Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Fire Giant

Default Mage damage shield potentially adding threat to caster.

Any other mages out there find that our damage shield is adding to our threat? I haven't done any tests to see if the damage is counted as ours ( although I suspect that it is ), however I have noticed that when chaining a pet it takes quite some time for it to snap aggro.

When I don't cast damage shield, the pet picks up aggro right away. I've done some limiting testing so far and before I commit to a bunch of tests with logs etc I would like to see what other people's experiences are first.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Last edited by Balimon; 01-26-2020 at 12:35 PM..
Old 01-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

When your pet fights a mob, part of the hate it generates goes to you. When you kill the pet (or it dies), that hate on you remains, and your new pet has to beat your hate to taunt the mob off. Nothing to do with the DS.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:28 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying and invite you to test it yourself. Comparing my blue mage to green mage it's night and day. Even with whatever small hate I acrue generally a pet snaps aggro within a couple of seconds. On green (when using DS) it takes until a pet taunt or root, sometimes 15-20 seconds.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Planar Protector

As long as the mob doesn't have aggro on your pet and sees you cast the damage shield on it, your DS does not contribute any additonal hate towards you. it's purely neutral damage. I'm ot sure whats going on with getting aggro on chained pet ive seen mages complain about it on green, but your pet should be able to get aggro back in not to long as long s you ave done nothing else to make the mob hate you.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When your pet fights a mob, part of the hate it generates goes to you. When you kill the pet (or it dies), that hate on you remains, and your new pet has to beat your hate to taunt the mob off. Nothing to do with the DS.
This.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Fire Giant

I’ve seen some strange things on agro since coming back to green. For instance when I’m farming green trash I’ll pull stuff with tash (supposedly capped agro on pulling) and my pet will have to get the thing to like 30-40% health before it’ll turn on him.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve seen some strange things on agro since coming back to green. For instance when I’m farming green trash I’ll pull stuff with tash (supposedly capped agro on pulling) and my pet will have to get the thing to like 30-40% health before it’ll turn on him.
You are too near the mob after pet engages. make sure to run way from mob -- strafe run and try to run around corners if ina dungeon because mobs move slower around them. When you get more seperation from the mob you will fid that the pet pulls aggro much quicker. Also use your best haste...
Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Fire Giant

I appreciate the responses guys, but please understand that I do understand how pet aggro works. I'm having a buggy issue and looking for help not people regurgitating the same information.

/sigh, guess I'll have to just to do all the testing and do the bug report by myself then.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I appreciate the responses guys, but please understand that I do understand how pet aggro works. I'm having a buggy issue and looking for help not people regurgitating the same information.

/sigh, guess I'll have to just to do all the testing and do the bug report by myself then.
Hello all,

If I remember correctly from my previous life as a 75 MAG on the Rathe, any debuff spell (Malo, etc.) will land you a lot of aggro (more so when it gets resisted and you have to cast it a couple more times before it finally lands), and your pet might have to work for a bit before it gets first on the mob(s) hate list. I don't know whether damage caused by a pet transfers to you when it dies in case you're chain summoning though.

I'm only 13 atm on Blue having fun in Crushbone with DSed Water pet regularly engaging 3-4 mobs, and I've never had any mob make a beeline for me, even after using our lvl12 AoE (Column of Fire) once my pet has hit them/ caused a few DS hits.

So I would be tempted to say that DS damage sticks to your pet, but I'm not sure low level pets work as higher level ones do on p99.

Hope this helps,

Vaarsuvius
Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Orc

I was coming to start a Thread on this issue also. Something in one of the last 3 patches changed to where we get aggro from our pets even if we do no dmg to the mob. Sometimes if a pet casts a spell it picks up the mob quickly but most times the mob runs faster then the pet and we have to run around before the mob can hit it enough times to get aggro. This effectively has killed Mage solo and chain pet casting. Mages do not get any cc so this is a lame change whatever it is.

I did some brief testing and looks like if the 2nd pet comes soon after the first pet does some dmg and is sent away, the 2nd pet picks up mob right away. But if the pet does say 10sec or more of dmg on the mob, then it takes even more time for the pet to pick up the mob.

Anyone know if there was something in one of the patches on this or is this a bug?
Closed Thread