouts/beg for items. Of-course if you somehow managed to get ton of plat (i dont want to know how), you can get P-level to as high as you want, and prolly be able to gear yourself at EC. Doing it on the straight and narrow, it might take you a year to get to 60.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Just wanted to get some solid (though rough) numbers out in this thread. First, let's assume you're not an AoE kiting bard (they level faster than anyone else). Say you're leveling up as a player that groups rather than solos (soloing efficiency varies wildly per class). In an EXP group going at a good pace, you'll get about one yellow bubble an hour during non-hell levels; that's a level every five hours. During hell levels (30, 35, 40, 45, 51-59) that speed is halved, and during double-hell levels (54, 59) it's quartered.

Doing some (again, very rough) calculation, and starting at level 2 since level 1 is much faster than the other levels, we get an estimate of 375 hours of play, or about 16 straight days of play. This number is actually conservative since it assumes that you'll be spending all of your playtime actually EXPing in actually efficient groups; you'll actually be spending a lot of time looking for or forming groups, running from place to place, trading/whatever, so a more realistic estimate would be 25 straight days or so.

A soloing character, generally speaking, levels faster than a grouping character. Assuming you're non-twinked, I'm talking specifically about the following classes: wizard, druid, bard, magician, enchanter, necromancer, shaman. Also, to some extent monk and shadowknight, although without gear they'll be slower. EXP efficiency varies wildly as a soloer depending on what class you are, like I said. A quad kiter (wizard or lazy druid) can do something like four or five hours a level once they can actually quad kite (wizards can't until level 29 without outside assistance). A charming class (enchanter, necromancer, or good druid) can probably do three hours a level (again, these numbers are extremely ballpark estimates). Other, slower methods (root-dotting as a shaman, root-dotting or fear kiting as a lazy necro, magician soloing) probably do about five hours a level. AoE kiting bards are the fastest and can do an hour a level in good circumstances, somewhat slower in bad circumstances (e.g. unlucky kites resulting in deaths, awkward level resulting in not much of value to pull, etc.), but AoE kiting comes with its own issues.

All of the above soloing commentary assumes non-hell levels, and many solo methods don't really work in the mid to high level 50s, at which point several of those classes will slow down. Also, a big benefit of soloing is that you don't have to wait for groups to form and you're not dependent on group members being competent. A downside is that it can get very boring soloing and you don't experience a lot of what makes EverQuest what it is. All that being said, for a competent soloing class, say a non-bard because bards are just not fair, I'd move that above ballpark figure of 25 straight says to something like 10-15 straight days.

---

Let me say that EverQuest is NOT only about being level 60; it's very much about the journey to 60 as well. Learn to savor that slow ride instead of impatiently waiting to hit 60.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Last edited by Estu; 08-29-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let me say that EverQuest is NOT only about being level 60; it's very much about the journey to 60 as well. Learn to savor that slow ride instead of impatiently waiting to hit 60.
Fully agree. EQ Classic is not like other MMOs where its all about getting to end game before the fun starts. Take your time, explore, socialize, and have fun.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

I leveled my first toon and ranger to 60 in 29 days of played time -- not bad at all. If I weren't a ranger, probably could have done it in 15 days? Enchanters, clerics and wizards all have cheater methods cause they can do chardok through a significant portion of a characters time played (56-60)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Fire Giant

Getting to 60 in EQ = getting to 100 in WoW + uber-geared.

The numbers are arbitrary.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecompte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I leveled my first toon and ranger to 60 in 29 days of played time -- not bad at all. If I weren't a ranger, probably could have done it in 15 days? Enchanters, clerics and wizards all have cheater methods cause they can do chardok through a significant portion of a characters time played (56-60)
Chardok is great EXP for sure. The problem is that it's in very high demand, so it often takes a long time to get a spot. Taking that into account, it's sometimes not so much faster than other methods.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Closed Thread