Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Banned

Depends on the scope of your goals and playstyle for your first character.

It looks like you're leaning towards melee. I'll break it down real quick for ya:

SK / Paladin are essentially equal in single group settings for non-raid / slowable content. Far easier to be effective on a tight budget than a warrior. Highly recommended if you want to tank in groups and are not super interested in end game stuff (guilds will still accept you and take you on any raid content, you just won't have a big role).

Monks are pullers first, dps second (can also tank in a pinch with slowable mobs). If you want to play a very active roll in your groups and want to be an important part of the high end raid scene, you've found your class. Can also solo on a budget if you're patient.

Rogues are straight up damage dealers and nothing more. Soloing is almost an impossibility without extreme twinking. They bring the biggest sustained damaged in the game, and the epic is incredibly cheap / easy to acquire. Highly sought after class, would recommend if you want a mechanically simple class that is good in all stages of the game at doing the big d*ck DPS.

Rangers are the weakest melee option. They can solo, though. A group will pretty much always take a monk or rogue before a ranger and this can be a problem along the XP superhighway if you play during peak times. However if you've read up on their kit and are certain its for you, you'll be fine.

Warriors are the end game tanking kings. They are suited for those with lots and lots of platinum / dedication to grind for high end gear. Certainly not recommended as a first class....but if you are sold on playing a warrior....I'd honestly recommend playing a Druid to 44 and porting people for money until you have enough money to properly equip your warrior.

Druid as a first character is never a bad idea unless you're 100% going Necro or Enchanter and know what you're doing. Druids have access to a wide variety of mechanics / playstyles, can travel easily, etc. A druid will never be as good as (insert class here) at doing (insert role here), but with some creativity and zone knowledge you'd be surprised how well they can do. I have a 53 druid I really enjoy playing (charming animals is great fun).
Old 02-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Aviak

I enjoyed your class descriptions kjs86z. I'm waiting for the next instalment with the rest of the classes.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Aviak

While I concur with all that you should enjoy the game how YOU want to enjoy it... there are some generic leveling paths that a high percentage of players use.

5-15 WC mobs, orc camp, derv camp / Crushbone
12-30 Unrest
23-35 Highkeep Goblins
25-42 Mistmoore / Sol A
40-50 City of Mist / Sol B

Mind you there are plenty of other options and you can tinker with the levels I put for each one... it's not perfect. I was able to go from 1-45 in about 45 days, so 1 lvl/day pace using bits of the path stated above. That seemed fast to me given this is my first p99 character, so I was pleased.

Again, it's all dependent on what you want and how you want to progress. Looking for fastest exping path? Looking for all group, no solo? All solo, no group? A mix? Wanting to make plat along the way or don't care? Looking for more adventure? Like questing? There's no one path...