Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Respawn timers on TAKP are very similar to P99, so nobody is getting BIS in all slots there. (or maybe just a few) I dunno where you're getting that from.
IMO most of Temerity's core are BIS for Velious or close:
It's not a progression server where literally everyone is BIS, but raid gear does rain from the sky there relative to Project 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hit level 50 on project 1999 in a couple weeks, then when Kunark opened, I hit 60 in about three more weeks. Level 55 in 3 months isn't unusual. Don't assume his entire guild is all 3 month old players, either.
You're actually quite hardcore, Torven. 0-50 in 3 weeks isn't that easy unless you have a PBAE bard or a good charming enchanter.

Anyway, by far the biggest issue with TAKP IMO is the boxing (and Monk AC, of course). Boxing makes everything more work and less sociable. And you really can't single box without feeling like a slacker. But I know we agree there.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Kobold

I'm sure Temerity has a few members (I'd be somewhat interested to know exactly how many) with characters having every Vulak drop they want + every other drop they want, but there are reasons for this:

A) Only Temerity can kill Vulak (unless I'm mistaken, I don't keep tabs on guilds)
B) 3 box server means you can funnel gear to one character, essentially tripling your loot, or significantly increasing it anyway.
C) Velious being open for 21 months. Although Vulak wasn't killed until 6 months or so into the expac
D) TAKP's relatively low population

A and B are mostly caused by D. There's not much I can do about D. Apparently I could replicate every mechanic and NPC with 100% precision and we'd still not have 500 CCU. Anyway, TAKP having low population doesn't make it 'less EQ' than P99.

I leveled to 50 on P99 by quad kiting on a druid. 40-50 was done quad kiting in Oggok. P99's guards had typical MR values instead of the higher than typical values they should have. (when I played on AK, I checked the guards for lulz. AK guards resisted more) I did see some other players leveling as fast as I was just from grouping-- an SK in particular that I recall.

In Kunark, I charmed raptors and the bear pit in perma. Outdoor charming with fear + roots + snare + 70% haste + wolf form + heals all in one class is rather effective.

Incidentally 1-50 took me two weeks on AK using MGBs and playing more casually.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ya, quite a few of us are BiS or close to it. Though some of us are saving up DKP for Luclin instead of side-grading in Velious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] . If Velious was the last expansion, more of us would be BiS by now.

TAKP's relatively low population with almost 2 years of Velious is definitely the biggest contributing factor to Temerity being so well geared. That and our monopoly on Vulak ring. (I'd love to see another guild take out Vulak before Luclin releases.. *cough-NAG-cough*)

Regardless of the population, getting a character to BiS in Luclin will be MUCH harder. I'd be shocked if anyone on the server is full BiS Luclin gear when PoP is released.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

I honestly do not understand why TAKP can't get more than 10% of P99's playerbase. Let me think this through. There are four big differences that I can see:
  • TAKP is Planes of Power Era vs Project 1999 in Velious. In the immortal words of Fieldfare: "please god no more Velious". Edge: TAKP
  • TAKP has staff enforced rotations vs Project 1999's 'competition'. There are STILL threads in P99 RNF about how player X can't get their epic due to other people out-nerding them. No need to say more here, although monthly resets have supposedly helped massively. Clear Winner: TAKP
  • TAKP's garbage client vs Project 1999's gimped titanium. Aside from a small group of status signalers, no one likes shit interfaces. TAKP's client isn't terrible, but the lack of 3rd person scroll, the 10 macro limit, and the inability to 'target nearest' practically anything don't help. Winner: Project 1999, until Nilbog gets the trilogy client working
  • TAKP allows boxing. I really think this is the biggest difference. P2002 for example does not afaik have many players, despite the Titanium interface. Boxing wrecks the social aspects of the game and massively increases the amount of work necessary.

So IMHO if you want 500+ primetime users, all you have to do is start a new server that supports the Titanium client (can't be that hard if P2002 can do it) and does not allow boxing. Add legacy items like the guise and fungi staff for a few months to give people an incentive to join. And that would be that. In fact I would venture to guess that half of the current TAKPers would switch as well.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

you're trash if you prefer titanium over the takp client
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Developer

Takp client is a huge turn off to many people.

No mouse wheel zoom in/out is often a deal breaker.

Scroll wheel is so important, they didnt want to disable on p99 because it would upset too many. Even as classic die hards as they are here. It was something they left alone.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you're trash if you prefer titanium over the takp client
I'm the trashman! QOL from Titanium is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Takp client is a huge turn off to many people.

No mouse wheel zoom in/out is often a deal breaker.

Scroll wheel is so important, they didnt want to disable on p99 because it would upset too many. Even as classic die hards as they are here. It was something they left alone.
I've achieved an acceptable camera experience through the practice of using the F9 camera options and numpad to move it around. It may not be as snappy as scrolling out but it works and frankly I was using a few of the F9 camera angles on p99 too. So really it just one missing camera angle out of like ?6.

The one thing I recommend to all is to disable mouse camera look. It resets some of the angles in different F9 camera choices and is frustrating to have to keep fixing.

---
TAKP is worth a try. Plus people can play p99 at the same time. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
all you have to do is start a new server that supports the Titanium client (can't be that hard if P2002 can do it)
P2002 switched to Titanium because they were forced to after we closed source on them before Haynar fixed major issues with the netcode that was making raiding a linkdeath fest. They launched Kunark without disciplines or boats functional, so they certainly couldn't handle netcode.

It probably would have been easier for us had we gone with Titanium in the first place. We chose to go with the older client. This is not something that will change. Frankly playing AK from P99 for me wasn't that big a deal so I don't understand the disdain. People play these emus for the classic experience, but don't want a classic client? Seems illogical to me. I suspect that had p99 launched with trilogy, that few would be complaining about clients.

We did discuss adding mousewheel camera. I wouldn't object to this personally if I could somehow know that it would get us significantly more players, but I would hate to compromise on this for nothing. TAKP devs disagree on many issues and this is one of them however.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Orc

Quote:
They launched Kunark without disciplines or boats functional
Disciplines work just fine, and who needs boats when you got Translocators.

Quote:
P2002 for example does not afaik have many players, despite the Titanium interface.
P2002 has more than double TAK's population because they use the superior client, and that's without artificially inflating player numbers with extra bazaar boxes.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I admit I do wish we could use titanium on TAKP. But being forced to use a client from 2002 is a small price to pay for how polished and accurate TAKP is.

I think you can want a classic experience, but still desire QOL. I always thought that 2002 era EQ would be so amazing with revamped up to date graphics, and a modern MMO client. This will never happen of course, but being able to use titanium would be the next best thing (and no p2002 isn't an option or even desireable for me)

The client used may be a contributing factor for why p2002 has a higher population, but I would have thought it was because they've already released Luclin and PoP, mostly.