Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Fire Giant

Default Can I play p99 on these Linux OS?

I am about to set up some flash drives to run Ubuntu or Puppy Linux and I would like to set up EQ on a couple if I can. Anyone know if this can be done? I'm new to Linux.

BLUE
46 Warrior - Elkantor, 35 Shadowknight - Geldriia, 46 Enchanter - Shebreeze
Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

In theory it's possible; people in the technical forum have reported doing it.

In practice though ... well, I'm a programmer who has been using Linux since 1999, and even so I was never able to get P99 to work on either of my two Linux boxes. Sadly I have had to keep an entire Winblows install *just* for running P99.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Fire Giant

Hmm.. Looks like I'm probably going to need Wine. I probably need to find out these laptops hardware so I can see if I'll need Linux drivers or anything as well I assume?

Any other 'portable' OS I could use on my flash drives for p99?

BLUE
Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Kobold

I got it working on arch / wine and it was a PITA. If I did it again I would use x86 and find a better DE. I like XFCE as a general DE but you pretty much have to unanchor all of your bars or EQ fullscreen will crash, plus many other caveats, like getting fluidsynth working etc. Some DE's will only work in fullscreen, so you kind of have to find what suits your needs. Also, be ready to make tweaks to eqclient.ini in order to get it working. There was at least one setting, I don't remember what it is but it fixes no models, like no character, no NPC's or PCs.

I had intended on making a p99 only system, but didn't get very far before I got frustrated with the whole thing.

I've seen people getting it to work pretty easily on Ubuntu, and I would suggest playonlinux to manage your wine environments.

Pretty much any distro can be installed to a pendrive, the only thing to worry about that is how much you want to trim the fat. But if your new, just try ubuntu with playonlinux. There is a lot of support for many distros out there, but not for P99 so I would go with Ubuntu since you will have better luck finding other people trying to do the same thing you are.

Also when patching EQ using the files downloaded from P99 you have to make sure the case is not different, otherwise you will wind up with 2 files and who knows which will run. Like dsetup.dll and DSETUP.DLL
Last edited by Arkaan; 01-07-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

I downloaded Mint 17, I really like the interface. I'll download Ubuntu and see if I can't get it running.

Any problems with playing in windowed mode? I don't play in full screen.

I was planning on just copying my EQ files from my PC, will that be a problem with Linux?

BLUE
Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Played on Ubuntu for a few months took me extra time getting set up because I forgot Ubuntu is case sensitive with things like overwriting files, so I think dsetup.dll might need its name changed to all caps or something like that.

Was on an older comp and it actually ran eq better with open source vid drivers than windows (said drivers come with Ubuntu nowadays) , only downside was that there was less options for video resolution
Last edited by Laugher; 01-07-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I downloaded Mint 17, I really like the interface. I'll download Ubuntu and see if I can't get it running.
Mint IS Ubuntu, in just about every way that matters at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was planning on just copying my EQ files from my PC, will that be a problem with Linux?
IIRC that is the best way to do it; trying to do a completely fresh install in Linux doesn't work as well for some reason I don't remember.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Fire Giant

Awesome, I'm getting hella excited.

BLUE
Old 01-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

I copied EQ: titanium to a fresh wine prefix with playonlinux and ubuntu 14.04. It took me a while to get it running back on 12.04, but since I've made my P99 directory and backed it up, I just copy it into a fresh wine prefix as necessary. I've not had any issues as I've updated to newer OSes. I play 1920x1080 windowed.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I copied EQ: titanium to a fresh wine prefix with playonlinux and ubuntu 14.04. It took me a while to get it running back on 12.04, but since I've made my P99 directory and backed it up, I just copy it into a fresh wine prefix as necessary. I've not had any issues as I've updated to newer OSes. I play 1920x1080 windowed.
Would this be doable on the new Raspberry Pi 2 Model B? After all it got quad core and 1gb ram - plenty of more juice than back in the days [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread