Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-22-2023, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah if the quote is specific to raiding that makes sense, as you are probably not getting the full 100 STR due to it being closer to cap already from gear and FoS.

Thanks for the clarity.
I also think you underestimate how good 5% boost in general is, an entire raid 5% higher is a lot of cumulative dps, a lot of people are raiding months to add any % , 5 is a lot.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also think you underestimate how good 5% boost in general is, an entire raid 5% higher is a lot of cumulative dps, a lot of people are raiding months to add any % , 5 is a lot.
The context in which you use the 5% matters.

If you are talking about the starting stat thread, you need to remember the context. In a raid you are getting enough STR from buffs to cap STR, so you are getting no DPS benefit from the extra 20 STR from starting stats.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The context in which you use the 5% matters.

If you are talking about the starting stat thread, you need to remember the context. In a raid you are getting enough STR from buffs to cap STR, so you are getting no DPS benefit from the extra 20 STR from starting stats.
i think your biggest issue dsm is your only willing to look at things in context of black and white. most dont get benefit of avatar or being capped or whatever for awhile. is there a theoretical bis stat? sure, is the 4 years of waiting to get to that point less important and not quality use of the stat until then? you are only willing to list the absolute best case instead of qualifying what it takes for someone to get there as if those time periods are not worth anything. if you are still benefiting from str which lot do, then the boost of dps is still nice. hell you cant even cap sta on your big ass SK without primal essence. Instead of just shutting down people as always being wrong, try having a conversation. When you talk the way you do, you dont invite conversation you invite conflict.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i think your biggest issue dsm is your only willing to look at things in context of black and white. most dont get benefit of avatar or being capped or whatever for awhile. is there a theoretical bis stat? sure, is the 4 years of waiting to get to that point less important and not quality use of the stat until then? you are only willing to list the absolute best case instead of qualifying what it takes for someone to get there as if those time periods are not worth anything. if you are still benefiting from str which lot do, then the boost of dps is still nice. hell you cant even cap sta on your big ass SK without primal essence. Instead of just shutting down people as always being wrong, try having a conversation. When you talk the way you do, you dont invite conversation you invite conflict.
This is the problem. You make assumptions about people, create a strawman, and then talk to the strawman.

I wouldn't be asking you to look at the context if I thought in black and white.

I do not shut down conversations or tell people they are always wrong. You are applying black and white thinking to me with that kind of talk lol.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This is the problem. You make assumptions about people, create a strawman, and then talk to the strawman.

I wouldn't be asking you to look at the context if I thought in black and white.

I do not shut down conversations or tell people they are always wrong. You are applying black and white thinking to me with that kind of talk lol.
ok bro, good luck
Old 08-22-2023, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Half of Avatar at creation

Or

A bit more mana

(lol)
Old 08-22-2023, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half of Avatar at creation

Or

A bit more mana

(lol)
Last time I checked 20 isn't half of 100.

In the context of raiding, the 10% boost is from the ATK, not the STR. This is due to stat caps.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-22-2023 at 09:36 AM..
Old 08-22-2023, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

We seem to have crossed our streams at this point. If we want to continue discussing starting stats on a new iksar sk … maybe go back to the other thread.

For the purposes of this thread, my vote remains troll. You get big boy stats, can use kunark clickies, can slam with any weapon and have innate regen.

Alternatives:

Iksar: bad starting stats, can’t slam or use kunark clickies … but you you have regen and ac bonus.
Ogre: good stats, big boy perks, have FSI, but no regen.
The rest: meh stats, no slam, no regen or FSI but have fashionquest potential.

For “best”, in my opinion it’s really between ogre and troll - so FSI vs regen. For a melee who’s gonna take a bunch of damage over the course of their life I opt for regen … esp as a FD class who may need to ‘stay down’ at times. FSI is undeniably useful on a casting tank but I’d pass on it personally.

YMMV
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 08-22-2023 at 09:41 AM..
Old 08-22-2023, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Rule of thumb estimations are exactly that. If you build a house like that it will be a bit janky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

It likely also depends on the class. Some such as knights have less attack than rangers/warriors/monks. 100 attack (I’m assuming strength is already capped) in theory should do more for them than the others. Still, a 10-15% spread feels right. I’ve parsed a lot with my non-primal Pally next to another with similar gear and they are frequently about that much higher. The ranger is more wonky due to getting bow crits; on a short fight a few 400dmg hits with the BFG certainly pushes up the average. In my one test though I’m certainly a believer.

If you think about it, 5-10% is a solid upgrade especially if you’re 60. Most ToV upgrades going from near BiS to BiS is about that. For a ranger it’s like Kflame to Baton of Flame. For a SK going from a Reaver to a Rocksmasher is about 13%. An Eyepatch of Plunder is 20% haste but at 100% haste it reduces your delay by half; so really it’s about a 10% increase while soloing.

Not to put my thumb on the scale of what you should do (I’m tired of fighting) but this is a slow and relentless math game. NPC’s scale much better than PC’s. Ragefire gloves and turtle belts are silly on paper but it’s important not to get complacent with stats. Carry a bunch of things to swap out, whether it’s mana gear, str-dps gear, and tanking stuff. You can always destroy muffins if you win a /random in a dungeon.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

Attack off strength scales quite a bit better at 60. Someone could start a level 1 ogre and level 1 dark elf and just compare attack when you equip the starter weapon.

At level 60, I recall a knight gets about 1 attack for 1 strength to 255. No stats are “needed” to play this game at a high level but a small SK 40 strength under the cap will do less dps on average than a fatty assuming same weapons. That’s basically innate CoTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For “best”, in my opinion it’s really between ogre and troll - so FSI vs regen. For a melee who’s gonna take a bunch of damage over the course of their life I opt for regen … esp as a FD class who may need to ‘stay down’ at times. FSI is undeniably useful on a casting tank but I’d pass on it personally.

Given the annoyance of pulling with less than an instant FD I’d prob value FSI over regen. The stats are also way easier to tweak for a casual player to meet the threshold for capping with shaman buffs (outside deck/agil). I do like trolls more looks-wise and the regen can be handy. Definitely for like farming greens. There might be a point where the 40 less intel will be annoying when soling stuff but we are mainly talking stunt kills for the sub 1% of players. I expect these people could do the same with any race, tbh. Especially with willsappers, primal, etc.

Like you said, YMMV. I’m pushing an erudite up simply for less xp penalty and no shrink pots needed in HK. I’ll hit 60 and prob not do more than thurg plate MQ’s. Wish she could use a Frostreaver tho…
Last edited by Snaggles; 08-22-2023 at 10:08 AM..