Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 08:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know how SDLC works and why its important. But again - are you really going to go trough all this steps and months of reviews when you want to adjust drop rate of Rusty Dagger from 2.5% to 2.51%? I mean seriously?

And the real reason why "they haven't done't it yet" - is because shit isn't "classic". But not because they do not have the manpower of putting a Leash flag on a dozen of dragons in NTOV
Except that you clearly don't understand any of it. Your original suggestion was: point, click, and change a value in a DB. Nobody who understood why a SDLC is important would suggest that. You write a script, and it goes through normal change management, whatever that may be in this case.

One day when you are in charge of something of actual importance, you'll understand the reasons for following standards. And you'll get to explain these reasons to junior developers, sort of like I'm doing for you.

However, you are correct about one thing: The reason they haven't done it yet is likely because they don't want to. It's probably not a change that should be made.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except that you clearly don't understand any of it. Your original suggestion was: point, click, and change a value in a DB. Nobody who understood why a SDLC is important would suggest that. You write a script, and it goes through normal change management, whatever that may be in this case.

One day when you are in charge of something of actual importance, you'll understand the reasons for following standards. And you'll get to explain these reasons to junior developers, sort of like I'm doing for you.
And that's why SIMPLE changes take MONTHS to implement. Because people apply these standards to things that don't require them.

I mean do you want me to show you where you need to point and click to set Leash flag?
Here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NTOV.jpg (20.2 KB, 16 views)

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Fire Giant

This is super fascinating, guys. Thank you for sharing it here instead of in PMs.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:48 PM
Sarnak

Hey! That sure is simple.

You’ll revisit the issue on the next iteration of the server because you don’t understand why change management is important. Or God forbid you have a DB rollback, then you get to do this again, if you remember it. Or maybe you make a typo when you point and click in prod because you were too lazy to write a script. Or you miss a couple of records you updated in Dev.

Or you could just take the time to do it properly.

You do it your way though, kiddo. Just on your own server though because it’s not classic.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey! That sure is simple.

You’ll revisit the issue on the next iteration of the server because you don’t understand why change management is important. Or God forbid you have a DB rollback, then you get to do this again, if you remember it. Or maybe you make a typo when you point and click in prod because you were too lazy to write a script. Or you miss a couple of records you updated in Dev.

Or you could just take the time to do it properly.

You do it your way though, kiddo. Just on your own server though because it’s not classic.
a) back up Db before doing changes - point & click
b) write an sql line that adjusts not 1 mob but 12 and save it somewhere - 1 min
c) run your sql line - 10 seconds
d) back up DB after doing the changes - point & click

Are we done?

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a) back up Db before doing changes - point & click
b) write an sql line that adjusts not 1 mob but 12 and save it somewhere - 1 min
c) run your sql line - 10 seconds
d) back up DB after doing the changes - point & click

Are we done?
I am now 100% certain you have no idea what you’re doing.

When you create the new server, green or whatever, out of the hundreds/thousands of changes, how do you remember that this change was applied?

How do you know whether this change should be applied at the beginning of Velious and not this point in the timeline?

How do the other devs on the team know what you just did?

You also left out testing, conveniently. And did you do this directly in production?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I am now 100% certain you have no idea what you’re doing.

When you create the new server, green or whatever, out of the hundreds/thousands of changes, how do you remember that this change was applied?

How do you know whether this change should be applied at the beginning of Velious and not this point in the timeline?

How do the other devs on the team know what you just did?

You also left out testing, conveniently. And did you do this directly in production?
Except - I don't care about those OTHER changes. I don't care about timeline changes. I don't care about Green shit. I was asked on implementation of specific feature - I got it under 5 min. And testing in this case is done by repoping npcs in question - even server reset is not required. Again I am NOT rewriting any part of the code that actually requires testing.

"How do the other devs on the team know what you just did?" - you put it into log. "Updated npcs flags set BLA to X/Y - see this sql line"

[Zuranthium;1453395]
Closed Thread