Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

Default Melee damage cap from 10-19

edit - after doing a bit of digging on the forums, it appears that the wiki explanation of class-based damage caps is what's working on green. Also see https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=160 (the post apparently inspiring Haynar to do https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=160 ) and the link to code in that post.

I thought it was going to be 28, based on experience on blue (though iirc the cap isn't really a hard cap if you've got enough strength and a very high-damage weapon... but I don't remember exactly) and https://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Me...bat_and_Damage

But my two handed hammer, 13 damage, is only hitting for 24 max ever (118 strength) at levels 10-13 so far [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Are the wiki and my memory incorrect or what?

Err. I see now the separate damage caps per class type on the wiki. Is that a classic system or something that didn't get reverted for green?
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 10-30-2019 at 09:30 AM..
Old 10-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

It scales from 10-19, eventually capping at 28, iirc.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Planar Protector

The cap is 10dmg until level 10, 20dmg until level 20, 30dmg until level 30. It's been this way since forever.

This is base weapon damage, not actual damage.

In addition there is a small strength bonus component that can cause you to go a few points over the cap with a high strength value.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The cap is 10dmg until level 10, 20dmg until level 20, 30dmg until level 30. It's been this way since forever.

In addition there is a small strength bonus component that can cause you to go a few points over the cap with a high strength value.
I don't think this is accurate for p99.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=160 and https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...1&postcount=10
Old 10-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Planar Protector

Oh I stand corrected if so.

Quote:
Haynar: Implemented class specific level based weapon damage caps. Thanks Demonstar55 from EQEmu.
I never knew this, thanks for the link. I've always played a warrior and assumed the caps were the same for everyone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Average_Slash = (2 * Weapon_Base) + Bonus_Modifier + STR Modifier
That's from the wiki. Sadly, this formula is not telling us a whole lot about the input. I remember looking up the damage calculations a year or two ago (when there was a different formula on the wiki!) and coming to the conclusion that the only way to break the damage cap before 20 is to either twink heavy *or* play an ogre and getting a shaman buff. You'll need at least like 160 STR, if I recall correctly, to push that number up. You'd still need to be like level 13 or 14 though. Maybe the formula the wiki had before isn't applicable to p99, but was borrowed from another EMU. That's the only reason I can think of why they changed the displayed formula on the wiki.

However, using a higher damage weapon *and* having a high strength does mean you should be hitting for higher numbers on a more regular basis. In other words, you do more dps, but your max dps is definitely capped.

And that's why an enchanter should always bother to cast his +10 STR buff on those who melee. Every bit of extra attack matters.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's from the wiki. Sadly, this formula is not telling us a whole lot about the input. I remember looking up the damage calculations a year or two ago (when there was a different formula on the wiki!) and coming to the conclusion that the only way to break the damage cap before 20 is to either twink heavy *or* play an ogre and getting a shaman buff. You'll need at least like 160 STR, if I recall correctly, to push that number up. You'd still need to be like level 13 or 14 though. Maybe the formula the wiki had before isn't applicable to p99, but was borrowed from another EMU. That's the only reason I can think of why they changed the displayed formula on the wiki.

However, using a higher damage weapon *and* having a high strength does mean you should be hitting for higher numbers on a more regular basis. In other words, you do more dps, but your max dps is definitely capped.

And that's why an enchanter should always bother to cast his +10 STR buff on those who melee. Every bit of extra attack matters.
You're partly correct. You didn't read the whole section on the wiki, because it does correctly go into damage caps at different levels for the different classes. I editted my OP with this stuff after finding some posts after making this thread and not seeing anyone with conclusive info for me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Sarnak

I saw you guys already touched on that, so I didn't bother to go over that again. What I meant to highlight is that Strength is an actual input into the max damage calculation, but the listed formula fails to dissect the actual impact of the separate numbers that, once put through the formula, form the damage you do.

There used to be a formula on the wiki that did go into great detail on the impact of strength, but I guess it either wasn't correct (even though my experiments with it on a 10 to 20 paladin with dumb amounts of +STR gear proved it to be pretty much on point) or someone removed it for whatever reason they might have.

Like I said, if you can get to STR 150-160+ and you are level 14-15 with max weapon skills, you should break the hard damage cap by 1 point. The closer to 20 you get, the lower the excess strength you need to break that cap.

When your char hits 17-18 and gets a 20-25 STR buff, he should hit for 25 once in a while. Maybe even 26.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My 2HB Worn Great Staff is hitting for 12s @ level 3
Old 10-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Fire Giant

Beta and now green, off the top of my head, cap is 20 dmg to lvl 10, but not more than 2x weapon dmg. And dmg appears to be capped at 2x weapon dmg til 20; I don’t know about max of 28 as I never had more than 14 weapon dmg til after 20. This is as SK.

TL;DR Wiki appears to be correct (at least for SK)

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Closed Thread