Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

My first and main character was a Wiz back in 2000.

A Wiz is pretty straightforward to play with regard to the mechanics - snare and nuke.

But it can be a difficult overall game experience. You can go everywhere, but you're not really wanted anywhere.

(Until you make some good friends. <3 Mystis)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

Thank you for all your answers, still digesting them, didn't understand everything, nothing new i n my case ;-)

For now, I'm battling, how to install EQ99 on Linux. After 4-5 hours and two different Linux distros (MX & Manjaro) still no success. For now I'm giving up, will later try on Mint. I found Linux guide thread here on this forums, but for now it is not working for me.

Of all your suggestions, seems like Wizard may be the simplest, easier, best fit for me? Not looking to power level. I will slowly level and try to enjoy the game. I typically don't play end of game content, raiding... I'm just too bad player for this, Also, not much time for playing...
Old 04-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Simplest AND easiest has to be Monk.
- Very few keys to click. Autoattack, Mend, Kick, Feign Death (FD). You can just know these 4 and be just fine. You'll need to learn how /assist works eventually but that can wait until you're 20+

- High survivability - you can FD and dodge 99% of dangerous situations. As soon as you learn the main stuff about FD, you'll almost never die until you get to the highest levels.

The main FD stuff is:
- For FD to work, you must turn autoattack off first, if you're autoattacking
- FD can fail, and you get "XX falls on the ground" message.
- A mob hitting you with a spell will break your successful FD. This includes AE spells and spells the mob started casting before you FD'd.

Mend is a self-heal ability. Mash it when you're hurt and eventually you will heal some HP.

That's pretty much all you need to know to play a Monk for a very long time. Zero spells to worry about, no mana. Your bare hands are deadly weapons too. No need to worry about getting any for a long time.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Simplest AND easiest has to be Monk.
- Very few keys to click. Autoattack, Mend, Kick, Feign Death (FD). You can just know these 4 and be just fine. You'll need to learn how /assist works eventually but that can wait until you're 20+

- High survivability - you can FD and dodge 99% of dangerous situations. As soon as you learn the main stuff about FD, you'll almost never die until you get to the highest levels.

The main FD stuff is:
- For FD to work, you must turn autoattack off first, if you're autoattacking
- FD can fail, and you get "XX falls on the ground" message.
- A mob hitting you with a spell will break your successful FD. This includes AE spells and spells the mob started casting before you FD'd.

Mend is a self-heal ability. Mash it when you're hurt and eventually you will heal some HP.

That's pretty much all you need to know to play a Monk for a very long time. Zero spells to worry about, no mana. Your bare hands are deadly weapons too. No need to worry about getting any for a long time.
Monk sounds interesting, will try it out, thanks. Is FD a spell?
Old 04-14-2020, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

I think Monk and Warrior both deserve an honorable mention as very simple classes ... but I still think it's hard to argue either one of them is simpler than Rogue (or Wizard/MAge, but it's more of an apples to oranges deal to compare melee to Int caster).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Monk and Warrior both deserve an honorable mention as very simple classes ... but I still think it's hard to argue either one of them is simpler than Rogue (or Wizard/MAge, but it's more of an apples to oranges deal to compare melee to Int caster).
Being able to pull as a monk has a high skill ceiling tho. So many bad monks out there.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgo86 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being able to pull as a monk has a high skill ceiling tho. So many bad monks out there.
Totally; the core of the class is simple, but it has dimensions.

And while I've never played a Warrior to high level, I understand that keeping agro actually requires some degree of "skill". I'm not trying to equate that to playing say an Enchanter or Shaman, but I think it pretty clearly requires more skill than pressing backstab when it pops [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Eh... rogue you have to position, and for that you kinda have to be aware of your surroundings unless you like attracting wanderers. But otherwise, yes rogue is easily the easiest class except when /corpse dragging in high level dungeons.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Kobold

Corpse dragging is super easy, the hard part of being a rogue is ....um....wait I'll think of something
Old 04-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

Monk is slightly more complicated, but a lot more forgiving then rogue, imho.

You can solo and duo way better, and mend/FD are good get out of jail free cards.

For that reason I'd say it's easier long term.
Closed Thread