Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor
Smile Best Class/Race combo for complete EQ/MMORPG newbs

So a number of my friends are interested in trying this game out.

Some of these folks are completely new to MMORPGs in general. So I'm wondering, what's a decent race/class combo for utterly new people starting out?

I figured that good races would be easier than bad, and melee classes are generally easier to play mechanics wise, but can be largely unforgiving as time moves on. The hybrid exp penalty will probably be frustrating as well.

As far as casters go, supposedly Magician isn't that complicated. However, after that point things get fuzzy. I've been playing EQ for too long.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :-)
<The Second Sons> (former member of <Vesica Dei>, <Evoluxa>)

Green Server: Khargulkaronarr - Troll Shadowknight of Cazic Thule - <Asgard>, Mordwin - Human Paladin of Erollisi Marr

(Once Upon a Time: Alarik of the Brell Serilis server)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 PM
Aviak

That one that does all of the things.

That depends on what the intent is. Are you all going to be a static group that will be consistently leveling together? Come August 2nd (for blue), hybrid exp penalties won't matter. It could be later into Velious, as I'm not positive when exactly those were removed.

Magician is mind-numbingly simple. Summon pet, sic pet, wait, nuke. Throw damage shields on your party, summon mod rods when need be.

Rogue is very simple if you need dps. Hide/sneak is an easy concept to grasp, and hitting backstab every 10 seconds in combat is also mind-numbingly simple.

I would recommend you start in Freeport, or at least have easy access to it, that way you have easy access to the rest of the world. People don't often come Qeynos side, as it might be considered out of the way.

Those are things I can think of at the moment.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Kobold

Honestly, I would recommend them playing what appeals to them the most in the description. Back in 2000 shortly after the game came out, I decided to give it a go. I was also a complete RPG and of course MMO noob. I didn't have any fun at any class I chose because they were "recommended" for noobs. I didn't start having fun till I played what appealed to me...Monk.

Didn't matter the game was harder because I had zero anything, and couldn't figure out how to get groups for a while. I was having fun even if I could only kill something once every 5 or 6 minutes.

In my experience making it work based off what people WANT to play is always going to be more succesful in the long run than trying to make that perfect group combo.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Sarnak

Play whatever race appeals to you. It really wont matter much in the end. afterall its a game. Too many folks treat it like a vocation.
While there are more people In freeport starting in qeynos will give new players the most starting money. The rabid pelts quest(doable at level 5) are great xp and coin. Gnoll fangs are great xp and bandit sashes are tremendous xp and coin for a level 12ish toon. After that nearby North karana offers the chance at more coin with the Greater lightstone quest.You could very easily make 200-300 plat by level 15.
my 2cents worth
Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Planar Protector

Total MMO newbs, you say?

Best bet is probably Night Elf hunter, imo.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Total MMO newbs, you say?

Best bet is probably Night Elf hunter, imo.
Troll Hunter for 2 reasons:

1. Horde
2. Jahhh Mon
Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Closest thing I ever got these people to try MMO-wise was probably Marvel Heroes or Diablo 3.
<The Second Sons> (former member of <Vesica Dei>, <Evoluxa>)

Green Server: Khargulkaronarr - Troll Shadowknight of Cazic Thule - <Asgard>, Mordwin - Human Paladin of Erollisi Marr

(Once Upon a Time: Alarik of the Brell Serilis server)
Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'ld suggest things that are going to have some decent self sufficiency and also perform well in groups with mediocre gear. Which generally means any of the pure casters except cleric.

It's not that you can't level a warrior or something up from scratch, it's just way more of a hassle when you could be a necro with pets and CC and feign death and the ability to solo mobs that give xp. Or a druid with SoW and teleports and tracking and leather bucket seats.

Necros are druids are the two standouts in my mind, but they're all really in that same ballpark of being able to grind solo, move around the game world easily, and make great contributions to a group with just cloth and assorted bric a brac equipped.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Aviak

Magicians make fantastic starting characters. You learn how to control a pet, how to nuke, how to hold agro, and how and when to heal. You get to mess with tons of summons, do not rely on food, and only rely on malachite and lapis (is that a thing here?). They are extremely self reliant and are useful in groups with the variety of pets.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:50 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troll Hunter for 2 reasons:

1. Horde
2. Jahhh Mon
There is no reason for recommending this ^. Let's not deter people from the community. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, the original comment was that "Some of these folks are completely new to MMORPGs in general." and this was all of us at one point on classic EQ, which is what kept us coming back after all these years. No other MMORPG could compare to classic EQ, so if these people enjoy themselves, then we will have some great new members to Project 1999.

If they are just starting out, I would suggest they try out a few classes and see what type of play style they enjoy. Also, try to stick with races that have good starting areas like Qeynos or somewhere on Faydwer. Perhaps classes like necromancer, druid, cleric, enchanter, paladin, and magician would work due to lower down-time than some others.

Whatever way they go, they will find what they like. I have tried everything and I always come back to wizard. I like seeing those big numbers. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread