Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you sound intolerable here. and you're still here. need to be shown the way out?
Please stop posting these rants & flames in server chat.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk how I feel about this one bud. This wiki may turn p99 into live with people using overlays and shit idk... unavoidable sure, but it sure will ruin things quick if in the CORE wiki to p99 its telling new players how to basically MQ2 without MQ2 :/
Whoa! Let's not go all chicken little here: this is not even remotely close to MQ2 (although, for the record, 100% allowed-on-P99 log-reading map overlay systems do already exist).

All this is is a very basic convenience: instead of having to:
  1. go to an NPC's page
  2. check their loc
  3. click the link to their zone
  4. find the map
  5. move your finger along the map until you find approximately where on the map the NPC is

You can now just go to the NPC's page .. and see where your finger would have pointed, right there on the same page.

That's all. And even just to enable that someone has to go zone-by-zone and calculate the exact numbers to make all this possible, which means even this basic convenience is going to take awhile to "take over" (and any future "corruption" anyone might envision is a long ways off after that).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So while I should have been taking advantage of the generous XP bonus weekend, instead I found myself playing with a new wiki feature. The idea is simple: wouldn't it be nice if you could go to a mob's page and see a map of the mob's zone with a big red "X" indicating where the mob is.

Well, that idea is a reality ... sort of. I have it working for one zone, Eastern Wastes ... and even that zone I've only tested with a handful of NPCs on my own machine.

If anyone has time and could try checking some NPC pages of NPCs in that zone (just mouse over the "Show Map" link next to the loc to see it) and then report back any issues or problems, I'd appreciate it. If you do have problems, please report which browser you were using.

Also, I'd be curious to hear which zones people would like to have this feature implemented in next.

Finally, I wanted to mention a new page I added a little while ago; the Notable Updates page. I try not to pester the forum unless I need feedback or I make a really big change to the wiki, but myself and other wiki-editors make lots of great additions all the time.

Unfortunately it can be hard to find these changes on the wiki's Recent Changes page (in part because of all the Magelo edit), so hopefully this page can be a way for myself and anyone else who edits the wiki to let interested parties know of new additions.
Nicely done my man. Nicely done.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I like this feature.
Your description of how I find mobs is spot on and having the red x is only going to mean that I will be back to the game with less downtime.

edit: I'm sure the process of updating each map is tedious. Let me know if you want any help.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whoa! Let's not go all chicken little here: this is not even remotely close to MQ2 (although, for the record, 100% allowed-on-P99 log-reading map overlay systems do already exist).

All this is is a very basic convenience: instead of having to:
  1. go to an NPC's page
  2. check their loc
  3. click the link to their zone
  4. find the map
  5. move your finger along the map until you find approximately where on the map the NPC is

You can now just go to the NPC's page .. and see where your finger would have pointed, right there on the same page.

That's all. And even just to enable that someone has to go zone-by-zone and calculate the exact numbers to make all this possible, which means even this basic convenience is going to take awhile to "take over" (and any future "corruption" anyone might envision is a long ways off after that).
Yeah, idk, IMO most of the wiki is already spoiling a bit too much. Ive used it, but Ive also found out how to complete a quest without it, and I still remember tha tquest, and dont remember any of the ones I used the wiki for. I have some info that I have debated releasing to the public, but then I decided not to, because finding that info (on p99) is some of my most memorable moments in EQ and if someone just gave it to me, I wouldn't have those memories.

And like I said its inevitable. And its also inevitable that this data will turn into mq2 python coded transparent overlay software in more than 5 years from now, that everyone on p99 uses, I guarantee it.

My personal take is, this info is fine to publish online, but Id prefer it was on some wird website of your own, and didn't share a URL with the game, so some people can remain in the dark a bit more easily about all these spoilers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That's just my 2cp
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-05-2019 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

I also wonder if green99 should be like second quest zelda (on nes), where they change everything so we cant use the wiki, but then thats catagorically not classic, however the fact that nobody knows where anything is or how to do anything, suddenly is classic, so idk.

I'm a freak though.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauxe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
edit: I'm sure the process of updating each map is tedious. Let me know if you want any help.
I'm thinking of making it a wiki challenge for starting players (with a small plat reward). I'll post back with details later if I decide to go ahead, but in the meantime this page explains how to help:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Loc_Maps

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Loramin Oppenheimer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, idk, IMO most of the wiki is already spoiling a bit too much. Ive used it, but Ive also found out how to complete a quest without it, and I still remember tha tquest, and dont remember any of the ones I used the wiki for. I have some info that I have debated releasing to the public, but then I decided not to, because finding that info (on p99) is some of my most memorable moments in EQ and if someone just gave it to me, I wouldn't have those memories.

And like I said its inevitable. And its also inevitable that this data will turn into mq2 python coded transparent overlay software in more than 5 years from now, that everyone on p99 uses, I guarantee it.

My personal take is, this info is fine to publish online, but Id prefer it was on some wird website of your own, and didn't share a URL with the game, so some people can remain in the dark a bit more easily about all these spoilers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That's just my 2cp
Not everyone wants to play in the same way as you do. If you enjoy the game more w/o using the wiki, that's great! I, for one, really appreciate these new wiki features and will continue to use it extensively.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 PM
Planar Protector

May as well. It puts the layman closer to the playing field of the cheaters...

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Closed Thread