Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you spend an average of 200 hours to acquire a single 5k item, that works out to 25p/hour. Surely, you have better uses for your time if you're in Kedge's level range and specifically after plat. If you desperately need plat and have the bard capable of doing so, go Hill Giants all the way.

"Camping" ferocious is more for bored 60s that want the novelty of the chest - whether for nostalgia or simple rarity.
He's just about a level off from HG's, that was my next plan funnily enough. Sounds like I'm making the right call.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

this thread inspired me to try again. Saw two Ferocious in about 12 hours and the second one was pay dirt. I consider myself lucky. =)

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry I'm late to the party; I've been up in Alaska on a cruise and just got back.

Baler's half-right: while I never made a formal guide, I did camp the hell out of that Ferocious Shark for quite awhile and take notes in a spreadsheet for about 300-odd kills. I think I might have posted my results in the forum at some point (thus the "guide" Baler referred to), but rather than put the whole spreadsheet on the wiki I just summarized my findings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://wiki.project1999.com/Driftwood_Treasure_Chest
Since approximately 1/10th of the cauldron hammerheads respawn as ferocious hammerheads, and since approximately 1/10th of the ferocious hammerheads drop the chest, you can expect to kill approximately 90 cauldron hammerheads and 10 ferocious hammerheads for each dropped Driftwood Treasure Chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceparty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Saw two Ferocious in about 12 hours and the second one was pay dirt. I consider myself lucky. =)
Well, my results aren't big enough statistically to prove anything, but if they're something like 1 in 10 on average, getting 1 in 2 is definitely lucky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakubi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you guys even want that trash?
I'm a Barbarian Shaman: even without casting Focus I can carry all my gear, six driftwood chests and a few hundred coin, and still have 20 stones of encumbrance left over. And if I have Focus ... well I can carry a lot more coin.

So while it took me a very long time to get those chests, because I was able to do it while working all it really cost me was a few more minutes of work at the end of the day (or a few less minutes of goofing off on the forums) to get 6 "free" tink bags. Good deal in my book.

As for which camp is worse, it's really apples and oranges since the chest takes longer but the courier requires more active playtime. In a way I think the courier is worse because it has lower odds and thus more variability. Personally I've never gone even 150 sharks in a row without getting a chest, whereas with the Courier it's a complete crapshoot: you can luck out early, but usually you sit there for hours and hours knowing you might still have to sit for hours and hours.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-26-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 06-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perissh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chest is only worth about 100pp.
It sells for 4.5k or more (it's not as commonly sold so it's hard to gauge).

it's not at all the fastest way to make plat in a normal time sense, but it's not bad as an "AFK" camp.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Sarnak

I don't know how long I put in over one weekend, but I was camping him recently and I'm up to 42 courier spawns with no drop.

It's like.. idk. 15 hours of constant killing. I think it's a 22 second respawn, so one mob every 10 seconds or so. And god help you if you get drowsy or distracted for a moment and miss the spawn. The mob patrols instantly upon spawning and there's dozens of other mobs roaming around in the same area.
Last edited by Sillyturtle; 06-26-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Planar Protector

This all pales in comparison to waiting on Verina Tomb to spawn (perspective)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yea

Sssarn

Fantasy
Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm relatively inexperienced with EQ so I don't know what that is. I'll have a look into the Wiki. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Never had a problem with courier. Had an epic mage and once I found PHs I just used my keyboard to automate and my pet kept the PHs down while I jerked off or did something else.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never had a problem with courier. Had an epic mage and once I found PHs I just used my keyboard to automate and my pet kept the PHs down while I jerked off or did something else.
Pet class would make it easier. But even if you're one/twoshotting mobs as a melee class, that's still going to end up to - Kill mob. Turn around. Run 15 feet. Wait a moment. Kill mob. Turn around. Run 15 feet. Wait a moment. Kill mob. Etcetc

Like i said, I did it for something like 15 hours on a Saturday while keeping a count up in OOC channel of Courier spawns with no ring and I got to 42 before I gave up for the day.

RNG can hurt.
Closed Thread