Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
🧐
Old 08-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Orc

I hope I didn't sound like I was shaming you. I was trying to make it clear that's what I wasn't doing. /shrugs. I feel sometimes that every statement has a million interpretations and my brain doesn't work well so I cant think of them all. Its annoying.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're replacing one addiction with another.

Everquest isn't the answer you are looking for.

Go to church. Study history. Become the man you are destined to be.

Your ancestors survived for hundreds of thousands of years in much harsher conditions than you are in now. You objectively have an easier life than ANY of your forefathers.

Man the fuck up dude. Seriously.
Hunter gatherers actually worked substantially less hours than subsistence farmers, who in turn worked less hours than modern workers once accounting for reduced work in the winter.

Of course subsistence farming is a very hard grind for the months where there is a lot of work dawn til dusk. And is less likely to provide as good a diet as hunting/gathering (although a more reliable one thanks to silos and crops that can be kept in edible condition for long periods of time).

Not saying either lifestyle was easier than modern life (especially considering the miraculous, cheap, effective healthcare available to 1st world countries). Just there are a lot of hours of monotonous work 13 months a year with little respite in modern life. I think the desire 'to escape' harkens back to the natural human lifestyle; nomadic hunter gatherers.
Last edited by Jimjam; 08-21-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 02:48 AM
Fire Giant

I used this game back in 2009 when I had a very close, tragic death. It was good for awhile, then I ended up struggling with too much booze that I had to recover from since EQ + drinking = fun.

It's an escape sure. But don't let it be your therapist either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfight
"President, its time to shut the fuck up."
Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

Your ancestors survived for hundreds of thousands of years in much harsher conditions than you are in now. You objectively have an easier life than ANY of your forefathers.

You know nothing, Jon Snow
Old 08-21-2019, 03:06 AM
Sarnak

It's been my experience that most people are broken in some way or another. You shouldn't regret posting this. I think many serious and long term players on P99, myself included, use the game to escape from real life. Everyone has struggles and things in their life that they wished were going better. Anyone who says different is full of shit. Personally, I have found that P99 has helped me through some very tough times. Everquest is such a social game that if you play long enough you will find friends and fun challenges. It can make a great hobby but it's important not to let it become your life. Surround yourself with the right people and always remember that this is a video game and you may just find that when things in real life are going poorly you still have something to look forward to. That has been my experience anyway.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 AM
Orc

Quote:

You can't compare the stresses of modern life to historical life just because they were living in "harsher conditions." Yes, physically life in the past was more demanding, but I'd argue that emotional and psychological strain of modern life is much more intense. If life is so much easier now than in the past, then why do we see this rise in depression, addiction, etc. of the past few decades?

I also think advice like "man up" is a really shitty thing to say to someone who is struggling at any point in their life. I don't know about the rest of you, but that kind of jock bullshit was one thing I could escape from in EQ. Being able to talk about your emotions or stresses doesn't make you less of man, it makes you more of one. It takes a lot more bravery and strength to talk about problems than it does to "man up" and pretend they don't exist.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:13 AM
Sarnak

I am terminally ill and have stabbing pains most every day. Each day is a new private Hell in some way. Everquest is a great release from the pain and as well as the stress from private sector programs. You are not alone in your escape sir. The method is how to deal with your circumstances and provide adequate escape and still manage to be productive. Everything is a balance in life. Yin and Yang, light and dark. Find your balance and your path and get to level 60 in the outside world and on Norrath.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Dealing with your problems is "manning up".

Trying to bully people is what children do.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Fire Giant

Some of the most nostalgic memories I have are from 1999-2000, playing EverQuest right next to my father. I only got to play every other weekend at his house, the 11 days I wasn't at his house I daydreamt about playing constantly. I had a family guild, an EverQuest "Mom" (AKA the woman my dad e-dated) and I loved it. The game has always felt like magic to me.

I don't really have addiction issues, although one may take a look at my play time and say otherwise. A lot of things in my life are going well. My daughter is 5 years old and is the sweetest little girl. I have a great, supportive career, with my own big office and unlimited advancement opportunities.

But what I do have, is extreme sleeping issues. Always have. Bad Insomnia (can't stop thinking about stuff while laying in bed, however not in angst) Sleep Apnea (even though i'm in decent shape + have had several throat surgeries to correct this) and even "Severe Restless Leg Syndrome". Coupled with life long depression, I find myself playing for hours and hours on end during the wee hours of the night when sleeping seems impossible.

This is the first MMORPG (p99) I have committed so many hours to. I have 3 level 60's. I love our community. It's easy to just pop on to say hi to some people and get sucked into a 5 hour adventure.

Even though my life is going.. pretty okay, Norrath is my happy place.

If anyone ever wants to talk, don't hesitate to speak to me on the forums or in game. I'm always willing to help. Whether it be with some Real Life advice, some plat for your first toon, or if you need one of my bad ass toons for some adventure.

Love you all <3