Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 06:12 PM
Large Bat

Default Crashing when attempting to Enter World

I've been playing EQ99 for about 2-3 months now and I'm really enjoying it, especially during Covid-19.

Yesterday I zoned out of Mistmoore and crashed. That happens from time to time. Went to log back in and I'd crash every single time I hit "Enter World". Game music will continue to run but character animations on the login screen will freeze. If I leave it there is will eventually say "THE SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING." and drop me back to the login screen. Trying to login immediately again will show I have an active character online.

When this happened yesterday I uninstalled everything and started fresh. It took 3 attempts but eventually this worked and I was able to get back up and running. Played for 2-3 hours last night and then 5-6 hours today during conference calls. Switched characters, zoned, etc. About 6pm I went to ported to West Commons and crashed. Trying to re-enter the game I'm met with the crashes at login screen once again.

I've searched for this issue and don't see anyone with the same experience. I've done the "Run in Xp Service Pack 2" compatibility mode, I've done WinEQ2 to try and resolve issues and now I'm at a loss. About to uninstall and repeat the 2 hours process from last night in hopes that this doesn't become and issue again but in the meantime... anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?
Last edited by drisen; 06-03-2020 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Correcting the displayed error on attempted logins.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Large Bat

Couple additions I left out - Had a friend test to see if he could login. He could without issue. Complete re-install again this evening and hanging at the exact same place, as soon as I attempt to "Enter World" either through mouse click or pressing enter.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Try connecting via a hotspot or vpn to rule out connectivity problems. What you're describing sounds like a routing issue with your ISP. Unfortunately, the only fix is to wait for your ISP while you use an alternate means of connecting.

-Mcoy
Old 06-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Large Bat

Two more uninstalls/reinstalls last night and I'm back up and running. Changed characters and zoned several times without issues. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-07-2020, 12:54 AM
Large Bat

Everything ran perfectly for 2 days and once again I hang at login screen as soon as I attempt to "Enter World". Afraid this might be the end of my p99 days, just not worth the frustration.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try connecting via a hotspot or vpn to rule out connectivity problems. What you're describing sounds like a routing issue with your ISP. Unfortunately, the only fix is to wait for your ISP while you use an alternate means of connecting.

-Mcoy
Old 06-07-2020, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Just to add to what Mcoy is saying (repeatedly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]), this place has some unusual circumstances: we've literally had crazy players launch Denial of Service attacks on P99 because they got got cheating.

As a result, Rogean has had to implement some ... unusual networking techniques. And as a result of that, if your ISP doesn't "play by certain rules" ... even if most other places on the Internet don't care about those rules ... P99 will, and you can have issues related to your ISP.

Using a hotspot or VPN (only like $5/month and it lets you download bit torrents without your ISP knowing) bypasses the problem. So even if you don't want to use your phone or a VPN permanently just doing so temporarily can let you know if this is the issue.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. And then if it is a networking problem, you might be able to fix it by messing with settings on your router ... but that can be an annoying process (as every router is different), so you don't want to do it until you know that's the problem.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default crashing when trying to enter world

im currently having the same issue crashes everytime i try to enter the world
Old 06-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

I've had this issue a bunch in the past. It seems to happen when im working from home and using a work laptop that runs a VPN. The fix for me is unplugging my ISP modem for a few minutes. Sometimes I have to do this 2 or 3 times.