Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM
Fire Giant

Default Strafe run

Just curious if any thought has gone into disabling strafe run?

After a quick search there’s been no discussion on it. Strafe run is something I wish I didn’t know and learned by playing on p99. (For those who don’t know, it allows you to move in such a way that prohibits mobs from hitting you while you’re being chased)

I feel it’s too powerful of a movement exploit. Obviously removing it wouldn’t be popular with pullers and kiters. What do people think?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:39 PM
Banned

move to resolved
Old 10-31-2019, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

It's classic I learned this at level 2 on a all starting points to wisdom rallos zek woodelf warrior in 1999
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Nein

It's been in since launch. It's due to how movement is calculated. two directions at once causes faster movement.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Fire Giant

shits classic.

move to resolved.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razdeline [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just curious if any thought has gone into disabling strafe run?

After a quick search there’s been no discussion on it. Strafe run is something I wish I didn’t know and learned by playing on p99. (For those who don’t know, it allows you to move in such a way that prohibits mobs from hitting you while you’re being chased)

I feel it’s too powerful of a movement exploit. Obviously removing it wouldn’t be popular with pullers and kiters. What do people think?
Classic. It also doesn't 100% prevent a mob from hitting you, as I've been hit by mobs while strafe running before. It just seems to significantly reduce the chance. If you wish you didn't know about it, nothing is stopping you from not utilizing the classic mechanic and dying on your run from a mob. Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic. It also doesn't 100% prevent a mob from hitting you, as I've been hit by mobs while strafe running before. It just seems to significantly reduce the chance. If you wish you didn't know about it, nothing is stopping you from not utilizing the classic mechanic and dying on your run from a mob. Enjoy!
I was anticipating this response from someone. I don’t have to use it sure, but the damage is already done by everyone else with this knowledge that currently use it. In a way I feel it disrupts the integrity of the game world.

Other than that, other things that were ‘classic’ here have been nerfed over the years due to being too powerful so I feel that argument wouldn’t align with the spirit of the project.

When running though, I do outpace mobs quickly. It isn’t as simple as a mob ‘sometimes not hitting you’- strafe running over a distance will create a sizable gap between you and that mob.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those are mobs that are able to run faster than strafe running. Strafe running will outrun most mobs who have normal run speed, others such as cats, raptors or sowd mobs, will still be able to hit (catch) you.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those are mobs that have been SoW'd and are able to run faster than strafe running
Like wolfs, shadow men, fast mobs for example.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:56 PM
Kobold

This was always in the game.

No offense, but if you don't like strafe run, then don't strafe run. I'm not sure how it affects you one iota if others do it.