Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default FAQ aside, EQ on large monitor?

Hello all. I am new to ‘coming back to EQ,’ having been gone 15 or more years and I have a few questions I cannot seem to find answers for.

Hear me out because I know this is in the P99 FAQ -- but is there a way to make EQ look a little better on modern monitors? I have a 4K monitor capable of 3840 x 2160. If I dink around with the eqclient.ini I can indeed run the game in Full Screen or windowed Full Screen. It looks great, however the UI elements are tiny and thus it’s not very practical to play that way.

Presently I have taken to lowering my monitor's resolution to 2046 x 1152 and just running EQ in a much smaller window. The downside here is that If I want to watch a movie in another window while I med in the game, because of the less-than-optimal resolution, it looks pretty splotchy and bad.

Is there a happy medium here? At the very least, it would be really nice not to have to keep changing my screen resolution every time I play EQ.

PS: I tried EQWIN2 or whatever it’s called and I was unable to get it to run. (In Windows 10 Anniv. Update, it crashes on launch regardless of run-as-admin or compatibility mode etc.)

Thanks,
Smartie, 28 GNecromancer
Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there a happy medium here?
Not really. Your options are pretty much:

1. Downsize your resolution before you play.

2. Play EQ in a much smaller window at your full resolution.

3. Both 1 + 2, as you've already done.

4. Manually resize all of the UI elements to fit your full resolution, which would be just about as hard as building your own UI from scratch. Doable, but you better brush up on your XML and get ready for a weeks-long project.

Additionally, something you can do if you want to automatically downsize your resolution when you load EQ is make a batch file for eqgame.exe, stick it in your EQ folder and then point your EQ shortcut to that. For example, make a new document with one line of text: "eqgame.exe /X 2046 /Y 1152" without the quotes, save it to your EQ directory as eqgame.bat, voila. When you run the batch file it will downsize to the resolution you want without having to go into fullscreen mode.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 10-05-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PS: I tried EQWIN2 or whatever it’s called and I was unable to get it to run. (In Windows 10 Anniv. Update, it crashes on launch regardless of run-as-admin or compatibility mode etc.)
Late response, but are you sure it's actually crashing? WinEQ2 doesn't load with a GUI, which might give the impression that it's crashing on startup. It just adds a system tray icon that lets you configure profiles for its supported games, and then loads a window for whichever game you choose to run through the system tray icon.