Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Skope I am not going to say anything more than this: There are 20x more issues involved with having static timers as compared to a varience.
And there's better ways to solve the /petitions and clusterfucks that would ensue if it were removed. That's the gist of my argument. That's not me being hopeful, that's me being realistic. You could actually have LESS work to do with the raiding scene if it were done properly. But keeping variance in, especially for the future, only creates further problems that will need to be addressed. It's like seeing a really ugly wound and deciding to patch it up with a bandaid. and as the life of the server goes on the wound just gets more and more infected until you need surgery to properly clean it.
Last edited by Skope; 06-01-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And there's better ways to solve the /petitions and clusterfucks that would ensue if it were removed. That's the gist of my argument. That's not me being hopeful, that's me being realistic.
Get the rules changed, apply for guide status. Be online when each mob spawns.

Ding Fire Giant status. Doin' big things.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because, right now variance serves only that purpose: keep clusterfucks to bear minimum.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get the rules changed, apply for guide status. Be online when each mob spawns.

Ding Fire Giant status. Doin' big things.
From the same guy who couldn't voice his opinion in fear that durison would backslap him.

Two can play this game. My concerns/ideas are perfectly legitimate. Your nonsensical statements, though, aren't.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
My concerns/ideas are perfectly legitimate.
me2
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
From the same guy who couldn't voice his opinion in fear that durison would backslap him.

Two can play this game. My concerns/ideas are perfectly legitimate. Your nonsensical statements, though, aren't.
What? I was being serious and legitimate when I posted that. If you want the rules to follow something that we, as members of raiding guilds as well as GMs, are all well aware what kind of shitstorm it will bring, then be the one to babysit each and every situation. My concerns/ideas are perfectly legitimate.

Furthermore I'm fairly certain you are unaware of how Durison and I, or anyone else for that matter, interact so don't try to turn that into a personal flame.

EDIT: Here's my opinion: Variance allows a level of competition different from that of live. There are 5, 6, maybe even 7 guilds who consider themselves raiding guilds, and therefore would want raid targets. Rotations were tried on here and failed because no one is going to wait a month to take a stab at a raid target (assuming you get Trak, for example.. you wouldn't see it again till a month later, which would be worthless as far as a raid target/quest mob goes). It worked with two guilds, it failed with three.

If you work for it you have a much better shot at it. Similarly, if you don't track you don't even know when it was last killed until someone else tells you.

If mobs spawned on the dot you'd have a repeat of Noble Dojorn. Dojorn was one of the "raid" mobs I was referring to as he isn't important enough to always kill and was easily put on a rotation between a few guilds for the purpose of playing nice and not having any bad blood between them. When that rotation failed due to no shows the rotation ended. If every mob spawned on the dot you'd get into a situation where people won't want to play so nice because the targets are way more valuable, which is something Shiftin and quite a few others have been pointing out. These valuable targets would be FTE which would require a GM because at least two guilds will be going for it. Maybe in most cases it would simply lead to the same camp out on the spawn point issue and poopsocking would only continue. The easiest solution? Variance. Multiple mobs are in window and priorities are made. Sometimes races occur between the guilds that want the mob. They find new tactics to kill the mob, some of which are not new but were not widely used on live servers. This keeps it interesting. In the interest of not boring people to death with excessive variance windows I wouldn't mind a reduction from +/- 48 to +/- 24 or 36. That keeps it interesting and removes a portion of the frustration. Seems pretty legitimate to me.
Last edited by Aadill; 06-01-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

oh shutup... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Aadill, if you really want to know ways to bypass the shitstorm that will inevitably ensue, then PM me. I'm not offering alternatives here for a thread that will just head to RnF. There's rules now that most people abide by even with 3-4 guilds at a single target. shit, that happened just a couple of days ago. why the hell would adding another guild or two be any different?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Sarnak

Not one good reason for any of the guilds getting the kills to concede to surrender those kills.

You have a group of two hundred people going after a small number of targets. No matter what you say, no matter how you organize it, regulate it, oversee it, it will always leave someone unhappy.

Right now, the people who don't spend the time for the kills, or do not have the numbers, do not get the kills. There is no magic GM intercession directing these guilds to their targets; it is what it is because it is sought.

You offer solutions. Solutions to what? What is the problem? And can that problem (which I would argue is the curse of humans in groups) ever be solved?

If you remove the variance, we're back to poopsocking. It's that simple.
Last edited by Humwawa; 06-01-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned

The problem is something we crafted in order to defeat a problem (which it didn't defeat) is now dictating the way the raid scene works. It is the single biggest thing that's keeping this server from feeling like a true classic server.

Whether people/guilds like it or not doesn't matter. Just look at the recent dot nerf. There was one rule that trumped all player concerns and the moaning and bitching and that was: Is it classic? Quite clearly the answer here is no.

Two-boxing was classic and so was SEQ (though it became a bannable offense later). These things, among others, were banned for the general health of the server and its population. Assuming variance is one of these isn't just unfair, it's flat out untrue.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Variances were put in place to dissuade the poopsock phenomenon. It was done in order to improve the server raiding scene's "quality of life."

No amount of guild legislation can change the fact that the server's population has a higher number of gamers who have seen (and want to see again) EQ's endgame. Enforcing a rotational system will bring more and more guilds to petition entry to the rotation. The raiding scene then becomes bogged down with elaborate raiding rules that put our current rule set to shame in their complexity. The game ceases to be about mobilization and becomes a beaurocracy where the rules are made by those who wish to preserve their holdings at the higher tiers of content.

I see nothing wrong with the way things are, now. Certain allowances are made on this server to preserve the quality of gameplay - allowances that are not true to classic experience. That's reasonable.
Closed Thread