Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ used some sort of proprietary file for its music, although I think it was really just midi music converted to a different format so people couldn't easily listen to it out-of-game. An old EQ patch note for EQ suggests that most users heard pre-rendered music, although users with SBLive! or AWE32 cards got something different. If you can remember what hardware you had in 1999/2001 that'll let you know what you want to hunt for on youtube/elsewhere.

Danth
I had in the day an AWE32 and it was amazing, but I remember a friend of mine had this Pro Audio Spectrum soundcard, it was so advanced for the time it even had a SCSI interface.

I wonder how it would sound playing EQ?

He was the guy that showed off in the Adlib/SB 1.0 days how his Wing Commander intro sounded better than everyone elses.

These type of threads make me want to go buy me a real Mt 32 and other oldie gadgets. I left behind on my country a fully 1996 themed computer that ran all the classics in wonderful early vga colors with a trusty super bulky crt.

Nothing beats that nostalgia trip high as using actual vintage pieces haha
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMiy...=youtu.be&t=49

I think this sounds quite close to how a regular SB back then rendered the EQ MIDIs.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Banned

Freeport theme on 13 different MIDI wave table soundcards.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Banned

Post hmm

Quote:
The music for EQ started coming together as early as 1995 and was composed with the AWE32 soundcard in mind. By the late 90s most games moved away from MIDI soundtracks but EQ still supported ONLY the AWE32 and Sound Blaster Live! cards for hardware sound. From what I can tell, this is because the game client loaded a special EQ soundfont into the card which loaded instruments and drums unique to the game in addition to calling upon instruments native to the cards EMU8000 midi synth chip.
Quote:
I do enjoy MIDI quite a bit. The small bit of music that I heard was... actually quite amazing, really. I would have to wonder whether or not Everquest could be considered the pinnacle of MIDI music in PC gaming. It certainly hit very late to be a game that used MIDI.

I picked up the MIDI file archive and fired up the main theme (Intro) and it pretty much choked my equipment. The composer really did compose in a late era of MIDI as it uses a solid 16 channels and knocks down the polyphony door. I am fairly certain you would cripple a Yamaha DB50XG if you tried to play back some of this music on it. As I understand it, that DB50XG has 32 voice polyphony. Watching the MIDI playback voice count in MIDI Player while playing "Norrath Beckons," it looks like it is averaging 25-30, has some areas that clear 40, and tops out at around 70.

What does the box/manual say for recommended sound? Do you have it? Where did you read that the game was designed for the AWE32? Is there an official interview that mentions it, or is it speculation on a forum? Based on my short experience with Everquest MIDI, the AWE32 most likely couldn't deliver what was asked of it.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Sarnak

This is a cool project: https://soundcloud.com/eq-music-reimagined
Closed Thread